Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed ID's

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Lee Speed ID's
      #160499 - 15/05/10 12:40 PM

While at the Colorado Collector show today, I took a look at a few rifles being sold as Lee Speeds.
Of course, various chamberings and conditions were represented - in fact, there was not a single example at this show last year.
One question I have in particular is this:
Am I correct in feeling that a "Lee Speed" is only a genuine when it is stamped as such on the action under the bolt?
Some of the guns I looked at had very Lee Speed like finish and features but none were actually stamped "Lee Speed" anywhere. One in particular is a .375 which I like very much - although priced pretty high IMO.
BTW, the only other one I have held is my Hussey which is stamped "Lee Speed" See Below

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: Lee Speed ID's [Re: Huvius]
      #160500 - 15/05/10 01:12 PM

"Am I correct in feeling that a "Lee Speed" is only a genuine when it is stamped as such on the action under the bolt?
Some of the guns I looked at had very Lee Speed like finish and features but none were actually stamped "Lee Speed" anywhere."

Is a Mauser 98 a Mauser solely by name or is it more by design ?

To the purist ,I would say no it's not a Lee Speed unless it is so stated on the action .

Edited by darwinmauser (15/05/10 01:15 PM)

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
Re: Lee Speed ID's [Re: darwinmauser]
      #160502 - 15/05/10 02:08 PM

We call them "Lee Speeds" because the term is convenient. "Lee Speed" is not a model name. Nobody ever advertised or sold a rifle as a "Lee Speed." The stamp itself is a patent acknowledgement, not the name of the rifle. The stamp is not stating anything about the model or name of the rifle---it is acknowledging the patent holders. When the gunmakers were no longer required to acknowledge the patents, they stopped stamping them. But the rifle didn't change, except gradually over the years for other reasons.

Therefore, there is no such thing as non-genuine Lee Speed, if it is a commercial rifle. There are only commercial Lee Metford/Enfield rifles that have the "Lee Speed" stamp and those that don't. (Some collectors will only call a rifle a "Lee Speed" if it has the LSP stamp. That's understandable and just fine with me. The term is just shorthand anyway. But to me, the fact that a sporting rifle was made by BSA with the LSP stamp, and then the identical rifle was made a few years later but lacks the stamp... I regard them as the same rifle, except that one has a stamp.)

However, there IS such a thing a non-genuine (fake) "Lee Speed" if it is simply a military surplus rifle that has been "sporterized." Bad chops are called bubbas. Nicely done conversions might be called...nicely done conversions. They might look beautiful and shoot wonderfully, but they are not genuine commercial sporters. Commercial sporters were built as sporters, for sale to the civilian shooting public.

Therefore, if a Lee Enfield has a royal cpher and a date on the butt socket, it is NOT a commercial rifle (i.e., not a "Lee Speed"), no matter what it looks like. But if it lacks these marks, and has only the gunmaker's name (or nothing) in that spot, it is probably a commercial rifle, notwithstanding dozens of exceptions, rare cases, and models that fall outside the time period, but I'm sure you follow me without belaboring the point.

Best regards,
JC

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Lee Speed ID's [Re: jc5]
      #160508 - 15/05/10 04:52 PM

jc5 thanks for that info.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2306

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com