Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kashmri ME Action rebuild

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Gunnie
.224 member

Reged: 22/07/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Kashmri ME Action rebuild
      #161694 - 08/06/10 08:18 PM

Have managed to get my hands on a Martini Enfield action. From what I understand the rifle was in 303British calibre before it was stripeed down. I have all the metalwork from the rifle except for the barrel.
Am considering what to do with it. Do I re-build it in the same calibre - 303British or do I have it made up in 577-450???
Was thinking if I go down the 303 track then I would look at cast pills and blackpowder loads for the rifle.

Any opinions, advice or experience would be greatly apreciated.

--------------------
Reach out, way out, one shot & one shot should do the job!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Kashmri ME Action rebuild [Re: Gunnie]
      #161718 - 09/06/10 02:09 AM

You say Kashmeri, Is this a real ME or is this something that was made in the Kashmeri region and commonly referred to as a Khyber Pass special?

If it is real, I would lean to restoration first, then building into a sporter second.

Being that you are in Australia you have a better chance of finding a original ME barrel than we in the U.S. might.

If you can't find an original barrel you could always build a classic sporting rifle with the action. The ME action will have a bushed or small striker designed for use with smokeless powder cartridges. It will also have the smaller extractor for the .303 rim.

The .303 is a good cartridge on par with the .30-06 that is popular here in the US. I would not waste time shooting black powder in this cartridge. The .303 was never a successful black powder cartridge. Sure shoot cast bullets, but use smokeless powder, you will be much happier.

The Khyber Pass specials. So far I have been able to identify three different types of these rifles.

First is a crudely made rifle, made locally in the region. The material used to make them is unknown. Heat treating if any is questionable. internal parts also of unknown material and heat treatment. Some parts are very hard and some very soft. Parts geometry is very rough. Shape and angles are wrong and holes for pins and pivots are in the wrong place and not straight.

I have one example and it fires once in a while. I would not consider these rifles as safe for use and make a poor wall hanger. I will be shooting or trying to shoot this rifle for test for my book to see how durable it is.

The second type of rifle that is called a Khyber pass that I have observed is a re-mark. These rifles appear to be original commercial or volunteer pattern rifles, that have had their actions scrubbed of their commercial markings and spurious British markings reapplied. The purpose is to sell to the GI's in Afghanistan. The rifles are counterfeit! The are made up to defraud the GI's of their money. It's sad because some of them if left unchanged would be worth more than remarked.

These rifles may have a mix of original and hand made parts. They may also my have parts from other type rifles. My rifle has a long Lee Enfield barrel and fore stock. My example was firing but just quite

The actions of these rifles, if you can clearly identify them would be suitable in my opinion for building sporter rifles on. It probably would require extensive replacement of internal parts.

This rifle will also be part of he test for the book.

The last example I am only aware being found in the U.S. They are a total out and out fraud. They are represented as British Arsenal rebuild being brought out of Pakistan.

There is nothing about them original. They are not old and they are not original. In my opinion that new made to meet market demand and are sold to the surplus dealers. The look similar to a Martini. Original parts may or my not fit. The one I have has fired one round and won't work any more.

You need to determine which of the four types you have and them make your decision about what to do.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Gunnie
.224 member

Reged: 22/07/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Kashmri ME Action rebuild [Re: DoubleD]
      #161774 - 09/06/10 10:23 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Will have a good look at the action in the morning. Will try and get some pics posted on the site for further edification.

--------------------
Reach out, way out, one shot & one shot should do the job!

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Kashmri ME Action rebuild [Re: DoubleD]
      #161795 - 10/06/10 02:48 AM

Kashmir lies on the border of India and Pakistan and is not a part of the ME rather it is in south east Asia.The Khyber pass rifles you refer to are made in Darra Adam Khel in the North West Frontier Orovince.Over the passage of time the people here have improved their technology and are making reliable rifles and other weapons.Some of these are also being exported.The 303 british is still being used by the locals since generations and for some it is the rifle.I have personally tried these rifles and have found them to be very accurate.

50Calshtr
.300 member

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Southeast Georgia
Re: Kashmri ME Action rebuild [Re: iqbal]
      #161802 - 10/06/10 06:54 AM

Gunnie,
If the action is in fact a British 303 with the bushed fireing pin and small extractor you may be well ahead to bring it back as a 303. Many, if not, all of the SMLE barrels have the same threads as the ME meaning you can simply screw one in. Of course in real life it's not that simple but close, you may have to take some off the barrel shoulder so it indexes with the action then finish reamer the chamber to headspace and cut the extractor slots. Some how I'm thinking there may be a spare SMLE barrel laying around down there if you want to give it a try.
Best

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3453

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com