Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 2.5x scope on single shot Ruger

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
2.5x scope on single shot Ruger
      #16069 - 21/06/04 11:57 PM

Anyone ever hunted with a 2.5xcompact leupold scope?I put one on a ruger 300wby#1 and it seems to point & Handle very well.The ruger will be a short range hiking,scouting,still hunting,walk about rifle with the chance encounter of a big bear or hog or buck.The area will only allow a 125yrd. shot at max.& 50-75yrds.the normal range.Lots of places maybe 35yrds.Lots of mountain climbing & thicket busting,sneaking,I think the 2.5 should be good for quick offhand shooting and will be compact & light weight& the low power will eliminate the woobles & top heavyness of the big end power scopes.I dont think i will need to have lots of scope power at these ranges anyway?Right?2.5x about right if charged?I want to shoot the 200gr.ammo in the 300wby.Does this sound like a fairly good knockemdown setup?The ruger#1-B is the single shot model.It sure feels good when it comes up & the 2.5x sure does have a lot of eye relief.Is the 2.5x the next step up from just plain iron sights?I know I dont need a 4x12 for still hunting in the woods.I figure the 300wby should have plenty of knock down for about anything at the closer ranges.Anyone gotta rig like this or close?Will one shot be all you would get anyway?Knock em down hard at these ranges and should have time to reload & put a insurance finishing round in the fight before they take off & go down off the mountain and expire where it takes for ever to pack them out.Doesnt most game get shot at less than 100yrds.& one shot will be all you get if they dont give up the ghost,they will run flatout for several yards even if its a perfect shot?The #1 should give excellent accuracy for knockabout hunting rifle.What would be the longest shot one should attempt with a flat shooter with a low power scope with a good solid take your time rest?250yards?How does this setup sound?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: 2.5x scope on single shot Ruger [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #16082 - 22/06/04 02:17 AM

I have the old 3X Leupolds on a lot of my rifles..

The 2.5 Leupold compact scope is the only scope for a 458 Lott and up as it is the only scope that can take the constant beating from the really big bores..The rest will cave in within 10 to 250 rounds at best...

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: 2.5x scope on single shot Ruger [Re: atkinson6]
      #16087 - 22/06/04 04:02 AM

I used to have a #1 tropical in 375 with a Leopuld 2-7 that was perfect - until I got my double! BTW Blackbear, I got my Shooting the British double Friday from www.westlyrichards.com and it really does explain a lot about shooting the double. I will now change my testing and hope to get it regulated with all bullet weights.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Re: 2.5x scope on single shot Ruger [Re: bonanza]
      #16089 - 22/06/04 06:35 AM

Great news!!!
I want be able to get a copy for awhile,I gotta get me a reloading setup first!I think I will get the rcbs rockchucker set.I looked up in my old hornady book today and if i use imr 4350 powder i can load all these rifles.
#1-30-06
#2-300wby.
#3-338winmag.
#4-8mmmagnum
#5-375H&H
It has amased me how much great info & great folks I have met on this site,just lucked up on it surfing the other day!Now iam wanting to shoot a big bore rifle & go to australia & hunt those huge bad boy buffalo they have over there!Man i got it baaaaddd dont I!!!
Iam going to get the book though for sure.
I think iam going to set my ruger #1 up for some scouting time though,I want carry the double rifle if i think it might rain!!!
Thanks pal......oh yea,470NEbarrels with your 375H&H would be Fantastic!!!!

blackbearhunter
.333 member

#16090 - 22/06/04 06:39 AM

Forgot to leave the gsi-merkel number for ya bonanza...
1-800-821-3021 let us know what they say....

Nick_Adams
.300 member

Reged: 20/12/03
Loc: USA
      #16093 - 22/06/04 10:15 AM

I definitely think a compact scope on a Ruger #1 used for "all-around" hunting is the way to go.

When I first got my #1, I tried a standard Leupold 2x7, but it offered more magnification than needed and was weighty. So I switched to a compact 1.75x5, and it's been great. My #1 is a "S" model in 300 H&H mag.

--------------------

Remember ...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

.300 H&H.

Siskiyous6
.275 member

Reged: 21/11/04
Loc: Del Norte COunty, CA
      #21133 - 22/11/04 06:21 PM

I use low power scopes on almost everything. only have my 2 3X9's because one was on the gun when I bought it, and the other was brand new and the first of the three numbers making up its normal price was being ignored by the seller.

Burris has a nice 1.5 X 6 that I use om my 300 Weatherby. I am currently trying to destroy a 1.5X Weaver on my 416, but it isn't giving up easy.

--------------------
Pass it on!

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #21193 - 23/11/04 10:25 AM

In reply to:

Anyone ever hunted with a 2.5xcompact leupold scope?

Yeah, I have one on a double and it's a great little scope!
They are small, light, strong, and have tons of eye relief.
Love 'em!

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Re: 2.5x scope on single shot Ruger [Re: 4seventy]
      #21198 - 23/11/04 11:29 AM

I don't know if you get the South African designed, Japanese manufactured Lynx scopes in the US - maybe you do under a different name. They make a huge range from pistol scopes to 6-25x50 varmint scopes. The optical quality is excellent, for the money - I've got a couple which are as good as the cheaper Leupold lines and not that far from Swarovski/Zeiss/Docter/Pecar/Kahles.

For single shots and double rifles there is a 4x with long (4 1/2") eye relief without being a pistol or scout scope - thus you keep your field of view. The eye relief is long enough to allow mounting well forward, I have the rear of the objective in line with the breech of my Cogswell and Harrison 375 H&H Flanged Magnum Greener cross bolt extractor and this makes loading/unloading much easier. A scope and a cross bolt extension is a real pain in a non ejector rifle, in my experience. The scope has survived a couple of hundred rounds.

Does anyone know if Lynx scopes are sold under other brand names?

mike

shrike
.224 member

Reged: 16/07/04
      #24083 - 14/01/05 09:19 AM

For what you want to use it for, the 2.5X is just great.
The beauty of this short little scope is that it never will destroy the handling and balance quality of your rifle and like you surmised it cuts out a lot of the distracting weebles and wobbles. In terrain of limited visibility field of view is the most important feature on a scope with coarse crosshairs for swift pick up of a frequently fast walking/trotting or running target. Your 2.5X exells here.

The scope is small enough not to take the brunt of bumps.
It can be mounted low on the rifle.
The enlargement is enough for deer out to 300 yards.
Your rifle will certainly do for what you want it for and then some. Although personally I see the single shot in your configuration more as an ideal open country long range proposition with a bigger scope, but that you can use as a future option if you would get the urge to do so.

For the alround kick-about all purpose forest/mountain moose/ deer/sheep rifle I would now see myself with my .308 Manlicher Sako or a short light 30-06.
Coupled with the 2.5x scope, now that would be a well balanced rig.

However I hunted for 5 years in the boreal forest in Alberta between 1976-82 with a Ruger#1 like yours in 300 Win Mag. and a 2-7 scope and another#1 in 45/70 with a leupold 3X. Most of the time my scope was on 2X with the variable and I did fine on moose, black bear elk and deer and so will you too.
Just make sure to have that extra shell handy between your left fingers when you shoot for a quick reload.

I have a 3x Leupold which has been on a 45/70, 35 Whelen, .308 Win,.358 Savage and a .338 where it still is. I never found it wanting for reliability and enlargement.

You will do fine with your good handling rig.
Enjoy

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3147

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com