Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand
      #165639 - 03/08/10 04:22 PM

My hunt took place in Westland, in glorious weather in late May & Early June. The weather flying in was pretty poor with a very bad easterly blowing the little 500 around quiet severely. I can honestly say it was the second worst helicopter flight of my life. The pilot, James Scott, was brilliant and a real pleasure to fly with but the conditions made life VERY difficult. Consequently we flew into the Chamois area first as we could physically not get to the Tahr block.
We spent a day hunting Chamois, during the time I missed a very easy shot at a 9”plus Chamois. I subsequently brought the rifle down 3 clicks and everything became a lot better. The scenery in the Chamois block was amazing, being able to look up some of the big rivers of Westland from the glorious tops was a fantastic experience. Looking west I could see the Tasman Sea. I had to really pinch myself to believe I was here and everything was so good. Last time I was in Westland it hammered down so much that we were stranded in Fox Glacier overnight on my honeymoon and that was December!

We subsequently moved to the Tahr block a short flight with James into a fantastic valley system that felt like being in the Colosseum, sheer sides almost all around it was just magnificent, then I realised I had to clime some of the walls to hunt Tahr....
We set camp and had a great feed and began glassing the tops for Tahr. On the way in we had seen some magnificent bulls that ran from the chopper (no prizes for guessing why) and we hoped to see a few more that afternoon to prepare for a stalk the next day.
Well, we found a fantastic Tahr just after lunch high in the head of the valley. Peter said “Come on lets have a look, he looks to be pretty good.” So we were off, up the boulder stream to cover our movement. Twice we surprised Tahr in the valley itself. One young bull went down toward the water and the other tried to figure us out from only 40m away! He continued to shadow us whistling all the way. About half way up Peter assessed and calmly said “he’s pretty good, we’ll get this one.” My head suddenly went into overdrive. We were stalking the animal I had wanted since being a sweaty teenager. We spent the next three hours carefully moving steadily uphill glassing as we went. The rocks in the stream were icy and the golden tussocks steep but I was bloody determined to at least get this Tahr into range.
Peter said we will get within range, maybe 300m I was happy with that we continued to stalk as the sea mist started to roll over the western peaks and fall quietly into the valley. I was worried he would be swallowed by the grey mist before I got my chance. We pushed ever onwards each metre becoming more and more icy and snow becoming more common amongst the tussock heads.
It was nearly dark and we were in position, with Peter’s brilliant knowledge and understanding of Tahr he had got me to 210m. “Wait for him, the one you can see is the young Bull the big one is to the left” Peter whispered at me in a low voice. I had an excellent rest and waited. I looked down the valley and could not believe it had come to this. I breathed so carefully to the side of the rifle, careful not to fog my lens. Wait for him Mog he will move into view. In one majestic move he appeared, his huge blonde mane glistening in the last rays of light, gently blowing in the westerly breeze. His body was huge he dwarfed the smaller bull and had fantastic mass to his horns. I had watched him for three hours tending to his harem of nannies. Seeing off the smaller bull and surveying his surroundings for would be challengers. This old bull was surely the Alpha male of this small watershed.
I breathed once more and felt the trigger, it broke crisply and the shot felt really good. The bull bolted down hill foaming blood at the mouth. I cycled the bolt quickly with Peter spurning me on. I took a second shot which again hit the bull as he was in full stride moving at blurring speed down the sheer icy faces. With a crash of hooves and horns he collapsed, and began sliding down the steep valley walls. He came to an icy rest not 100m above us. Peter slapped me on the back and had a massively wide grin on his face and sparkle in his eye. “That’s better shooting there boy!” Peter beamed. Another big bull appeared high above us at about 430m, I had a crack at him but was shaking so much that I should not have even taken the shot. I was ecstatic and moved to the bull as best I could, he was balanced on a rock shelf in his valley. A part of me felt forlorn having taken this animal from such an amazing place, this feeling was soon replaced with the satisfaction of knowing that a fine animal would not fall prey to a Heli-hunter and that I had achieved something I had long dreamed of. I carefully stepped through the semi frozen stream and leapt onto the rock ledge that my Tahr had landed on and caught my breath.

He was huge, truly a giant Tahr that had seen many long winters in Westland. His mane was magnificent, thick, blonde and majestically flowing past his front shoulders. I could not believe how big he was his body was hugely muscular and his size was above anything I had expected. I gazed upon his horns, hugely thick almost all the way to the top, he was broomed off at his points but I did not care. To me he was everything I had come for in one. I looked out over the small valley as the shadows filled the valley and the only sound was that of the Kea’s cawing far away to the south. “This is a bull any Kiwi hunter would be proud of! An old Westland bull. You should be very happy there boy.” Peter said, I was.

