Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifle for NA game?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
TerryR
.224 member

Reged: 13/07/04
Loc: Greensburg, Pa.
Double rifle for NA game?
      #16690 - 14/07/04 05:08 AM

Does anyone out there use your double for North American game. I'm scheduled for a whitetail hunt in SC this fall and I'm considering taking my Kriehof 375 in addition to my 7X57 dakota.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JudgeG
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Loc: Georgia Coast
Re: Double rifle for NA game? [Re: TerryR]
      #16707 - 14/07/04 02:19 PM

I often hunt N.A. game (most often whitetails and hogs) with my .375 Nitro... not the flanged magnum or the regular H&H, but the 2.5" version." (A 270 grain bullet at 1950 f.p.s. or so). Out to the limits of the open sights, I find my "game getting" is about the same as with a scoped rifle, and much more effective than with a bow.

I took the rifle to Africa this summer and wore out a few animals with it, as it was well designed to do.

My advice: Take your double and have at it. It makes you feel like you earned your trophy, 'cause you've self-imposed limits.

BTW, in what part of S.C. will you be hunting?

--------------------
JudgeG
Old and getting older, I hope. But once I was young.

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #16716 - 14/07/04 07:16 PM

Terry,
I hunt deer and hogs with my 450/400 3 inch.

450No2 hunts NA game exclusively with his doubles.

400 Nitro Express has bagged a nice whitetailed Texas hill country deer with his 400/360.

I guess what I like about hunting with my double is stalking game again. I'd forgotten how much fun it was.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #16740 - 15/07/04 05:10 AM

I have a circle of friends, RUSTY being one of them, who use little else for hunting in the USA other than double rifles! I rarely use anything other than a double rifle, or single shot for hunting anyplace in the world! We of the "Accurate Reloading's Double Rifle Shooter's Society " have a double rifle pig hunt a couple times a year, at Camp Cooley Ranch, near Ridge, Texas!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

mstarling
.224 member

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: West Virginia, USA
Re: Double rifle for NA game? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #16754 - 15/07/04 11:08 AM

I shot whitetails last year with a 9/3x74R Chapuis and with a .470 Ne Searcy. Was using cast bullets in the Searcy. Both worked fine, with less meat damage than a 150 gr bullet propelled by a .308 Win.

Also shot a pig in Texas with the Chapuis.

Would suggest a better bullet that the 270 gr Speer is in order, as they seem to come apart too easily. Going with Noslers and Woodleighs this year.

Doubles work great. As long as your willing to carry it and understand your capabilities versus range I recommend the experience.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #16774 - 16/07/04 04:21 AM

I have two rifles: 7mm Mag bolt and 375H&H double. I plan on using my double for everything larger than a cyote. I will use the 7mm Mag if long range is needed. Where in SC are you going to hunt?

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Double rifle for NA game? [Re: bonanza]
      #16811 - 17/07/04 01:33 AM

TerryR
As my friend Rusty has stated I have used my doubles for quite a bit of NA hunting.
With my 9,3x74R Chapuis [with iron sights and with a scope] I have taken small game, bobcat,coyote,turkeys,deer, wild pigs, and black bear. I have hunted with it in Texas, Montana, Idaho, and Zimbabwe. I will be taking it to Canada in August for black bear.
With my 450/400 3 1/4" I have taken deer,wild pigs, black bear and caribou. I have hunted with it in Texas, Montana, and Alaska. I hunted with it in Alaska for brown bear also but did not see a "shooter"
With my 450 No2 I have taken deer,and wild pigs in Texas and 2 buff and 3 elephant in Zimbabwe.

I have found the double rifle to be the best "hunting" rifle there is. With the 9,3 [scoped] I have made a 271 yard shot on a coyote and killed a kudu at slightly over 300 yards.
The more you use your double the more you will like it.
I do not know if your 375 is scoped, if not I HIGHLY recommend you get a good scope fitted. A scope on a 375 double would be just about the best all round hunting rifle a fella could have.
What loads do you shoot in your double. I have had excellent results shooting several different bullets in my doubles, most of the time not even having to change the zero of the rifle.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Double rifle for NA game? [Re: NE450No2]
      #17195 - 26/07/04 06:59 AM

I have shot deer, hogs, javalina, Bison with a doublel in the states..Normally I don't hunt this side of the pond with a double, prefering to use my Lever actions in 30-30 and 25-35 for such deeds, guess it takes me back to my cowboy misspent youth..It just feels good to shoot a buck for a clean kill with the little 25-35, with which I killed my first some odd number of deer and my first three elk with, and cleanly I might add.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2629

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com