Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blaser: Jagwaffen R93

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Hauptjäger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Hilo, Hawaii
Blaser: Jagwaffen R93
      #16410 - 04/07/04 08:52 AM

I was looking for a good place to pick us an action, when I came across the Rifle. I’m sure its out of my price range however I just wanted to hear from everyone what they thought of it. The Blaser Jagwaffen R93 is one of the only modern rifles I have found chambered in the 9.3x64 cartage. I noticed that it has a straight pull receiver and “quick” change barrels. How would this hold up in the field as a Dangerous game rifle? Hear is the link:
http://www.blaser.de/english/produkte/r93/index.html

Any comments

--------------------
To a point you can never have too much horsepower!

Hauptjager

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pwm
.300 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: Banana Republik of Germany
Re: Blaser: Jagwaffen R93 [Re: Hauptjäger]
      #16414 - 04/07/04 05:49 PM

I am very sorry to say this but the R93 is a symbol for the way german gunmaking craftsmanship is going down from the mauser M98.
there are allways stories about this gun its not safe and will not work, of course you have thousand of hunter being satisfy with the gun. but this never ending rumors and stories show you that the idea behind this construction isnt rigth. people feel more than they know it is the wrong way and a man with a mauser 98 will never go back from this classic gun.
the R 93 will show what democracy have making with my country. please go to Brennecke, they making new guns for the 9,3x64(ONE OF THE BEST CARTRIDGES EVER LOAD) with mauser actions. this is a honourable gun and will not cost more money than this blaser b.......

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
Re: Blaser: Jagwaffen R93 [Re: pwm]
      #16416 - 04/07/04 07:22 PM

Speaking from hands on experience and not from hearsay, I can tell that my 2 R93's bought in 1996, have been hunted hard and always functioned perfectly for the 2400 rounds fired between them. Together with the Sauer 202, they're the most accurate out of the box rifles I ever came across. I own Mauser 98, Rem 700, Win 70, Browning and Ruger hunting rifles too but when fieldtime comes, you'll see me carrying a Blaser most of the time...

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Hauptjäger
.275 member

Re: Blaser: Jagwaffen R93 [Re: André]
      #16424 - 05/07/04 02:21 PM

PWM – I too have heard stories about the straight pull action not this one per say, I just do not understand what keeps the action closed? Are they control round feed? And just how does this “quick” change barrel system work. I have been looking for some time at the 9.3x64, and I know of no other current manufactures you recommended Brennecke, however I could not find a webpage, any other ideas?

Andre—I was not trying to put down the R-93, I was truly intrigued. Maybe you would tell me how it works and what they cost?

--------------------

Hauptjager

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
      #16428 - 05/07/04 06:54 PM

The R 93 is PF and chambering is very smooth and in straight line from the magazine. The bolt locks up directly in the bbl. via a radial bolthead not unlike flower petals which open in a full circumference (the harder the backthrust, the tighter the grip). Bbl./ caliber swap takes 2' via 2 captive bolts in the forend (BTW, no need for rezeroing as the scope is mounted on the bbl.). The same rifle allows caliber change from .222 Rem to .416 Rem (another bolthead and magazine are required in some cases). Check out the Blaser site at : http://www.blaser.de/english/index.html
In this country, cost runs from 1600 € to heaven, according to grade in wood and engraving.

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

pwm
.300 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: Banana Republik of Germany
Re: Blaser: Jagwaffen R93 [Re: André]
      #16438 - 06/07/04 04:35 AM

visit www.brenneke.de and go with question to info@brenneke.de
they making mauser 98 rifles in different grade ask for a price, this is a classic gun and of course you can contact brenneke in english language.
the Blaser R 93 system seems to be sensitive in a special way for pieced primers. so gas can open the bolt when come back. in spring was an accident in germany when a hunter get the bolt in his head. you can imagine what for horror storys going around. Blaser had saing it was a overpowered handload but other one's say it was factory round.

Hauptjäger
.275 member

Re: Blaser: Jagwaffen R93 [Re: pwm]
      #16593 - 12/07/04 05:36 AM

PWM
I followed the links and e-mailed Sabine Kaprolat at
BRENNEKE GMBH Ilmenauweg 2. here is he reply
In reply to:

"We do not produce mauser 98 actions just slugs. As we know there is no
special action for cal. 9,3 x 64 available. Due to the length of the
BRENNEKE cartridge every normal mauser action can be used.

Also we do not plan to sell the ammo in the US by ourselves. Please, contact
the following company

Old Western Scrounger, Inc.
50 Industrial Parkway
Carson City, NV 89706
775-246-2091, Toll-Free Phone: 800-UPS-AMMO
Fax 775-246-2095
www.ows-ammunition.com"

Not much help as old Western Scrounger never seems to have any of the 9.3x64 ammo. Just thought I would let you know what the folks at Brenneke had to say. Ill keep looking.

Question: Is there any real point to build a 9.3x64, other than nostalgia? The .375 is almost as flat shooting, and is everywhere, and one could rechamber a .375 to .404 Jeff. For even more stopping power… Any thoughts?

--------------------

Hauptjager

500NE
.224 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Vienna, Austria
      #16778 - 16/07/04 07:02 AM

Hi Hauptjäger,

I own two R93's, both plastic stock, with currently 3 barrels in 30-06, 9,3x62 and 416RemMag.
I also used them in Africa 3x by now, once on buffalo.

Is the R93 my favourite choice for Dangerous Game?
No!

On the downside,
- it's (to) sensitive to dust/dirt (which I always fight w/ isolation tape and other tricks)
- it doesn't have a controlled round feed
- if the action is not all the way forward, it will not fire! (Normally only a problem if you're closing the action to slowly...)
- factory trigger pull is light for DG
- it's expensive

HOWEVER there are a couple of very positive things about this rifle:

- it's FAST: the next best thing to a semi-auto for follow-up shots
- Barrel exchange: works very well
- Accuracy: some of the best there is for factory rifles
- Manual Cocking System: my favorite
- Take-Down capability: a beauty for travelling!

So, as to DG capability, you certainly have to set priorities what is important to you in a rifle, but the Blaser is certainly not the worst choice...

Possible Other Alternative:
There is also a new Mauser model out now, that offers a conventional bolt action PLUS most of the advantages of the R93!
Check it out: Mauser M03
Actually not very suprising, once one realises that Mauser is owned by Blaser nowerdays...
Downside of the M03: No controlled feed, 9,3x64 not (yet?) available, but otherwise?

Conclusio:
I'm really fond of my R93's, but as real DGR's I now own a 500NE double rifle and a 416 Rigby rifle w/ Mauser 98 action.
(And very much looking fwd to putting both into action on something worthwhile as soon as possible !

Regards & WMH,
500NE

PS: I get the impression you also might be sitting in front of a german keyboard?

Edited by 500NE (16/07/04 07:04 AM)

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #16820 - 17/07/04 05:30 AM

Haupjaeger,

At the risk of sounding like those guys who bash Merkel... I've just heard too many horror stories about Blaser's 93 (a couple of them blowing up last year...). I will admit that these are only second hand stories, but they come from people I trust.

Also, this is just my rant, but I went to a Blazer booth at a show a few months back, and there is just something wrong with the way they decorate those rifles... I just I'm just a traditionalist when it comes to engraving, but those raised animal designs just don't do it for me.

Just my opinion don't mean to step on any toes...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7348

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com