Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
AfricanHunter
.275 member

Reged: 01/02/04
Loc: Nebraska, USA
What double
      #16009 - 20/06/04 11:23 AM

ASSUME you could have double by say Wilkes, Watson, Lang, Wn Evans in very good condition with slight cordite burn, but not pitted or a like new Wm. Douglas for the same kind of money + or - a few $, Which would you go for and why? Same question if you threw in a Searcy in nice shape at 80% of the money in the equation. All same caliber.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: What double [Re: AfricanHunter]
      #16019 - 20/06/04 08:04 PM

Pick each of 'em up, feel the 'heft', throw 'em to your shoulder, look down the sights.

If you can't tell after that, toss a coin! (...or go buy a bolt-gun!)

My money would almost certainly be on the used Brit gun, based on the results of the above test if nothing else!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #16020 - 20/06/04 08:27 PM

William Douglass

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
      #16050 - 21/06/04 03:23 PM

Leroy

To expand on Marrakai's post:

The rifle, like a well fit shotgun, should point where you look. That would mean you could hit a 6 or 8 inch circle at 20 yards without the sights. The rifle should feel alive in your hands, which pretty much eliminates recoil reducers. Last, it should be like a pretty woman, you can't keep your eyes or hands off of it. Then you have found your gun. By the way the above also applies to dangerous game bolt rifles.

Dave

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #16068 - 21/06/04 11:48 PM

We are talking about heavy doubles here, are we not??

Buying any gun that doesn't fit would be as silly as buying underpants that are too tight!

But, assuming we've got past that stage, take them ALL to the range if possible and shoot them.

Then buy the rifle that doesn't kick the beejeezus out of you. If it's comfortable to shoot, you will shoot it well. It's inherent accuracy is of little practical import for instinctive shooting under 50 yards anyway!

My guess is that you will pick the Pommie double, because if nothing else, they did understand how good stock design controlled recoil.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: What double [Re: 470Rigby]
      #16182 - 25/06/04 12:45 PM

I'd go with the Searcy in the new PH model, I have shot English guns for years, but my new Searcy is by far the best double rifle I have ever owned...It shoots one hole at 50 yards every time, and it will shoot a varity of loads to the same POI, it will shoot monolithic solids where an English gun will not...

After 30 years of English doubles I have gone over to the new guns as far as a hunting tool...The English guns in high grade are investor guns and I would not advise taking them aboard an airliner or to Africa..I can insure by Searcy for 90 days and travel, for the price I paid for it, on my home insurance, I cannot do that with my English guns..

I like the feel of the Wm O. Douglas rifles but have never owned one, so cannot comment on them. I have heard both good and bad...

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #16210 - 25/06/04 11:11 PM

Another way to think about it is that wood can be changed either if you do not think it will effect the value of the gun, or you don't care about collectors value. As Ray said a Sercey is attractive because you can use it and not worry about ruining your investment, also you can get the stock bend, shortened, lengthed or even restocked so that it fits you.

I am not saying here take a hack saw to cherry Purdey or Boss, but if you are looking at a working double rifle, just like a working double shotgun, don't get too stuck on whether the rifle "as is" fits you or not. The stock can be changed usually for much less expense than rechambering; reregulating etc. Buy the rifle from the action forward unless the measurements are really off and you are looking at a total restocking job (which gets pricey). Get your measurements from a good smith or gunfitter and then shop arround. No need to not buy a rifle you really like because it was made for a lefty, or someone with really different measurements, or to get struck with a caliber or action you don't like because the wood fits you better.

No all this applies only when you are comfortable with changing the stock, if not I AM NOT saying ruin a collectors piece. But if you are afraid of modifying the stock for fear of value, would you feel comfortable hunting with the rifle?

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: What double [Re: Chasseur]
      #16245 - 27/06/04 01:00 AM

A British Double without question. For the Client/Hunter any calibre from 450/400 to 475 No2 will work just fine.
If I was a PH I would want a 470, just because ammo is easier to obtain.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: What double [Re: NE450No2]
      #16305 - 29/06/04 01:33 AM

If I wanted an antique to talk about and show my friends, it would be a vintage British piece, and I would not worry about it being a relatively rare caliber with components available on only a hit and miss basis.

If I wanted a hunting rifle, it would be a modern production gun made of good steel in a commonly available caliber, such as .470 or .500.

The nostalgia of an antique gun is only relevant for the nostalgic.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2777

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com