Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Good pictures:LOL

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Good pictures:LOL
      #167597 - 12/09/10 12:52 AM

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/The_Ghost_and_the_Darkness

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Good pictures:LOL [Re: rigbymauser]
      #167601 - 12/09/10 12:58 AM

Good stuff.

I reckon using those frames, we could identify the actual firearms on here.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Good pictures:LOL [Re: NitroX]
      #167629 - 12/09/10 01:42 PM

The Farquharson is a neat variant.
The lever on the right is not a safety as would be found on a Jeffery, but a cocking lever.
In the scene, there is a closeup of the gun when he attempts to fire it and the lever can clearly be seen falling. All he had to do is pull the lever back to try again at a shot.
Cool cutaway recesses on the action too.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
Re: Good pictures:LOL [Re: Huvius]
      #168101 - 21/09/10 03:00 AM

Looks like the top photo came from one of our forum members. I hoped they used it with permission!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Good pictures:LOL [Re: jc5]
      #168126 - 21/09/10 08:18 AM

The confrontation with Douglas shows he does not have a double barreled breechloading Howdah as noted, but a 4 barreled, swivel breech cap lock pistol. In these pictures, the barrels with attached bayonete are on the bottom. Quite a piece.

That the pistol might have been made soley for the movie and could actually be a prop, is quite possible. There is a strap underneath the action fitting quite tightly against the tops of the patent breeches. It does not have enough clearance for the high-standing nipples as eveident on the top-most barrels. The high standing capped nipples themselves are not normal for an English piece - more likely to be cound on a modern Italian replica of their own poor design, which is typical - see Pedersoli's.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Good pictures:LOL [Re: jc5]
      #168166 - 22/09/10 12:18 AM

Quote:

Looks like the top photo came from one of our forum members. I hoped they used it with permission!

OK I looked for that image on the NE forums. It does look familiar but couldn't find that specific one.

Actually doing an image search of the forums.nitroexpress.com domain, it is amazing what pictures we have here. Astounding. Well done to the members.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Good pictures:LOL [Re: DarylS]
      #168199 - 22/09/10 06:06 AM

Quote:

The confrontation with Douglas shows he does not have a double barreled breechloading Howdah as noted, but a 4 barreled, swivel breech cap lock pistol. In these pictures, the barrels with attached bayonete are on the bottom. Quite a piece.

That the pistol might have been made soley for the movie and could actually be a prop, is quite possible. There is a strap underneath the action fitting quite tightly against the tops of the patent breeches. It does not have enough clearance for the high-standing nipples as eveident on the top-most barrels. The high standing capped nipples themselves are not normal for an English piece - more likely to be cound on a modern Italian replica of their own poor design, which is typical - see Pedersoli's.

What do you mean, that the frontsuffer he is holding is a four barreld one?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
Re: Good pictures:LOL [Re: NitroX]
      #171934 - 23/11/10 03:43 PM

That image is one of Rowdy's, I'm sure.

Having had the displeasure of seeing entire paragraphs of my own posts used without credit on other forums (on Lee Speeds, of course), I get a bit miffed with this kind of laziness. But then, who knows? Maybe Rowdy wrote up the whole page on Ghost & the Darkness! More power to'em!

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Good pictures:LOL [Re: 450_366]
      #171960 - 24/11/10 03:57 AM

Andreas - the one I referred to had high standing cap=-lock hammers for the top barrels with nipples sticking up too high. Yes - it is a muzzleloading pistol, at least for the top barrels. Being a 4 barreled gun, perhaps the bottom barrels are supposed to be ctg. I cannot see it being a real gun. I've never heard of one like that, - guess it's certainly possible. The gun I mention is not the one pictured amongst the ctg. Howdahs, the 4 barrel Lancaster, for instance, but a different & much heavier, larger gun gun entirely.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Good pictures:LOL [Re: DarylS]
      #171987 - 24/11/10 12:09 PM

I don't think that percussion pistol is a swivel breech and I don't think it's a 4-barrel. I think it's a stack double.
One nipple fires the bottom barrel, one fires the top.
Stack guns of this configuration are/were not uncommon.
Beretta did the 12b O/U percussion 'repro' shotgun in this fashion for instance.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: Good pictures:LOL [Re: tinker]
      #172214 - 28/11/10 11:14 AM

Hi Guys

Just picked up this thread, (I have a Westley Richards Lee speed? I will post when I have time)

I have spent the last half hour watching my recording if the movie, using the "pause" button and 1/16 speed

Tinker is right, the gun is definitely a "stacked double" or o/u. When using the pause button the single barrel width is very clear

The bayonet/spring knife is secured to the lower barrel, therefore it is not a swivel, and

The two nipples with (aluminium? for the movie?) caps are level on each side of the top barrel

I take it the long (at least an inch) passage to the lower barrel is not a problem?

There is a ramrod in short tubes on the left side "between" the barrels, there is no securing swivel

All in all an interesting weapon, as are the other guns noted. Whoever the "firearms advisor" was on the movie they cetainly were well informed (maybe a cartridge Howdah would have been nice!)

TH44

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5597

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com