Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern
      #164769 - 23/07/10 04:07 AM

Ignoring price for a moment, choose between the modern, all-weather version of the classic controlled-round-feed Mauser 98 (an Empire Rifles Field Grade with Kevlar stock) and the classic looking, wood-stocked version of Mauser's 21st century hunting rifle (the M03 Basic).

Both rifles would be chambered in .30-'06 with the intent of being someone's only rifle for North America. In my silly little game there are no other rifles available, so which of these two would you pick, and why?
Contemporary Classic, or Classically-Styled Contemporary?
You may choose only one
Empire Rifles Field Grade 98
Mauser M03 Basic

Votes accepted from (23/07/10 03:59 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern [Re: taw1126]
      #164770 - 23/07/10 04:46 AM

I'll take the 03

From there I can bend the rules with a multi-barrel cased set complete with bolt heads and barrels, QD scopes etc and run with what I have there.

The scenario of 'only one rifle' is a bit contrived, and if it came to that I'd want to get the most out of the 'gun control' imposed by the single-rifle standard.

Years down the road my kids would have something of greater value as well, a cased multi-barrel switch-caliber real-for-real Mauser Sporting Rifle!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

taw1126
.333 member

Re: PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern [Re: tinker]
      #164773 - 23/07/10 07:10 AM

Quote:

The scenario of 'only one rifle' is a bit contrived, and if it came to that I'd want to get the most out of the 'gun control' imposed by the single-rifle standard.

Interestingly, Mauser applies unique serial numbers to the M03 barrel and receiver assemblies, and the warranty paperwork is tied to the barrel's SN. Makes me think that they're already looking down the road to a day when some governments may want to regulate the number of barrels you can own too.

For the situation I have in mind I'm leaning towards the M03 also, and my suspiscion is that most others who participate in the poll will go that way too. But I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts...

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #164780 - 23/07/10 11:32 AM

Without hesitation, I would choose the mauser which, in this case, isn't the Mauser.

--------------------
~

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
Re: PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern [Re: Grenadier]
      #164787 - 23/07/10 01:04 PM

Potential regulations and serial numbers aside, the other is...well............PLASTIC.

No offence to others who use a synthetic stocked rifle. But for me, it has to be wood.

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

Mcleish
.275 member

Reged: 30/06/10
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW
Re: PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #164788 - 23/07/10 01:13 PM

I would prefer a classic styled rifle, however it will depend what it is to be used for. I have a kevlar stocked, stainless heavy barrelled marlin 17HMR. This firearm gets chucked in the ute (not roughly of course) for around the farm, my deer rifles however that are well looked after are "classic" in stlye and scoped with the best that I can afford. The rifle you choose often has a geat deal to say about how youn hunt, and your general outlook, as one might think of a pair of shoes.

Cheers

Mcleish

--------------------
Fallow might be small, but they're tasty

taw1126
.333 member

Re: PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern [Re: Grenadier]
      #164791 - 23/07/10 02:22 PM

Quote:

Without hesitation, I would choose the mauser which, in this case, isn't the Mauser.

Hmmm...I'm at least a little surprised that to this point you're in the majority. I would have figured the flexibility of the M03 system coupled with the North American limitation would have put it in the lead.

I'm in the middle of a significant simplification of my rifles. After buying an Empire Rifles field grade takedown in .30-'06 last year, I commissioned them to make a 9.3x62 barrel assembly (should be done in the next month) and sold a .338 WM, .375 H&H, and a .416 RM I admittedly had no use for. There's another .30-'06 in the safe that will be departing soon, and I could probably get rid of my .358 WCF too but I won't because it's a great, single-minded pig gun. Long story short, my preference for my own rifles is the traditional Mauser 98 design and I love my Empire. Yes, I'd prefer one with a fine stick of English walnut and ebony appointments, but it's damned functional in forest green Kevlar.

I've got three boys at home. The two oldest ones hunt and burn through enough .22 LR, .22 WMR, and 7mm-08 ammunition that I buy it by the case (seriously...5,000-round lots of .22 LR, 500-round lots of .22 WMR, and 300 rounds of 7mm-08 last time I bought) and there's no reason for me to think the younger one is going to be any different.

Apparently I'm a sentimental bastard...I'd like to give them a head-start on fine rifles, and give them (and me) a chance to make some memories with those rifles while we're still hunting together. Right now I'm in the very fortunate position to take advantage of the incredibly good gun deals out there, and in the last 3 months I bought an NIB M03 Basic (in .30-'06 after some barrel trading) and NIB Empire field grade (in .280 Remington) for about 50% of what they should sell for new. I've managed to sneak both into the safe without the ankle-biters noticing.