Three hours after I had shot the bull two weary hunters returned to their tent both ecstatic about the outcome of the day. I smelt like a bull Tahr and on the rock outside our tent was the headskin of my bull. I slept well that night knowing that everything I had saved and trained for was well worth it.
I hunted a further two days in that little valley securing a smaller cull bull for a full skin mount and skull and enjoying the greatest weather Westland had to offer.

On our final morning we sat in the sun on a tussock knoll reading stories of old about hunting and fishing in Westland and the rest of New Zealand. I felt at peace with the world and inside I was already yearning to return.

On the way out in the Hughes 500 I knew I would be back, there is a bloody Chamois up there somewhere with my name on it...

I hunted free range Bull Tahr with Peter Chamberlain of NZ Wild Hunts. Peter has been hunting the South Island since the mid 1960’s he is a true gentleman who has a breadth of knowledge of the Alpine game he hunts that is probably second to none in guide industry at the moment. I would highly recommend him for your New Zealand adventure, he is honest and upfront about everything and he has no agenda he must satisfy.
Peter can be contacted at www.nzwildhunts.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand [Re: Cinghiale]
      #165641 - 03/08/10 04:43 PM

Congratulations on a fine hunt and trophy. It sure is one of the greatest places on earth. But I would say that wouldn't I, having spent all my childhood and early to mid adult life there hunting and fishing.

Flew many a time with James Scott, he's one of the best. Hope you return one day to bag that chamois.

Cinghiale
.333 member

Re: Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand [Re: eagle27]
      #165646 - 03/08/10 05:46 PM

I will return soon! I love NZ it has truly got its hooks into me, South Island that is not so sure about the NI yet! auckland was decidedly drab and the people were not that friendly either!

Here are some more photos:

Godley Valley East Coast

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #165648 - 03/08/10 06:45 PM

And you are a cak hander too haha

Lovely story of your hunt cobber.

Cinghiale
.333 member

Re: Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand [Re: gryphon]
      #165649 - 03/08/10 06:57 PM

Cheers mate,

yeak definately a 100% mollydooker mate!

makes getting nice guns a little difficult.

I think we must've been there at about the same time gryph.

Regards,

MOG

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #165657 - 03/08/10 09:55 PM

Looks like you had a great time. Great write up and pic's.That Tahr looks like an old bloke with a few fights under his belt, well done.

Yes the South Island and Tahr do get you hooked and I do not do heights all that well.

lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
      #165659 - 03/08/10 10:36 PM

Well done Tim , great country to hunt in and a treat from the sky riding in the kero bird, amazing pic's too ..

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand [Re: lapua]
      #165664 - 03/08/10 11:39 PM

Great story and pics, Tim.

Glad to hear the weather was so good and the trip went without some of the grief Gryphon had. I'd like to hear more details of kit, chopper costs etc, if you can be bothered.

- Paul

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand [Re: Paul]
      #165672 - 04/08/10 05:36 AM

Those toenails I think i mentioned that I was to lose? Just two days ago I lost the third one,big toe left foot. It has taken a while too for this.
At my age the chopper option is on the list too.

Cinghiale there have actually been a couple of lefties on UG`s recently,cant remember what they were,well I think one was a 375 H+H perfect for your home state!

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #165702 - 04/08/10 06:52 PM

G'Day Fella's,

MOG, the story and pictures look even better, second time around!
Again, Congratulations and Best Wishes to you!
You have now achieved something that few hunters are willing to or capable of pushing themselves to accomplish!!!

Now just keep headin back to NZ, until you get it out of your system!
Not likely to happen in a hurry!!!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Cinghiale
.333 member

Re: Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand [Re: Homer]
      #165709 - 04/08/10 09:09 PM

Cheers for all the kind words blokes. Gryph I reckon its worth using the chopper to get into areas. Maybe next time get one in and walk out? I'd highly recommend James Scott as a pilot if you need someone.

I am awaiting a 375 atm! waiting waiting waiting!!!!

Hommer I will be back every year IF funds allow and I don't die falling of one of those bloody mountains!

Regards,

MOG

Homer
.416 member

Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #165714 - 04/08/10 09:36 PM

G'Day Cinghiale,

You will never regret it, even if you come a gutser!

