Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: NZ Chamois & Tahr Hunt by Gryphon

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

NitroExpress.com eMagazine >> Articles & Online Books

Pages: 1
ForumsAdministrator
.224 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: NitroExpress.com
NZ Chamois & Tahr Hunt by Gryphon
      #163136 - 01/07/10 03:24 AM

Got into Victoria yesterday and just home this morning from packing the Moroka30 75L pack around the hills for ten days with Shankspony and Lost and Late,two Kiwi boys that would walk the legs off any bastard.

May 12 ,flew into Christchurch on the East coast then we drove six hours across the NZ Alps to the West Coast to Fox Glacier and propped there overnight for the trip in the next morning.

We set out in pouring rain for our first camp which was a non stop 6.5 hour trip through rough as shit country. The rain didnt stop.We stayed there two days and the second arvo 1.5 clicks upstream from camp and a click off the river I rolled two Chamois bucks one evening for our tucker and then next day we walked another 11 k`s up river which resulted in us three hunters being 28 k`s off the road from where the truck was parked.

We traveled through rivers,creeks, bush,fkn jungle,avalanche chutes,under glaciers that were dropping ice chunks the size of farm sheds and through boulder fields and it was all the way up hill to where the big bull Tahr were way to fuckery above us.This was no walk in the park down a gravel road trip this was pain all the way but through the most incredible country I have ever seen.
Shankspony had a 300 metre long avalanche of ice and snow roar down the chute he was on and it stopped 200 m`s above him, he had been glassing Chamois across the valley when he heard it coming and as he said "i got the fuck out of there quick as " I saw the avalanche trail myself and the 1/2 k plumes of snow and ice dust hanging in the air from another that rumbled down from a glacier above us...geezuz!
It was tough on the gear and on the feet,three of my toenails will drop off this or next week and believe me the knees and hips are feeling it too.

I have walked through a million frosts but have never climbed through rocks where they are covered in black ice,you cant see it but it was coating every bloody thing you put a boot on,some places were hands on all the way and a slip could have had horrible consequences.Having done an Achilles several years ago i was pretty wary of putting my feet down correctly.

Robs Moroka 30 gear? Undoubtedly as good as it gets,tough well and truly made properly and i loved especially the rifle carrier in the middle of the pack as an outstanding extra...climbing through the bush and the rocks meant a hunter had both hands to hang on with and that was a definite bonus.
The pack stood up to everything thrown at it and coped with it all,rain,falls,rocks and scrub and with a total weigh up of just over 30 kilos it proved its worth.. with its inherent toughness,comfort and a multitude of pockets for everything i have concluded that its worth recommending to anyone that wants to pack in to anywhere. "haha thats if my recko is worth anything"
The Moroka 30 s/bag was too hot for me and i used it as a blanket unzipped,heaps of room and warmth galore,my mate was in a feather bag and calling the temps 'cold' through the night even though he was tightly zipped up,i was warm as! Great bag with a monster amount of room too.

Bottom river country heading up and into the far distant hills

Tahr walls up high one morning after some severe climbing

Thats not rock but pure ice the cobber is by

The little dome rock dead centre of pic had a bull on it and believe me its safe as too!

this is him all of two k`s away

another bear way off

We walked 2 hours from 4.45AM in the dark from camp behind and below the furthest ridge on the left side for bulls seen up high the arvo before.

Second last basin in the distance was a destination for Tahr bulls

second lump behind the pointy one in pic centre was a rest spot from where we were resting when I had a crack at a bull, after climbing from the river way below.
I shot over him and there was a big chance of no recovery even if I had rolled him..tough rough country.

Feathered friend that stayed with us a while when we were high above the river.He obviously didnt know what he was chewing on eh!

Some results on the best ever backpack!

We saw 20 bulls in ten days and couldnt get near them as they were well off the bush line and way to fuckery high in the rocks and ice at daybreak.
As many or more Chamois as well.

A great hunt sums it up,one doesnt have to kill to make it so!

The bottom line?

There were no helicopters involved in this hunt!

Click here for discussion thread

--------------------
Forums.NitroExpress.com

Edited by Ezine (01/07/10 04:46 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ForumsAdministrator
.224 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: NitroExpress.com
Re: NZ Chamois & Tahr Hunt by Gryphon [Re: Forums]
      #163137 - 01/07/10 03:38 AM

A few more pics from that hunt.

Sweating after a climb and having a feed of dried apples and apricots,its a long way down.

Scrubby thick steep faces were climbed daily in an effort to get amongst them.

Shankspony with a good Chamois buck...the cigar? A mate suffering from cancer set it up to my house before the trip,the pic is for him.

Same Kea that visited us up high, a day I wont forget,not for him but for the huge ice chunks falling below us that literally shook the ground.

The gutter where the ice was falling (unseen)

The water is cold believe me!

More of the same rough country.

Click here for the discussion thread

--------------------
Forums.NitroExpress.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10832

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com