I bought the Empire first, thinking I'd pick up two more in all-around calibers over the next few years. As I've already said, I'm a big fan of Empires. Then I found & bought the M03, and I'll have to admit I'm far more impressed with it than I thought I'd be. The fit & finish are great, tolerances are incredibly good, and the cocking lever "safety" isn't hard to use or to get used to. They're about $500 to $1,000 less expensive than Empires, they look good (to me, anyway) in the traditional Basic configuration, and the ability to swap barrels/calibers has some appeal. It's not controlled-round feed, but the biggest gripe I have is the 14.5" LOP apparently meant for folks with gorilla-length arms.

So...there's the full context of the question. My plan is to put away three same (or very similar) rifles for my little hunters over the next few years, without hanging on to anything extra. Does that long-winded explanation change anyone's opinion?

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #164795 - 23/07/10 04:58 PM

Sounds like you've talked yourself through the issue, taw1126, and will get the M03.

I love nice wood and good blueing, too, but it all depends on how and where a rifle will be used. Hoping to hunt for tahr and chamois in NZ next year, I'm definitely looking for something stainless/synthetic because of the conditions over there.

- Paul

GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
Re: PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern [Re: Paul]
      #164802 - 23/07/10 08:33 PM

I've always wanted a switch barrel and I have only recently started to really think about the M03. The more I read the more I think it sounds like a very good option. I really need to get more info on the cost in Aust. for all the extra bits and pieces and I also need to see one in the flesh as sometimes things just don't feel right.

From what I've read, they appear to be a little on heavy side.

If I do go for it, I'm thinking about the Extreme or the Basic in 9.3x62mm. Can someone tell me if the fluted barrels fit the standard Extreme/Basic stock (ie if I get the 9.3 as a fluted can I then get say a 7x64 non fluted into the same stock)? Also whats the deal with the alloy reciever? Is this an option and the standard is steel or vice versa?

Anyway I'll plenty of time to think about all the options while I save up for it.

George

taw1126
.333 member

Re: PICK: Mod Version of a Classic, or Classically Styled Modern [Re: GK]
      #164813 - 23/07/10 11:25 PM

Quote:

I have only recently started to really think about the M03. The more I read the more I think it sounds like a very good option.

From what I've read, they appear to be a little on heavy side.

Like I said- my preferences lie with the traditional 98 action, and the M03 is the only push-feed in the house. I've never been one to go for the most modern, technologically advanced rifles (e.g., Blaser, Sauer, etc.) and fully plan to keep using an Empire myself, but I think Mauser has a winner with the M03. As far as weight, the M03 has a solid feel but I don't find it to be at all heavy.

Quote:

Can someone tell me if the fluted barrels fit the standard Extreme/Basic stock (ie if I get the 9.3 as a fluted can I then get say a 7x64 non fluted into the same stock)? Also whats the deal with the alloy reciever? Is this an option and the standard is steel or vice versa?

You'd need to open the barrel channel up only if you're fitting an African, Match, or Solid barrel to the rifle (I've been told that the corresponding gap when a standard-weight barrel is installed isn't bad, but I haven't seen this in person). So a standard weight fluted barrel would directly swap with a standard weight barrel. Fluting is a pretty high-cost option in the U.S. so I didn't even consider it.

The alloy receiver is optional, and it uses a different scope mounting system. I really like the standard steel DSM mount- exceptionally solid and great engineering- but they are also damned expensive should you want to buy another.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #164854 - 24/07/10 09:19 AM

Just voted for the Empire, but I am ancient in my tastes and choices. That said, the Mauser 98 will remain "modern" even in the future I think.

Whatever you buy out of your two choices will be excellent. Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #164873 - 24/07/10 01:03 PM

Quote:

Long story short, my preference for my own rifles is the traditional Mauser 98 design and I love my Empire. Yes, I'd prefer one with a fine stick of English walnut and ebony appointments, but it's damned functional in forest green Kevlar.

I'm a big fan of Empires. Then I found & bought the M03, and I'll have to admit I'm far more impressed with it than I thought I'd be.

So...there's the full context of the question. My plan is to put away three same (or very similar) rifles for my little hunters over the next few years, without hanging on to anything extra. Does that long-winded explanation change anyone's opinion?

You prefer fine wood with well executed fit and finish and you prefer the classic mauser 98 design. Your solution seems self evident. Three well made classic mauser rifles with fine wood would be beautiful, timeless, reliable, durable, and will hold their value.

The M03 is the fruit of the 2000 merging of Mauser, Sauer, Blaser and Swiss Arms into SIGARMS. The Blaser influence is especially recognizable in the M03. Will the M03 stand the test of time or will it fall by the wayside like the Modell 66, Modell 77, Modell 86, Modell 94, Modell 96, and Modell SR97 rifles appearing over the last thirty years?

Imagine you are one of your sons thirty years from now holding a 98 based rifle with classic lines in one hand and a Mauser 03 in the other. Which would you cherish more?

--------------------
~

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #165391 - 01/08/10 08:21 PM

Kevlar stock and stainless metal work gets my vote if I am going to cart it into the snow of the Rocky's and the wet dripping forests of the North West. The 98 appeals more than the M03.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4990

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com