MOG, you in town This Weekend and Free?
I may be going up to Toofa's shack Friday night and back Saturday arvo.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand [Re: Homer]
      #165725 - 05/08/10 05:30 AM

I saw James Scotts place with all the hunters vehicles parked outside while they were up in the hills,he has nine choppers they tell me! My Kiwi cobbers use his services also.

His place is not long before Fox Glacier where we fed and fueled etc and his own home if a flash one too.
A sickening experience related to me that was suffered by him when he was apparently flying one time and his nephew (?) just disappeared out of the back of a plane I believe never to be found again.

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
      #165749 - 05/08/10 01:17 PM

Nice 500 that.

Is there an ideal time of year?

eagle27
.400 member

#165765 - 05/08/10 04:26 PM

Quote:

A sickening experience related to me that was suffered by him when he was apparently flying one time and his nephew (?) just disappeared out of the back of a plane I believe never to be found again.

Yes this sad incident did occur some years ago while James and his shooter were out in the chopper for their evening shoot with James nephew in the back of the Hughes 500. On returning to base after dark they discovered the nephew was not in the back of the chopper. A search and rescue operation was initiated with James flying parties in over the route they had taken. This all took place through out the pitch black night and at around 1am in the morning of the next day they located his deceased nephew in the bush where he had fallen from the chopper.

While an extremely sad occasion it did highlight James' dedication to finding his nephew and his incredible skills in flying in the terrain shown in some of the photos on this post during the hours of darkness and in a chopper set up with the bare essentials for hunting, no navigational aids etc.
I have always felt perfectly safe with James and always enjoyed the flights with him. He has a vast knowledge of the hunting areas in the Southern Alps and goes out of his way to drop hunters into good areas to ensure success for them.

Cinghiale
.333 member

#165792 - 05/08/10 09:54 PM

Hommer I'm in!

ExcessExpress I would say May is gold for Tahr and Chamois as its during the rut. Late May the manes are great on the tahr and the Chamois are dark too.

Sorry to hear about James' loss

Regards,

MOG

Paul
.400 member

#165807 - 06/08/10 12:49 AM

I've made one inquiry so far but can anyone tell me what the going rate for choppers to take you and bring you out is - per person or as a whole? Also, how much stuff do they let you take?

- Paul

Cinghiale
.333 member

#165817 - 06/08/10 09:22 AM

G'day Paul,

how much gear I can answer how much is totally dependent on where you wnat to go! Front faces of westland for Chamois are heaps cheaper than say Zora block in the Landsborough due to time of flight. If you know where you want to go then you can start getting competitive quotes.

Gear wise we had quiet a lot we ate fresh foor all the time and took two tents, two rifles, gas two burner stove, 2 stretchers 4 crates of food and two gas bottles plus all our hunting gear. With a tahr cape and a full skin and a second head it was a little cramped in the back on the way back to James' hanger!

The trick would be to know how you want to hunt; backpack like Gryph did from or to a pickup point or bse camp in like I did.

I hope this helps.

MOG

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #165827 - 06/08/10 04:03 PM

Well-done on a marvellous adventure!

eagle27
.400 member

#165834 - 06/08/10 08:33 PM

Quote:

I've made one inquiry so far but can anyone tell me what the going rate for choppers to take you and bring you out is - per person or as a whole? Also, how much stuff do they let you take?

- Paul

Paul, I've out of touch with costs for a chopper but it is usually based on a per hour charge all up. From where James's chopper base is, if that is where you start from, then it is only 15 odd minutes flying time to get into the chammy and tahr areas on the Westland side of the Alps. It will take you a good days tramp to get into these same areas so by using a chopper you will have almost a couple of extra days hunting and also not wear yourself out getting in to the hunting area. Divide the cost of the chopper up amongst two or three shooters and it works out pretty reasonable, plus you can take in a few luxuries that you otherwise wouldn't carry in.

Once flown in you set up camp and then set off hunting at your own pace without that gut buster to get in and out before you even start hunting. As I say, I'm not sure on cost, but for the 500D would be up round $1000 an hour now. Can easily take take three or four passengers and gear.

GroovyMike
.300 member

Loc: NY
      #165839 - 06/08/10 11:11 PM

Just gorgeous. Thanks for the photos.

--------------------
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Paul
.400 member

Re: Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand [Re: GroovyMike]
      #165840 - 06/08/10 11:40 PM

Thanks guys,
Yes, I'm starting to home in on where it's at. Suppose I should buy a book on tahr hunting to discover how to pick a good one at a distance, minimal optics advisable etc.

Cheers
- Paul

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6390

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com