Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: NZ south island

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Dono
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/09
Loc: Tas Australia
NZ south island
      #166798 - 25/08/10 03:56 PM

Hi all I have some photos of my NZ trip in 2007. My mate Adrian and I had done this trip on a budget we fist got to the West coast of NZ. We made our way down to James Scotts place a little south of Fox.James flew us into the head of a great valley wich I shall keep to my self.We had set our selves 3 week to hike and hunt out. We had two good DOC huts in this valley, I know there are now three.We used the one at the head of the valley as a base for the fist four days.Adrian took a red hind the fist day so we had meat I took a 8 1/2 inch Chamois.We then split up for three days I hunted a side valley looking for Tahr I missed a Chamois in the rain,When we met up we had both done no good.So it was off down the main valley we had all but given up on Tahr as we got down the valley two far.We made camp at a small clearing with a fallen down hut the site of the new hut.I thought I would get some more back steaks as there were deer marks every where.I crossed the river and started to clime when I put up a bull Tahr,I took him and got a shock as he had 14 1/4 inch horns.Adrian met up with me and we caped him out for a full body mount,As Adrian is also my taxidermist he took some mesreuments for later.Now the fun started we had left our camp and hunting our way down the valley the going had been good so far.We had crossed some side creeks that made us think we made a wrong choice walking out,But we got to one that made sit down for some time.It was ledge that had a big rock over hang with water driping onto our ledge,This made the ledge slipery and below the ledge was a 100f+ shere drop.Not my best idea to walk out but with some rope we got across and as we did Adrian took two Tahr.We had a battle to follow the old track and as it got dark we made a quick camp on a ledge. The next morning we had lost the old track and had followed a deer trail some 200m we both droped our packs and where looking for the track when I put up a BIG bull Tahr he ran stait to Adrian,Guess what Adrians rifle was with his pack BUGGER!Well we found the track and it was hard going down hill.We got down to large flat and set up camp,Adrian had shot at Chamois at 500m.The next morning we got to the bottom hut Red Deer spot we split up and both found stags that night the stags where vocal and we both found stags the next morning I took an 8 pointer but Adrian did not take one he found two Chamois took them both.

--------------------
I love the smell of burnt powder in the morning

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: NZ south island [Re: Dono]
      #166799 - 25/08/10 04:06 PM

Well done Dono!

I've hunted the south island as well. Funny, everywhere I've been on the SI looked exactly like your pictures!

Looks like you had a great time.

Thanks for sharing,

Armbar.

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: NZ south island [Re: armbar]
      #166817 - 25/08/10 10:29 PM

Nice work mate,

more photos please, there are a couple of us here who are saving to go back to NZ and westland in particular it is the best land! I want a chamoose and another Tahr out of some of those high basins. I love how stained those antlers are on that red!

Regards,

MOG

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2437

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com