Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SHEEP HUNTING

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
THE_SWEDE
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: THE GREAT WHITE NORTH EH!!!
SHEEP HUNTING
      #16126 - 23/06/04 02:31 PM

Is there any sheep huners out there. Tips on guns or gear??? Favorites???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: SHEEP HUNTING [Re: THE_SWEDE]
      #16148 - 24/06/04 03:35 AM

I have not hunted them yet, but I have been applying for bighorn tags in Colorado. I hunt elk in the area and see bighorns all the time. Amazingly beautiful country where they live, on top of the world! Funny thing is, the elk are sometimes higher than the sheep

When I finally draw I will use my very accurate, synthetic stocked Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag. It is an honest 1/2" rifle at 100 yards with several brands of factory ammo. And the synthetic stock can take the abuse of the climbs without fear of ruining a nice walnut stock.

Someday I'd like to make it up to Alaska, the Brooks range, and go after dall sheep. Another forum member from Alaska has posted pics in the past .....outstanding! All it takes is $$$$$$$$$$ LOL. But I WILL hunt them some time over the next 10 years.

Good luck!

Edited by IronBuck (25/06/04 02:28 AM)

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #16151 - 24/06/04 05:00 AM

I hunt Dall Sheep here in Alaska every year (well, almost every year). I think your gear needs to be tailored to the area you are hunting. For instance, I'm sure your equipment would be different for hunting here than say, in Nevada for Desert Bighorn.

For rifles, any accurate rifle that fits you well chambered for a relatively flat shooting cartridge is fine. They aren't that big or hard to kill once you actually get your shot. I'd guess a .25 caliber rifle shooting 115 grain or better well constructed bullet around 2700 fps at the muzzle would do the trick. I tend to carry rifles with more thump here because of bears roaming the sheep hills, but if that weren't the case, I'd probably tote my 7x57 and be happy.

I think there are 4 things that are absolutely critical for a successful and enjoyable sheep hunt:

First is get in shape for it. You don't need to be a marathon runner or expert mountain climber, but you need to be conditioned for walking up steep slopes and carrying a pack.

Second is good food. You will burn a lot of calories scrambling around the slopes. You need to feed the machine to perform.

Third is good boots that are broken in and fit you well. Stiff leather or mountaineering plastic boots, or a combination thereof, is a good idea. I used Meindl's for several years, but last year switched to Sportiva Lhotse's and like those better. The Lhotse is a mountaineering boot, made with leather uppers, but has a steel shank in the sole and plastic inserts for reinforcement. Basically, if you can dig a lug of sole into a toe hold, you can lift yourself up. Tons of ankle support and they really dig into shale and scree slopes with minimal effort. They are not, however, very good for walking down creek beds. They support your feet and ankles extremely well, so they don't flex at those points. If your foot slips on rounded creek rocks, something has to roll, it's not going to be your foot or ankle, so that only leaves your knees. If you have bad knees I wouldn't recommend mountaineering type boots, I'd go with Danners or Meindl's. If you have bad ankles, I'd definitely go with a mountaineering boot.

Fourth is good glass. A good pair of binoculars in the 8-10 power range, 30-40mm in size. Also a great spotting scope, something around 15-45x. Anything much over 45x and you give up clarity for distortion or haze. Weight plays a major role in good glass, so there is a balance you need to achieve, but I'd take a little heavier pair of glass with great clarity than lighter, less clear optics. I use a pair of 8x30 Swarovski binoculars for about the last 15 years and have never had a problem with them. Very clear and adjustments stay where set. I really like the new Leupold spotting scopes, but have a very old Bausch and Lomb that I can't justify replacing (even though it is too heavy).

If you are sheep hunting in Alaska or Canada, rain gear, fleece, tents and other things should be discussed because of the weather that is usually encountered during sheep season. Tony Russ' book, Sheep Hunting In Alaska, is very informative and highly recommend if you are going to be taking the trip north.

I have to warn you, though, sheep hunting is an addiction. It gets in your blood. In my honest opinion, there is no finer adventure.

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #16153 - 24/06/04 05:47 AM

Swede,

I would agree with what DPhillips stated with only one reservation; that being bad knees and plastic boots. I thought my days were pretty much over in the mountains for any serious stuff. A friend suggested I try plastic boots, so as a last resort I bought a pair of Koflach "Degre" boots. The results(for me) have been remarkable; so remarkable that I wear them almost all of the time(with different combinations of socks/booties). They have been a godsend for me. Working on my second set of laces. My real passion is the Mountain Grizz; it just so happens sheep are there, too. DP is right on in his assessment of sheep hunting. For me? I live for my six to eight weeks in the Brooks Range.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

THE_SWEDE
.224 member

Re: SHEEP HUNTING [Re: ovis]
      #16158 - 24/06/04 12:31 PM

Thanks guys I knew the had to be a few sheep hunters out there. As for optics I think im set 20-60x65 Swaroski and 8x42 Leicas. The rifle Remington 700 in 6.5x55 with 140 grainers should do the trick. On august 12 im leaving for a two week back pack trip for Stones in the Muskwa Kechika. This will be my first serious sheep outing. Had one previous sheep experiance. My hunting partner drew a California Bighorn here in B.C for a high odds area.Having not taken a big game animal my buddy asked me to come along.Spotted the sheep at 8 in the morning 45 minute stalk 15 minutes to look them over BANG!!!! #7 in B.C 177 2/8. I dont think my Stone is going to be that easy.

