Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Nilgai Hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Nilgai Hunt
      #4558 - 25/10/03 01:59 AM

A member of the antelope family this animal resembles a cow,the word "gai"in Urdu means cow whereas the word "nil" means blue.The colour of the animal is greyish blue hence the name nilgai.The cow is a sacred animal in India,home of the nilgai,and as such is revered.Hunting it in India could lead to serious repercussions ,as a result their nos. have increased to quite an extent and it has become a problem for the local farmers.
In the border areas of India and Pakistan the animal strays or is pushed by the Indians into Pakistani terriotory.Ironically the Pakistan govt.has also banned hunting of this animal but special permission to hunt can be obtained from the Border Rangers. An influential friend of mine managed to get this permission and we took off for the border.After flying into the city of Lahore we travelled to the border,a distance of about 25 miles,crossed the Ravi river on small ferries capable of transporting one vehicle at a time.At the Rangers post we picked a local guide and started our search.It's a densely wooded area teeming with wildlife such as hog deer (bara singa)wild boars,rabbits and ofcourse the nilgai.Hardly 15 mins. into the search we spotted a trophy size hog deer and although did not have permission for deer decided to take it and hell with the consequences.My first shot with the 270 brought the animal down.It was a great trophy.
Another 20 mins. of roaming around and we spotted 3 nilgai one of which was truly big.The nilgai is a very tough thick skinned animal,perhaps the toughest of all antelopes,requires a heavy cal.to down it.Min.requirement,in my opinion,is a 7mm.mag.while the 300 WB mag.would be ideal.My friend using a 7mm.mag ,150 grs.bullets brought the animal down with a well placed shot.Now it was my turn and as i was carrying a 270 had to be very careful in shot placement.Having spotted another fine animal standing about 50 yds.away i took a daring decision to go for a neck shot.Luckily it paid off as the animal dropped in it's tracks.
The hunt was over in just about an hour and we then started on the wild boars for which we had permission to shoot as many as we liked.Having depleted our ammo. in the next couple of hours after downing about 25 boars we headed back.The deer which i had shot posed a few problems but we were let off after paying a nominal fine.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Nilgai Hunt [Re: iqbal]
      #4561 - 25/10/03 04:25 AM

Sounds like a great time! I hope we get some photos.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #4580 - 26/10/03 01:17 PM

A trophy hog deer, two good Nilgai and twenty-five boar.

Doesn't sound like a bad day!

I believe there was an attempt to re-name the nilgai in India to a different name - not blue-cow but blue-something else. In order to get more people to harvest some of the wild antelope, reduce their numbers and feed protein hungry people.

Yes looking forward to photos if you have some. (I will post them for you if needed)

PS How big was your hoggie?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Nilgai Hunt [Re: NitroX]
      #4585 - 26/10/03 08:27 PM

The nilgai was renamed "nilghora" which means blue horse.Apart from the reason mentioned by you the other was that due to the destruction to crops by this animal farmers wre permitted to kill them if necessary.This gave a free license to non-hindus i.e. moslems to hunt them and enjoy the meat.Not happy with the way things were going it was decided to rename the beast.
I did take some photos .i.e. my friend did ,and as soon i recieve them i will post them to you.

shooter
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/08
Loc: UK
      #166911 - 28/08/10 01:14 AM

Its the largest antelope in asia and most numerous in india. its name "gai" (cow) has protected its numbers. Hindoos dont eat it and in a lot of parts dont even shoot it despite govt giving permission (a great deal of red tape but thats another story). It may be seen in the countryside in the fields and growing to massive size.

--------------------
Born to hunt, forced to work

Lawman
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/07
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Nilgai Hunt [Re: shooter]
      #166952 - 29/08/10 12:20 AM

Years ago in the 20s I believe, Nilgai were imported by the King Ranch in South Texas. They have done very well and are now fairly commonplace in deep South Texas. The first one I shot with a 30-06 180 NP behind the shoulder, knocked him down kicking. He got up and ran off with a small herd of about 30 of his kin. I watched him for about 2 miles and he never was recovered. At that time in the early 80s, they had multiplied to the point that they were competing with the whitetail deer, and the ranch was considering a cull hunt to thin the herd.A very bad freeze in 1983 as I recall thinned the herd so the cull was avoided. I shot a second bull, neck shot this time, and he fell in his tracks. The meat is excellent and there is plenty of it. Mine weighed over 600 pounds on the hoof. The King Ranch offers hunts on a commercial basis. I don't know what the charge is but it is a fascinating place. I hunt there frequently for quail.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Nilgai Hunt [Re: Lawman]
      #166967 - 29/08/10 08:47 AM

I clearly remember Nick Harvey with a Nilgai he took in India ..way back it was of course,perhaps the `70`s or late 60`s and I`m sure that he took it with the little used 8 mm Rem Mag.I would probably still have the mag here in a box amongst the many.

navigrewal
.224 member

Reged: 10/02/06
Re: Nilgai Hunt [Re: gryphon]
      #167595 - 12/09/10 12:37 AM

Iqbal
I dont agree with 'Nil Ghai' being considered as sacred only folks I know who dont kill them are Bishnoi community in Rajasthan and Haryana. They generally dont kill any animals or cut down trees ( wish there were more of them honestly). My uncles have land in Sirsa/Hissar area and they used to in by gone days hunt Nil Ghais a lot - only bad thing was that hunters would mow down a herd and only pick young calves meat. Even in northern Haryana and Punjab area there are lot of Nil ghais but issue is average farmer doesnt have license for a gun and hunting is illegal. A member here owns a farm there and he can better shed more light but I have seen the damage first hand by these animals and wild boars. I also believe the numbers of animals sometimes are exaggerated by Forest department but rich and powerful still hunt some how.

Now in regards to Indo Pak border in Punjab and Jammu&Kasmir the wire fencing has created a barrier of sorts on Indian site and in some places they have mines laid down or wires are electrocuted, area is patrolled heavily. Even villagers have to take permission to go and plow their fields therefore this should have affected animal migration at the same time no mans land provides a sanctuary to the animals.
Not sure where you hunted my mothers family is from Narrowal and her village is actually further near Ravi river hopefully one of these days common sense prevails and folks could cross the border to shoot some guns in Pakistan ( Prohibited Bores PB) weapons and folks can come to India to enjoy some PB brew ( Prohibited Brew)LOL. Also I wonder if cross border firing due to some hunters on the other side and Border Security Force ( BSF) guys retaliating LOL.
On a positive note recently in Harike Pattan ( in Punjab India where rivers Beas and Sutlej converge) they sighted endangered fresh water dolphins .

Edited by navigrewal (12/09/10 12:41 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4289

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com