Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Irish Lee Magazine?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Irish Lee Magazine?
      #162194 - 17/06/10 03:42 AM

Hello to all.

Does anyone out there have (or know of where I can get) a Lee S.M.L.E. Irish Constabulary magazine?
My understanding is that it's a 7 shot mag.

I have the rifle (given to me) and I will restock it and make "goodies" like a quarter rib, express sights and other niceties, but only if I can get a magazine.

It would not even have to be "original" to that exact model as long as it would function correctly. Any magazine that will work would be ok with me, but a short one is preferred. 7 rounds of less would be great.

So, if anyone has one, or even has some good advice for me, please let me know.

Steve Zihn

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Irish Lee Magazine? [Re: szihn]
      #162197 - 17/06/10 04:08 AM

Numrich offers a 5-shot magazine for the SMLE, see: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=11952

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
Re: Irish Lee Magazine? [Re: kuduae]
      #162199 - 17/06/10 05:53 AM

Are you talking about an RIC carbine? Those were converted from cavalry carbines, which had 6-round magazines.

Or do you mean an SMLE that was issued to the RIC?

Where do you come by the information that it had a 7-round magazine?

Could you post a pic or some more details about your rifle? That way, we can know what is correct or not. (A quarter rib was never issued on any service rifle, so your intention is to convert it to a sporter? If so, check out the other posts in Lee Speed section of the forums. A full-length rib would be more correct).

If your rifle is a common SMLE, especially a worn out or mismatched rifle, it might be a good candidate for sporterizing, but if it is a rare SMLE, or even better, an original RIC carbine, then it's worth more than your average Lee Enfield and should not be messed with---you could risk turning a $1000 rifle into a $150 rifle, no matter how nicely done. We'd love to see some pics before you start your project.

Thanks for posting!

szihn
.400 member

Re: Irish Lee Magazine? [Re: jc5]
      #162206 - 17/06/10 10:10 AM

Yes that's what I was told it was, an RIC, but it's had the barrel turned down and some parts are missing, so I doubt it's worth much money.
I want to make a hunting rifle out of it. It's super light so it would be a joy to hunt with.
The man that gave it to me told me it was an Irish Constabulary carbine. I can't really say, but he's very knowledgeable about SMLEs. So I believe him.
I did try a #1 Mk 3 mag in it and it won't fit. It's too wide. I am not really sure what i have, but it's not worth it to me to spend time making a nice "speed clone" if I can't get a magazine.
I'll try to post pics soon.
Any help is appreciated.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #162208 - 17/06/10 11:03 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing what Steve makes of it.
Should be great!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

jc5
.300 member

#162228 - 17/06/10 06:05 PM

Interesting. A No.1 MkIII magazine should fit just about anything made since 1892 (except for the WWIII No.4 and No.5 series). If that mag seems "too wide" then you COULD have a Lee Metford MkI or MkI*. Those had slim, single stack magazines that help only 8 rounds, though they were just as deep as the later 10-rd magazines. Those things (the mags and the rifles) are highly collectable. Getting a mag for that style would not be cheap. (If you decide to abandon the project, I would certainly buy the rifle from you! )

If it is a Lee Metford MkI, that's not the sort of thing you'd want to make into a hunting rifle, for many reasons I could go into if we positively identify it as that. Those early Lee Metfords (made prior to 1892) were never issued in carbine form, and they were not converted to RIC carbines. (The RIC carbines were made from cavalry carbines, which had Lee Metord MkII-style actions, with the "wide" magazine but shortened to hold only 6 rounds). Confused yet? I know all this stuff is crazy, but pictures make it easier.

I could post a pic of an RIC carbine, but you could google one just as easily. Besides, if it has already been chopped up, it may not be recognizable as an RIC. Does it say "RIC" on the butt disc?

Whatever it is, it sounds like an early one--I'm eager to learn more!

Hey Tinker, I hope you're settling in to the new digs! I'm jealous! Speaking of Lee Metford MkI actions, that one that you traded me last year was the commercial ("Lee Speed") version of the one that we might be discussing in this thread but the previous owner had put a "wide" (i.e., later) trigger guard on it. Not sure if you noticed that or if we discussed it at the pub, but I think someone had tried to make it "work" with SMLE parts---a essay in futility!