AVOID MAD COW EAT MOOSE

DPhillips
.375 member

#16162 - 24/06/04 05:15 PM

Swede,
Obivously ovis has much more experience with plastic mountaineering boots than I, so please disregard my comment about the knees. My comment was based on where I felt pressure in my legs the one time I tried them. Not having bad knees, my conclusion from my very limited experience with plastic boots was off target. Apologies.

IronBuck
.300 member

#16168 - 25/06/04 02:31 AM

OVIS,

You need to post some of your Brooks Range pics again! Outstanding to say the least. I hope too be there some day!

ovis
.300 member

Re: SHEEP HUNTING [Re: DPhillips]
      #16174 - 25/06/04 04:56 AM

DPhillips,

Please remember that these boots worked for me and it took me a while to get used to them. They're different to be sure. I was in no way taking anything away from your post; very sound info indeed your post. If they work for you, you'll love them. Also, using a pair of stocking foot hippers or lightweight waist high stockingfoot waders with the Koflach boots make them untouchable for stream crossings. The glacier socks that are available will not hold up as well as these will. Anyone who has had to hike in anklefit rubber hip boots for weeks will really appreciate the support you get from the plastic. Certainly not for everyone, but they sure work for me.

IronBuck,

Last season, the weather was so bad I didn't take a lot of pictures but I have a few. I haven't learned to post pictures(I know, I know, upload to a site.......I'm computer functionally illiterate)but I'll e-mail you a couple if you'd like. I was in Hamburg, PA, a little over a month ago on my trip back to AK. Picked up an original Rigby rifle while there. Let me hear from you.

Life is good,
Joe

--------------------

DPhillips
.375 member

#16178 - 25/06/04 07:55 AM

ovis,
No offense was taken, I hate to see critical review of things in print that I feel isn't fair. I was just trying to keep from doing that. Like I posted above, I have very limited experience with the plastic boots and probably should have kept my trap shut about them.

I came to a conclusion that probably wasn't fair or just, based on a cursory try of the boot. I wasn't offended or anything by your post and appreciate you for stepping up and straightening that out.

I think I'll be back in the Chugach mts this year. That north end of the Wrangells is getting pretty crowded.

ovis
.300 member

Re: SHEEP HUNTING [Re: DPhillips]
      #16188 - 25/06/04 01:21 PM

DPhillips,

It seems everywhere is getting crowded up here now. I think we've seen the last of the best up here but it's still better than anywhere outside, IMHO.

Joe

--------------------

IronBuck
.300 member

#16228 - 26/06/04 06:14 AM

Here are some Brooks range pictures from OVIS. Thanks Joe!

Is this one of those light weight Kifaru tents? How did you like it? I have been thinking about getting one.

Looks like you guys had some company LOL

Great country!

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #16230 - 26/06/04 08:15 AM

I was fortunate enough to take a nice Nevada Desert Bighorn about 1986. I've tried for other varieties, but have not gotten lucky in the draw. We have some decent sheep hunting here...the draw is the toughest part of the hunt, and it is about impossible.

If I could figure out how to post a photo, I'd take one and post. He is above the fireplace...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

ovis
.300 member

Re: SHEEP HUNTING [Re: IronBuck]
      #16232 - 26/06/04 11:46 AM

IronBuck,

The Kifaru Ultralight tipi is an incredible piece of equipment. It will take any weather and wind. It is roomy and very bright(important), material lets in lots of light even in bad weather. My quarters was a new Marmot Asylum 4 season tent. Expensive junk...........for a few dollars more I could have had the big Kifaru tipi and it wouldn't have weighed much, if any more, and I'd have ten times the room. Two days of blowing rain had the Marmot leaking like a sieve. A $5.00 tarp made a very expensive Marmot liveable. This year it will be the Kifaru, if I can recover from the Rigby rifle and my new super, whizbang digital camera purchases. The camera is a lot like my computer in that I have a long way to go mastering either one. Hope you all have a great season and enjoy the pix.
Oh, and thanks IBuck for posting the pictures, you're a gentleman and a scholar..................

Joe

--------------------

THE_SWEDE
.224 member

#16234 - 26/06/04 03:33 PM

OVIS

Have you had any experiance with Kifaru packs?? Wondering if their worth the steep price.

ovis
.300 member

#16248 - 27/06/04 04:08 AM

Swede,

I do not own a Kifaru pack but know several people that do. To a person, they really like them. Packs are a personal choice and can be very spendy. Having not used the Kifaru myself, I cannot give them a personal evaluation, but if they're anything like the quality in and have the utility of the tipis, then they deserve a look.

Joe

--------------------

THE_SWEDE
.224 member

#16286 - 28/06/04 02:40 PM

Checked into the Kifaru packs today. For one that serves my needs im looking at $650 can. I think you could get yourself a sherpa for that kind of money. When searching for packs on the web I came across panniers for dogs. A friend told me certain dogs can carry 30% of their weight. Sounds tempting. Any thoughts.

"THE DISEASE HAS SET IN"

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #16308 - 29/06/04 03:09 AM

Mike

I think you are forgetting that you have to feed the dogs and get them water up there in sheep country. On a two week hunt they would be packing their food. Wait a minute, were you out in the sun making model airplanes again? As for the sherpa, check if Teddy is doing anything those two weeks I thought you were going with Cabela's Alaskan?

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Edited by AdamTayler (30/06/04 03:22 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2210

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com