Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Greener GP action Strength

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Greener GP action Strength
      #167587 - 11/09/10 11:42 PM

Another action question which will hopefully recieve more responses .

I recently saw a post that stated that the GP action was quite strong. It actually inferred that it could handle pressures well above the '1 1/2oz, nitro proofed' stamped on the gun.

Somewhere else I remember seeing that they were limited due to the action design which is somewhat different from the standard martini. I believe that those commments were from G. Greener. Curious more than anything else. The gun has alot of recoil to begin with and I doubt that I would want to run anything through it beyond factory 1oz loads..

Cheers

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Greener GP action Strength [Re: Tom_H]
      #167588 - 11/09/10 11:52 PM

Greener says it is shotgun action and nothing but shot gun calibers should be shot on it. The solid action is of course stronger than the split action. The later models and especially the E-clip models are weaker.

I am aware of numerous Greener guns being rebarreled in rifle calibers and being reproofed as rifles in Europe, and that includes the split actions.

What pressures they can take who knows. They are strong.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: Greener GP action Strength [Re: DoubleD]
      #167602 - 12/09/10 01:00 AM

Thanks for the reply DD. The info on the reproofing is good to know.
I have two, one of which uses the standard barrel with the chamber lengthened to 2 3/4 12ga. The bore is marked 13 and it is very accurate, but as mentioned earlier the recoil is substantial to say the least.

I have another that I installed tubes in to make it a bit more flexible. Still a work in progress. I am guessing that with a stout load under a round ball it would be a powerhouse, although I would probably have to install a pad on that one.
Thanks

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

vol423
.224 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: TN
Re: Greener GP action Strength [Re: Tom_H]
      #167627 - 12/09/10 12:32 PM

I just had a former police shotgun rebarreled with a Shaw rifled barrel for slug shooting. It was proofed at 1050 bar I believe. No problems at all. It is pretty accurate in its temporary stock but at 5.5 pounds, way too light. New wood will bring it to about 8 pounds and lessen the pounding somewhat.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2009

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com