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

szihn
.400 member

#162235 - 18/06/10 12:27 AM

On the left side of the butt socket it has a crown. Under that crown it has ENFIELD. Under that it says 1900
Under that it is stamped L.E.C.
Under that there's a large I stamped
Near the very bottom of socket, stamped sideways, it's marked BR and under that there's an 86
Also missing is the magazine cut-off.
The bolt handle is a welder replacement as you can see.

Edited by CptCurl (12/09/10 10:06 PM)

jc5
.300 member

#162241 - 18/06/10 03:44 AM

Thanks for posting pics!

The "LEC" stands for Lee Enfield Carbine; the "Enfield" stamp refers to the place of manufacture (not the model). This carbine predates the SMLE. However, an SMLE MkIII magazine SHOULD fit....not sure why yours was too wide. Maybe it was bent? Maybe the trigger guard is damaged?

The slim, single stack magazine for the Lee Metford MkI that I described in my earlier post would NOT be right for your carbine. The common double-stack .303 magazines should fit, including the aftermarket 5-d mag that Kuduae linked to above. The new 5-rd mag (by Pro-Mag or something like that) would probably be the closest you can get to the original 6-rd mag. If Numrich doesn't have it, you see them all the time on Gunbroker. I don't own one so I cannot vouch for their quality. I have heard that they are not that reliable. You might also look for a "Santa Fe" 5-rd magazine. These were nice mags made back in the 50s or 60s for an importer that sporterized Lee Enfields. Beware that they made some for both the SMLE and the No.4 series, and they are not interchangeable, and they are not clearly marked (what were they thinking? I guess they didn't expect people to swap mags). They will be marked "Santa Fe' and can sometimes be found on GB or eBay. Again, any surplus SMLE mag should fit, but a sporter really needs a 5 or 6 round mag...in the woods it's nice to carry the rifle without the protruding mag in the way.

OK, so your carbine is (or was) a Lee Enfield Cavalry Carbine MkI*, made in 1900. The question is whether it's also a "RIC Carbine." These were conversions of cavalry carbines that were sold to the RIC in the early 1900s. The conversion basically consisted of altering the nosecap and fore-end to accept the P88 bayonet. A bushing had to be fitted to the muzzle to increase the barrel diameter to take the bayonet. It's kind of an ugly converison, but it worked. A top handguard was also added between backsight and muzzle, and these are dreadfully hard to find nowadays, since many were discarded. If your carbine has already been sporterized, then we wouldn't be able to see these conversion features---so the only way to tell in that case is by looking for a disc on the butt that says "RIC." Does it have that?

---Can you please post a full-length pic of the rifle? -------

Regarding the bolt handle, I cannot see in the photo the weld spot you refer to, but I'll take your word for it. Is the bolt number matching? The cavalry carbines had bolt handles that were swept foreward and flattened (to make it easier to go in/out of a cavalry scabbard), but your does not. Maybe someone welded it up to match the regular infantry rifle bolt---sounds like a lot of work when a replacement bolt could have easily been found! If your bolt numbers match the rifle, then someone has bubba'd the bolt. If they don't match, then this bolt came from a non-carbine rifle.

Your bolt originally had a bolt cover, which seems to be missing. There were lugs on the bolt where it is supposed to attach. I can't tell from the pics whether these have been ground off or not, as is sometimes the case.

Whether to sporterize or not? I cannot tell from the pics whether this has already been sporterized and by how much. I would say that if you wanted a Lee Enfield hunting rifle---something light, fast, well balanced, and handy---then find a one of the many cheap aleady-bubba'd SMLE MkIII's out there and put a sporter stock on it and even some express sights. Why go with an SMLE MkIII instead of your LEC? Here's my reasoning:

1) An SMLE MkIII is common, not rare, and cheap. Your LEC could be restored (expensive but possible, and worth it to someone with the time & money, or a LOT of patience). Here at Nitro Express, hunting conversions are not frowned upon too much, i've noticed. But if you posted over at the Lee Enfield forums about sporterizing an LEC/RIC, they'd go nuts! ("STOP! Wait! Don't do it! Don't ruin that piece of history! there were only 5,000 of those made") I think sporterizing is OK, under the right circumstances. However, I would not sporterize yours any further (more below).

