Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Swimming lessons for a GSP

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Swimming lessons for a GSP
      #167758 - 14/09/10 09:17 PM

My poor GSP Blitzen is having a lot of trouble swimming.

The River which runs through my property was largely dry for the first eighteen months of his life, and not much water elsewhere either.

So he didn't get much swimming in and often it was only shallow anyway.

Siegfried my previous GSP was a real water baby and would jump into the water at the slightest pretext Summer or Winter.

Took Blitzen out for a swim on the weekend. We have had the river flooded and it dropped to a better level. He didn't take much to go for a swim but the second time the poor dog looked like he was panicking and try to stand up with his head as high as possible. Really splashing and getting nowhere. Thought I might have to jump in to get him out, but he splashed his way out himself.

Bit of a worry that he is having trouble swimming.

So decided to take him swimming as much as possible at least once each day for practice.

The river was up and high again yesterday due to rains, but today was lower so he had another session.

A couple of short swims but he is quite hesitant. Still he is wagging a lot and having great fun anyway, and seems to enjoy the water, just not swimming. He can be coaxed in though.

So I guess practice, practice, practice, and getting my waders out to get in myself might be the answer.

What suggestions do people have? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Swimming lessons for a GSP [Re: NitroX]
      #167772 - 15/09/10 05:32 AM

Waders on and walk out with a couple of Off Chop's ,have him hungry...he will swim alright.

Breaking my pups into water of any sort asap after they are weaned..best way is a shallow creek thats narrow and then cross it with their Dam,some cross right away, some sit and howl but they all will cross eventually,repeat a few times and thats it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Swimming lessons for a GSP [Re: gryphon]
      #167796 - 15/09/10 04:03 PM

Gryph,

Yep that sounds the way.

All the creeks and rivers were dry for almost the first 18 months. Even the "spring fed" creek holes mostly dried up or were paddling pools only.

Except for a week or so, often 3 days of a "flood".

This is has the first decent prolonged flow period, and its maybe four weeks so far only. Hopefully lasts another four or more.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Cigar
.224 member

Reged: 10/10/10
Loc: Maryland
Re: Swimming lessons for a GSP [Re: NitroX]
      #169755 - 17/10/10 04:48 PM

I have help to train a few retrievers in the last 6 years.. I have seen dogs refuse to get wet, water freaks, paddlers and a few fish...

Make it fun for him.. The pup is young and it's all new to him.. Just make it fun so there is nothing bad associated with water.. Then you will be fine..

BillA
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/11
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Swimming lessons for a GSP [Re: Cigar]
      #179413 - 19/04/11 10:05 AM

Ok, I've had Brittanys for over 25 years now so I might be able to offer a suggestion or two.

Many people think that because 'a gundog is a gundog' that things such as swimming, retrieving, etc come naturally & therefore there's no work needed from the owner.
With some dogs that's true. You do get those that love to swim & retrieve from a very early age, but you also get those that lack a bit in desire &/or confidence.
That's not a problem, as his trainer it's your job to instill that confidence.
Britts aren't the most natural of retrievers. Yeah they'll do it, some do it very well, but they certainly aint Labradors.

There's no point trying to get a dog to retrieve if he's worried about keeping his head above water. So confidence with swimming is a first priority.
Now we've all seen & heard of the guy that throws his dog in to teach him to swim.
Nothing could be worse for a dog.
Can you imagine the sheer terror the poor, young bloke must go through as his trusted & loved owner heaves him into the unknown?

If you want to build a dog's confidence swimming then be prepared to get in there with him.
Nothing will give him more confidence then his master being there with him, to protect him as he starts out. If it's too strong for you to swim in then it's too strong for a starter dog to learn in.

So, get in there & have fun with your fella. Help him enjoy the new experience & show him there's nothing at all to fear. Give him time to learn & with you beside him he'll gain confidence & grow to love water work.
Then he'll take to retrieving with relish & eventually make a fine duck dog.

Bill Allen
Melbourne Australia.

--------------------
Bill Allen 'Windkael' Epagneuls Bretons. Melbourne Australia.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Swimming lessons for a GSP [Re: BillA]
      #179434 - 19/04/11 03:22 PM

Hi John,

If all else fails, I have some "Water Wings" here you can have....

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

BillA
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/11
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Swimming lessons for a GSP [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #179481 - 20/04/11 09:22 AM

Nah, anything with wings in the water is supposed to be retrieved.
The dog'll end up chasing himself.

--------------------
Bill Allen 'Windkael' Epagneuls Bretons. Melbourne Australia.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3060

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com