Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Building Square Bridge Mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
AiredaleMarine
.224 member

Reged: 30/06/10
Loc: Ohio
Building Square Bridge Mauser
      #163101 - 30/06/10 11:25 PM

This is my very first post, and I know others here will be helpful. I have a VZ 24 action made by CZ-BRNO that I plan to build into a 7x57mm. I haven't done a thing to it yet, and one of the first things I want done is to build it into a double square bridge. There is a post by butchlambert1 with photos in which he refers to Dave Christman as being the smith that did his bridges. Can someone please provide me some contact information for Mr. Christman or for anyone else who is experienced and trustworthy of this work. Are the bridges machined and then welded onto the receiver, or is the receiver built up with filler metal and then machined? I also have a Venezuelan Mauser complete rifle in excellent condition that is already 7x57mm that I could use for this project. Does anyone have any ideas as to which might be the better foundation for this project?

One more thing before I go. I have an opportunity to buy an Oberndorf banner Mauser barreled action in .30-06 for $600. This needs reblued and of course a stock. It shows normal wear, but does not seem to have been abused. There is nothing special about this item yet, but I have two questions. First, did Mauser ever chamber for .30-06, and secondly, is it worth $600. Thank you in advance.

Semper Fi,
Airedale Marine

"The enemy is in front of us, they are behind us, they are to our left and to our right. They can't get away from us this time." Col. Chesty Puller, USMC

--------------------
"The enemy is in front of us, they are behind us. They are to our left and to our right. They can't get away from us this time." Col. Chesty Puller, USMC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Building Square Bridge Mauser [Re: AiredaleMarine]
      #163102 - 30/06/10 11:32 PM

AM,
Welcome to the NE forums!
I can't answer your bridge question, but in answer to your question about Mauser and the 30'06 - yes, Mauser did make original sporters in 30'06.
The barrel should be numbered to the action if it is original to the action.
I personally think $600 would be quite reasonable if not drilled or otherwise goofed with.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Building Square Bridge Mauser [Re: Huvius]
      #163153 - 01/07/10 10:44 AM

go to davidchristmangunmaker.com ,, but why the double bridges,,will you be useing them as a base for mounting a scope if so i would suggest claw mounts they look nice and classic and the action doesent need to be heat treated again,,this is just my opinion airdalemarine but bridges either front rear or both are overdone these days ,,even when they are done ecxatly like the originals ...paul

Riflemanusmc
.224 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: Montana
Re: Building Square Bridge Mauser [Re: pjaln]
      #163950 - 13/07/10 01:11 PM

Welcome my Brother...These men on here are pretty squared away.

Semper Fi

USMC Ret. 78/98

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #164181 - 15/07/10 07:00 AM

Airedale Marine,

Mauser did chamber for the superb 30-06 and you wills ee some very nice Model Bs in the caliber if you do a search of these forums. In any case, as official pesterer for pictures on the forums, I must request you to please post pictures of your rifle builds whenever you start them.

Looking forward to some very interesting build pics and hunting pics after the build is completed,

Good hunting, sir, and thanks for your service!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

butchlambert1
.224 member

Reged: 03/03/09
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Building Square Bridge Mauser [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #165408 - 02/08/10 03:37 AM

This is a poor pic of my Mexican double square bridge.

Below is my Banner Mauser double square bridge. David Christman did both of the square bridges.

The next one is my Satterlee double squarebridge receiver.

David Christman doesn't do email very well, phone is best. He is a pleasure to deal with.
Butch

Edited by CptCurl (03/08/10 09:39 AM)

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #165414 - 02/08/10 05:06 AM

I like the look of both single and double square bridge Mausers but I wonder what the practical purpose of the square bridge is. A bridge with built-in scope ring bases provides a secure scope mount but it requires a lot of extra metal and I have seen square bridges with conventional bases screwed mounted on them in spite of the square shape. Square bridges make the action weigh more, not less. They can't add any appreciable strength to the action because the lower receiver face remains the weaker lock-up point. And Square bridges are surely more difficult to manufacture than a rounded receiver. I'm sure many will say that the look alone is reason enough to want a square bridge Mauser but are there any reasons for square bridges other than aesthetics?

I'm not trying to start any arguments. As I said, I like the look. I am just wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

--------------------
~

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Building Square Bridge Mauser [Re: Grenadier]
      #165418 - 02/08/10 05:41 AM

Very nice Butch!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11047

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com