2) An SMLE has a charger bridge that could be used to mount a scope. You might want one someday, if not now. Also, even though a hunter has no use for charger loading, it is convenient and quiet to carry your ammo in 5-rd charger clips rather than loose in your pocket or in a typical ammo carrier with individual slots. Your LEC on the other hand, has to be loaded singly and chargers will not work.

3) An SMLE will also take shorter 5 or 6-rd magazines.

4) Aftermarket stocks and parts are made to fit the SMLE MkIII. There's not a big market for LEC stuff!

5) If you're after a "Lee Speed" clone, remember that BSA and LSA built Lee Speed sporters on SMLE MkIII actions as well as the earlier Long Lee actions, so you could do one up on an SMLE and it would still be "correct." For a picture of what an SMLE MkIII-type sporter looks like, see attached pic below. It is still the light, handy, fast sporter that you're looking for.

Finally, as I mentioned above, I would be interested in buying your LEC if you want to sell it, and I would begin the long process of restoring it, bit by bit. Trust me, I'm not trying to dissuade you from keeping it just so that I can get it! I have enough projects on my plate right now, and a huge Lee Speed research project to finish before I can spare any time for my gun collection. So, proceed as you like with no flak from me. I wish you the best, and I'm happy to help however I can.

Cheers!

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

Edited by CptCurl (12/09/10 10:06 PM)

szihn
.400 member

#162271 - 18/06/10 02:21 PM

JC5, I sent you a PM.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Irish Lee Magazine? [Re: tinker]
      #162313 - 19/06/10 08:20 AM

+1 with Tinker. If Steve builds something on this, it WILL be spectacular.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

szihn
.400 member

Re: Irish Lee Magazine? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #162327 - 19/06/10 11:04 AM

Thanks Mehul.
I'd do my best.

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
      #167623 - 12/09/10 10:07 AM

Agree that a LEC should be restored if possible rather than sporterized, but there is a "point of no return". I see the bolt cover lugs are missing from this one as they are on mine, and it's not even a a carbine bolt, so that is probably the kiss of death as far as restoration is concerned.

The chances of finding a forend, handguard and nosecap are very, very slim to none AFAIK.

I was trying to have some forends and handguards made, but the stock maker I would trust with the job is too busy, so who knows when he'll get to it.

Nosecaps can be made up - I know someone who made one with a drill press and an endmill, but not many people have that skill level.

Make a nice period sporter out of it and posterity will be well served IMO.

Edited by Old_Glass (12/09/10 10:08 AM)

MarinePMI
.275 member

Reged: 21/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Re: Irish Lee Magazine? [Re: Old_Glass]
      #167939 - 18/09/10 12:19 AM

Maybe you guys can help me out, as I think I have an Irish Enfield as well, but I'm unsure.

The markings are:

A crown with "ER" stamped under it.
"Enfield" under that
"1900" under that
"ShtLE" under that
and "1*" under that

This rifle has been sporterized/bubba'ed, so I'm pretty certain it has no collector's value. It does have the floating charger guide, and a magazine cut-off (though I think that is not the original). The magazine is a flush fit, 5 rd(?) steel mag. The barrel has been chopped, and the front action screw head is too big (think it's a mk III screw?).

The serial numbers on the front right side of the receiver ring have been stamped out and new ones added "ER 58-89".

A curious rifle, that I'd eventually just like to sporterize in a more clean fashion (assuming it isn't worth restoring).

Any thoughts?

--------------------
MarinePMI

Edited by MarinePMI (18/09/10 12:26 AM)

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Irish Lee Magazine? [Re: MarinePMI]
      #174127 - 26/01/11 06:15 AM

Could we see a few photos? A MkI* SMLE is a rare rifle in any condition.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11781

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com