Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser Model B or Model L?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Kebco
.300 member

Reged: 22/05/06
Loc: PA, USA
Mauser Model B or Model L?
      #165558 - 03/08/10 12:11 AM

Just picked up early Mauser sporter, thought I was getting a model B but now that it is home I have had more time to look and although I have seen any number of Mauser sporters this one is just a little different.
First the barrel is 28" long but unlike all model L's that I have seen the forearm although longer it is not 3/4 length, it is 2 1/2 inches longer than a std model B and the barrel band sling swivel is approx 1" further down the barrel than a std Model B. The sling swivel is of the type that was always on the barrel and not the type that went through the wood on a model L
Two, the stock has the early semi round knob pistol grip with cheekpiece and only checkered at the pistol grip, it does not have any checkering on the forearm (like you would expect to see on a std model B) but does have a horn schnabel cap (appears org)
Three, the round barrel has a straight shank at the receiver end that runs almost 4" then has a sharp step and goes almost without tapper to the muzzle.
Four, the floorplate is the military type that requires you to push in the release. The floorplate itself is much thicker (2 to 3X as thick as you would normally see) and has a dropped box or extended box look to it..
The cal is 10.75x68, has double set triggers, and a fixed rear sight with two leafs attached to the straight barrel shank 2" in front of the action ring, serial in the 25K range. All numbers match.
Has anyone seen anything similar? One of the things I like about Mausers was that almost no two are identical but this one seems to have a mix of features I have never seen before.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: Mauser Model B or Model L? [Re: Kebco]
      #165565 - 03/08/10 12:55 AM

From your description and the fact that the numbers match, it sounds like a long barrel TYPE B built in 1908. Some photos please.

Edited by Dons (03/08/10 12:57 AM)

Kebco
.300 member

Re: Mauser Model B or Model L? [Re: dons]
      #165575 - 03/08/10 01:17 AM

Have you ever seen or heard of a longer (or shorter) barrel on a Model B?
I'll try latter to take some pics and I'll email them to you

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #165595 - 03/08/10 03:15 AM

24" barrels were standard but 28" were available and shown in Speed's book. All the other features you describe are also found on early Type B's. I highly recommend that you pick up a copy of his book.

Kebco
.300 member

Re: Mauser Model B or Model L? [Re: dons]
      #165597 - 03/08/10 03:38 AM

OK, looked through Speeds book but saw no reference to longer barrels being available for the B model. My gun looks very similar to the one pictured on the bottom of page 407 in the book.
Thanks for the help.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #165604 - 03/08/10 06:00 AM

Kebco,

Do post pictures here and show her off!

There's many of us who would love to see pictures of your treasure here.

Congratulations on a rare find and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #165606 - 03/08/10 06:20 AM

There are 3 books by Jon Speed. If you care to have a look into his "Mauser Archive", you will note that the "Six basic models" A,B,C,S,M,L and their designations were only standardized from 1922 on. As your rifle is apparently pre-WW1, you cannot assign one of the later model designations or descriptions! In the pre-WW1 era, Mauser made a lot of varieties, often to customer specifications, so long barrels were available on special order. On page 515 of the "Mauser archive" an early 10.75x68 rifle is shown, and on page 516 a long-barreled fullstock one.
BTW, standard B-Type foreends were uncheckered until the late 1930s!
You are right: Magazine assemblies of original commercial Mausers in both 9.3x62 and 10.75x68 are not only wider, but deeper too than those of the military 98s and their copies by FN and others. These larger mag assemlies, though combined with a standard-length action, require a deeper stock and a longer trigger, both same size as the Magnum action parts. To this deeper mag box a deep floorplate was added on 10.75s.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

Kebco
.300 member

Re: Mauser Model B or Model L? [Re: kuduae]
      #165612 - 03/08/10 06:57 AM

I just glanced at the Sporting Rifle book and forgot to check the Mauser Archive book. Old age kicking in.
I am terribly unorganized right now after a move and its hard to find all my Mausers but it seems this one has a different floorplate than I remember on any of the other 10.75's or 9.3's that I own. All I have at hand to compare with are some smaller caliber guns and my memory is far from perfect so it very well may turn out the floorplate on this 10.75 is the same as my other 10.75 guns.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4365

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com