Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lions with AIDS?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Ingwe
.275 member

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: Texas
Lions with AIDS?
      #16714 - 14/07/04 05:32 PM

I read something the other day about a bunch of lions in Botswana all emaciated looking and dying of AIDS. The called it FIV, the feline version of HIV. Has anyone else heard of this? Is this a joke or is this true? If it is true, then the only way I can think of for that to spread into the lion population would by for the lions to be eating infected people. Hmmm...

--------------------

Learn from other people's mistakes - you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Re: Lions with AIDS? [Re: Ingwe]
      #16717 - 14/07/04 08:28 PM

I heard the same thing on Discovery channel. It is a different strain I think they said. Dont know if they can get it from eating infected people.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Lions with AIDS? [Re: cr500]
      #16732 - 15/07/04 02:49 AM

Don't have unprotected sex with the lions either .

jhrod
.224 member

Reged: 26/06/04
      #16734 - 15/07/04 03:02 AM

FIV is real. I am a research biologist at a veterinary vaccine company, and my colleagues in the feline virology department recently got a USDA license for an FIV vaccine for house/pet cats here in the U.S.

When I first saw news about FIV in African lions some months ago, I had a chat with the project leader about whether or not he thought it could be used in lions (our company has donated veterinary vaccines to such causes in the past). His answer was no, for a variety of reasons that I can't remember specifically but made good sense at the time.

Ingwe
.275 member

Re: Lions with AIDS? [Re: jhrod]
      #16741 - 15/07/04 05:12 AM

Well then, I am wondering, if medical science could come up with a vaccine so quickly for FIV, then why are they having so much difficulty coming up with an HIV vaccine? Also, could this potentially extirpate the lion in Africa?

--------------------

Learn from other people's mistakes - you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Ingwe
.275 member

#16744 - 15/07/04 05:53 AM

Here is a quote I just saw in the news. It describes how lions give it to each other, which was kind of a no brainer, but it does not address how it spead into feline populations in the first place. Even though it says that leopards and cheetahs are less susceptible to it, I do not think that this is looking too good for them, either.

"Virus Infects Lions

The Herald (Harare)

July 14, 2004
Posted to the web July 14, 2004

Isdore Guvamombe
Harare

FELINE Immunedeficiency Virus, the equivalent of the HIV in human beings, has infected lions in Kruger National Park in South Africa, threatening the viability of the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park.

The megapark, joining Gonarezhou in Zimbabwe, Kruger in South Africa and Gaza in Mozambique, is the world's biggest wildlife sanctuary, but veterinary workers in Kruger say between 60 and 80 percent of the lions in South Africa are now under threat.

The Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority was aware of the disease on the other side of the Limpopo but said it was closely monitoring its development.

The authority's chief warden, Mr Lovemore Mungwashu, said the disease was still in the southernmost part of Kruger National Park and that Zimbabwe was still safe.

"Yes, the Aids-like disease has been discovered in South Africa and we are carefully watching it.

"Although Kruger is part of the transfrontier park, the disease is still confined to the southern- most part of the park and Zimbabwe is still safe," said Mr Mungwashu.

The primary mode of FIV transmission is sexual contact and bite wounds.

On rare occasions infection is transmitted from mother to cub, usually on passage through the birth canal or when newly-born cubs ingest contaminated milk.

Infected animals usually appear normal for a few years until infection eventually leads to the gradual collapse of the immune system, resulting in the animal failing to protect itself from infections.

Common among the symptoms are persistent fever and diarrhoea with a loss of appetite, poor coat condition, chronic or recurrent infection of the skin and urinary bladder, abortions and behaviour change, including seizures.

All this is followed by slow but progressive weight loss and neurological disorders.

Zimbabwe shares a long stretch of the border with South Africa's Kruger National Park in Gonarezhou National Park, the verdant wildlife sanctuary, where lions roam wild and free.

Given the long-range migratory habits of lions and the territorial dominance of huge males, there are fears that the disease will spread to Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

Other felines, the leopard and cheetah, also have FIV but are said to be less susceptible because they are more solitary.

Lion prides are more affected by the disease because they are highly sociable and are in constant physical contact with each other.

--------------------

jhrod
.224 member

Reged: 26/06/04
      #16749 - 15/07/04 08:53 AM

The discovery of an FIV vaccine was by no means quick. The virus itself was discovered/described about 15 years ago, not long after HIV. The recently licensed FIV vaccine is the result of at least 10 years of work.

In general, veterinary vaccines can be developed much quicker than human vaccines if for no other reason than veterinary vaccine candidates can, and often are, tested directly on the "patients". Vaccinate the cat, wait a few weeks for it to develop immunity if it is going to, and then administer virulent FIV to the cat and evaluate if it was protected from disease. We obviously can't and don't want to do the same type of direct testing in humans - i.e. vaccinate them with an experimental product and then intentionally give them HIV.

While HIV most assuredly did not come from FIV, and FIV most assuredly did not come from HIV, studies are in fact underway to evaluate whether a similar vaccine strategy can be used to develop a vaccine for HIV.

Who knows whether this could extirpate lions - I suspect not as there are many domestic cats that live for a long time with FIV. I think human population growth and habitat destruction is a far greater threat to lions.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #16954 - 21/07/04 12:24 AM

In reply to:

Lion prides are more affected by the disease because they are highly sociable and are in constant physical contact with each other.

I don't believe this is true.

Lion prides are very social internally but not between prides.

New males are outside influences and if they eject the old breeding male(s) they become one with the pride at least to my understanding. The vanquished lions do not live long lives after loosing their pride.

One aspect have always considered a justification that taking these animals does not hurt the overall lion population.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2103

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com