Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What factory made this Dorwal action?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
NorthernBob
.224 member

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Northern Alberta
What factory made this Dorwal action?
      #167662 - 13/09/10 04:24 AM

I was hoping the experts would be able to help me out on identifying the factory that made this barrel and action. Just in front of the rear sight Germany is stamped. The top of the barrel just in front of the receiver is stamped H. Dorwal M98X8. I've found a bit of info on Dorwal, he made good quality knives in Germany. I've found a few references to similar mausers either made or resold by Dorwal. Other than the stamps above the only other marks visible with the wood on is the serial number 1249 on the right side of the receiver ring. 249 is also stamped on the side of the tang above the trigger guard, the underside of the butterknife bolt, and the rear action screw. There isn't much for proofmarks on it. The only stamps are on the bottom of the action just back of the recoil lug. Nothing at all on the barrel. Would this be a reworked military action? The barrel and action are in great shape and I was thinking of restocking it. Would this be a good action for a custom build? Any info or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by CptCurl (13/09/10 08:41 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: What factory made this Dorwal action? [Re: NorthernBob]
      #167673 - 13/09/10 07:29 AM

The triggerguard doesn`t look like a standard german K98..it looks a little smaller than standard.

For me it looks like a M98 of a polish make like Danzig etc. The proofmarks either isn`t german.

I guess Poland!.

rgg_7
.275 member

Reged: 22/10/07
Loc: Canada
Re: What factory made this Dorwal action? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #167706 - 13/09/10 10:12 PM

H Dorwal "sporterized" Mauser for the commerical marketsimilar to Parker Hale and a host of other small companies. I've never seen any proof marks on them. You see a lot of these in Canada. All are 98 large ring. mostly GEW's...... sones had the receivers ground to small ring size. The builds were very standard as exhibited by your barrelled action. You should slug the bore as a large majority were the .318" rather than the .323". If the bore is good and .323" it would be work restocking. Hope this helps, Ron

NorthernBob
.224 member

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Northern Alberta
Re: What factory made this Dorwal action? [Re: rgg_7]
      #167785 - 15/09/10 01:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. Three of the four Dorwal rifles I've found online are in Canada, just as this one is. RM's commment on the possibility of it being Polish sent me to check on a sporterized military rifle I have that was made at Radom in 1930. The markings didn't match up at all, but I don't have a Danzig to compare with. I'd prefer if it had a .323 bore for bullet availability, but I have a Sauer & Sohn with a .318 bore and have some Woodleighs around to load for it if it is. There is nothing to indicate the bore diameter stamped on the rifle.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: What factory made this Dorwal action? [Re: NorthernBob]
      #167842 - 16/09/10 07:11 AM

This action was composed from different WW1 M98 rifles, but not Polish ones. The large ring receiver is from a Gewehr 98 infantry rifle, made by one of the German Government arsenals. The small letters and numbers on the underside were factory-internal quality controls for the various machining steps, unidentifiable now. As usual, the original markings on the outside have been scrubbed. The flat bolthandle is a modification popular in Germany during the interwar years.The magazine assembly with the small trigger guard and the straight trigger come from an Kar98a carbine, also of WW1 vintage.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7170

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com