Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger No.1 in .416 Rigby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
New416
.224 member

Reged: 29/06/04
Ruger No.1 in .416 Rigby
      #16329 - 29/06/04 03:40 PM

Hello to all. New here and looking for advice. I recently purchased a Ruger No.1 in 416 Rigby. I love the nastalgia of the rigby and the strength of the No.1. I want to put a scope on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking for tips/tricks to get the most accuracy out of the gun with out any loss to strength and reliability.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hauptjäger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Hilo, Hawaii
Re: Ruger No.1 in .416 Rigby [Re: New416]
      #17016 - 22/07/04 08:34 AM

New 416,
I would think that a low magnification variable 1.6-5 or 2-7 would be good. Maybe a fixed 6X. Certainly nothing high powered or heavy. I would think you would want the scope as low to barrel as possible for performance and looks. I have had good luck with Leupold and Nikon. Swarovski is very good but high $$$. Just MHO

Buy the way I am considering #1 in the 416 Rigby, how do you like yours? Performance, handling, and recoil? Have you found any shortcomings compared to a Bolt gun?

--------------------
To a point you can never have too much horsepower!

Hauptjager

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #17021 - 22/07/04 10:42 AM

A Leupold 1.5-5x or 1.75-6xE works very well with the Ruger mounting system on the rib. I don't think I would go with a larger scope than that on this rifle. Kahles has a very good 30mm tube scope in the 1-4x.

First thing to do with the No.1's is seal the wood where in contacts the action, seal the barrel channel also. Then shoot it. It may surprise you with it's accuracy. You may need a good trigger job on it. The new No.1 triggers aren't the greatest in the world right out of the box.

If you are going to be shooting this from a bench, make sure to pay attention to where you rest the forearm across the rifle rest. All of my No.1's have prefered to have the action on the rest, instead of the forearm. Forearm pressure can have a small effect on accuracy. You can actually "tune" the rifle a little by tightening/loosening the forearm screw to the rifle's prefered forearm pressure.

If your Rigby has one of Ruger's old red recoil pads on it, you will want to replace that thing. It's hard as a brick.

New416
.224 member

Re: Ruger No.1 in .416 Rigby [Re: DPhillips]
      #17096 - 23/07/04 02:38 PM

So far I really like the Ruger #1. This is my first big bore rifle, so, I don't really have anything to compare it to. It's at the gunsmith right now having the barrel floated and hangerarm glass bedded. The factory recoil pad is also being replaced with a "decelerator" pad. All my other rifles are semi-auto's or bolt guns. I like this single shot. I'm going to have safety switch inletted later. The extracted cases hit the safety as it is now. I'll pick the gun up on Saturday. I've made up some hand loads and want to get the scope on it to better check the accuracy. I'm leaning towards the Leupold 1.5-5. Possibly with the illuminated reticle. Any thoughts or experiences with the illuminated reticles?

Mark

DPhillips
.375 member

#17098 - 23/07/04 03:38 PM

You might have him work the trigger over while he has it. The new No.1 Ruger triggers are pretty rough and very inconsistent. Depending on how comfortable your 'smith is working triggers, he should be able to get it to a crisp and clean 3 lbs or so.

New416
.224 member

#17118 - 24/07/04 08:26 AM

I'm considering just replacing the trigger all together. Any suggestions?

DPhillips
.375 member

#17128 - 24/07/04 10:31 AM

The only trigger I've replaced in a No.1 is with a Kepplinger. They are very nice triggers, but at nearly $200, they ought to be nice.

I'm going to replace the No.1 RSI's trigger this winter and am really considering a Canjar for it.

I've heard some good and bad things about the Moyer triggers, but at less than 1/4 the price of the Kepplinger or Canjar, it might be worth a try. I think the Moyer runs about $45.

Other than these 3, I don't know anyone else that makes replacement triggers for the No.1.

New416
.224 member

#17130 - 24/07/04 11:09 AM

I've got 2 gunsmiths that I've been talking to. Naturally one recommends the Kepplinger and the other the Canjar trigger. What are the differences? I cant seem to find a web site for Canjar either.

DPhillips
.375 member

#17139 - 24/07/04 01:51 PM

I don't have a Canjar, but do understand them to be extraordinary. The Kepplinger is a single-set trigger and a very simple design. It can be adjusted unset to down to around 1.5 pounds, though I have mine set at about 2.5 pounds. The set can be adjusted down to 2 ounces. I really don't recommend that in a rifle like the 416. I've put my set at around 1 pound, though I don't use it except at the range.

The Kepplinger can be setup to break like a glass rod, with no perceptible creep or overtravel.

The one drawback (besides the price) is the that it is a single-set trigger. Bumping that thing forward and putting it into the set position can have drawbacks, as you can imagine. I haven't had that happen to me, yet, but it is something that I pay a lot of attention to.

If I'm not mistaken, the Canjar is a single-set trigger also.

DPhillips
.375 member

#17140 - 24/07/04 01:55 PM

Oh, by the way, if you get the 1.75-6x Leupold scope, make sure it's the E model. E is for Extended and just barely works with the No.1. The standard 1.75-6x or any of the compact models sit too forward for correct eye relief with the No.1's, and the tube is too short to allow you to move it back without ring extensions or offset bases. Since the 1.5-5x doesn't have an objective bell, it doesn't matter as long as you don't put the ring right on top of the lense.

New416
.224 member

#17141 - 24/07/04 04:22 PM

DPhillips....Thanks for the replies. I've narrowed my scope selection to 3. All are Leupolds, the VX-III 1.5-5, the VX-III 2.5-8 and the M8 6x42 fixed power. I've also considered the 1.5-5 with an illuminated reticle, but haven't found anyone who as actually used one. I'd like some input on the illuminated reticles.
As far as triggers go, I am undecided also. I'm thinking about having my gunsmith just do a trigger job on it for now. Last thing I want to worry about is bumping the trigger (like a keplinger) forward.
My goal is to make this rifle as accurate as possible and yet maintain the utmost reliability.
The rifle came with factory Ruger rings. However, they are "high" rings so I am going to have to replace them. I'm considering "Warne quick release rings". Has anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks for all the input and help.

Mark

DPhillips
.375 member

#17144 - 25/07/04 04:37 AM

I haven't used the illuminated reticles, so I can't comment about those.

I have used the Leupold Vari-X III's in 1.5-5x, 1.75-6x, and 2.5-8x's. On a rifle like the 416, I think I would prefer the 1.5-5x, though I really like the 1.75-6x also. My No.1 S wore a 2.5-8x for a long time and it's a great scope also. Probably more weight and magnification than is really needed for the 416.

The single-set Kepplinger can't be bumped forward until the safety is switched to the fire position, so the likelihood of it getting bumped forward is remote, but can happen. To me that pretty much means you would have to have your finger inside the triggerguard before you push the safety off, or before you are ready to fire, a very bad practice. If you handle the gun the way you are supposed to, it won't happen. Doesn't mean I don't check it from time to time.

I wouldn't think a 'smith working the trigger over would cost more than $50 at the most, and it can give you a pretty good trigger, on par with the Moyer from what I've heard.

John Barsness did an article a few months ago where they have subjected several scopes through a battery of torture tests. The lighter weight Leupolds came out on top with heavy recoiling rifles. The 1.5-5 and 1.75-6's lasted longer than all others. He even included some blurbs by Kenny Jarrett, D'Arcy Echols, Charlie Sisk, and other custom rifle makers. All seemed to agree that for heavy recoiling rifles the Leupold 1.5-5 and 1.75-6 were as good as you could hope for.

New416
.224 member

#17148 - 25/07/04 08:16 AM

I called the gunsmith today. I'm going to have him install a "Moyer" trigger. We'll see how it goes. If I don't like it I'll try the Canjar or Keplinger.
I think I'm going to try 1.5-5 with an illuminated reticle. Just to see. I like the higher magnification of the 2.5-8 for working up handloads, though. It's taking me too long to decide on which scope to go with. Sheesk, it didn't take me this long to pick out the gun and caliber.

New416
.224 member

#17487 - 31/07/04 04:15 PM

Well, I really appreciate everyones thoughts and suggestions. I've ordered a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 and a set of Warne QD rings to mount it in. Looking forward to there arrival.
Thanks again to all.

mark

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #19300 - 19/09/04 08:59 AM

Most scopes work well on a 416 Rigby or any 40 caliber...Scope problems arise with the 458 Lott and larger bores and most scopes last from 25 to 250 rounds then crash. Add a muzzle brake to the gun and cut that number in half or better, the brake in combo with a big bore is disaster......

The only scope I have found (in 50 years of using most of them) that won't give up the ghost with those big boomers is the Leupold 2.5x compact as its adjustments etc. are in the center of the tube as opposed to the ends...That scope simply works.

On the Ruger No.1 in 416 Rigby and my present No.1 in 416 Rem, I have used a 3x fixed, 1x4 and a 1.5 x 5 varible, all Leupolds and they work fine...

Canjar triggers are the very best of triggers...but a good trigger job is fine for a big bore rifle..

I think your choice of a 2.5x8 is fine but I cannot imagine the need for an 8x scope on a big bore rifle..I have never seen an instance wherein a 2.5x would not have worked on the dangerous game that I have shot with big bores, or for that matter anything else...Jack O'Connor once printed that he felt there was little need for any big game scope over 4x..I agree with him 100%...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5317

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com