Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
I am seeing ghosts...everywhere!
      #160364 - 13/05/10 05:23 AM

Hi guys – remember the butchering I was going through:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=89525&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Well - I just hope that enough is enough...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23UhypY-pUg

After long heavy brainstorming I’ve pulled the plug and visited a retired gunsmith in vicinity, just to talk about ghost sights. As a surprise, old man smiled when I asked him if he has ever heard about, or even made a ghost ring sights. He slowly went to his chambers to be back in a minute with his old cape gun. He handed it to me and behold – there were nice ghost ring sights sitting there – staring at me. Cape gun was his exam work when he finished a gunsmith school in Ferlach some 50 years ago. To cut a long story short – in a couple of weeks my Merkel was there and the long wait began...oh - he took some time and I just let him do his job – finally, after 2 ½ months, I received a call that my Merkel is finished. I just couldn’t wait to get it in my hands and give it a try at the range...and right now my smile is just as Robert Duvall’s from the end of that clip...

Custom made 1mm front bead – horizontally adjusted

Custom made 2mm ghost sight – vertically adjusted - 1 turn is 2.5cm aka 1” at 100m

Former rear sight filling

4xR-L, RWS factory 293 TUG’s at 100m (pretty scary – I don’t remember shooting in that manner - even with a scoped rifle for some time!)

Edited by CptCurl (13/09/10 08:30 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: 93mouse]
      #160384 - 13/05/10 06:42 PM

Thats a nice setup, i really like ghost sight or hunting diopters and by the looks of it you master it also.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: 450_366]
      #160392 - 13/05/10 08:34 PM

Thanks - although very simple and sturdy but they work, thanks to things behind the scenes - for those interested in aperture sights, here are some things worth look at.

- Theory from Lyman:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/pdf/LyC_Sight_Tang.pdf

- Parallax suppresion with a target rifle aperture sight by A. Kerr - interesting stuff that explains a lot:

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/Aperture_Sight_Demo.pdf

- How things work out in praxis - I found it somewhere on the net but forgot where and who wrote it, but it is as it says:

"Step 1
Look through your peep sight at a bright wall or the sky (on a non-cloudy day). Do NOT allow the front sight to come into view. Do you see the small "fuzzy" in the middle of the rear sight? Some people see it as a blur, others see a gray or a blue-gray object. This "fuzzy" is the OPTICAL CENTER of your rear sight.

Step 2
Add the front sight to your view. Notice how your eye automatically put the tip of the front sight into the middle of the "fuzzy"? Your eye likes having things lined up (the optical center of the rear sight is now aligned with the front sight).

Step 3
Let's add a target into your sight picture. Again, you'll notice that your eye has automatically put the target into the optical center of the rear sight and at the tip of the front sight. By now your eye is getting tired. Do you see a squiggly, worm-like object in the sight picture? (Usually crosses your vision diagonally) The surface of your eye is starved for oxygen and you are watching a blood corpuscle go across the cornea of your eye. Relax, blink your eyes, and look at something else for a few seconds ... give your eyes a brief rest.

Step 4
As you may have noticed briefly at step # 3, your eye was going berserk trying to focus on the target, the front sight, and the rear sight all at the same time. You can't do it ... it's physically impossible for your eye to focus on three different objects at three different distances at the same time. Since the front sight determines where the bullet goes, focus on the front sight (fine tune it like your TV set so the front sight is sharp and clear). The target will get a little fuzzy and you will hardly see the rear sight for the blur (this is OK because it means you have focused on the front sight). Congratulations, you now have a perfect sight picture, using peep sights!

Shooting is a skill of consistency. IF you do everything the same way, every time you fire a shot ... you'll hit the bull's-eye every time (in theory at least). One more time, real quick on the four steps:
1 Find the blur
2 Put the front sight in the middle of the blur
3 Put the target at the tip of the front sight
4 FOCUS on the front sight"

- Koos Barnard's article in African expedition magazine on using them in the field:

http://africanxmag.com/ghost_rings.htm

ChrisPer
.300 member

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: Australia
      #160442 - 14/05/10 05:33 PM

Find the blur? Bullshit. Watch the target, raise rifle, put foresight on target, bang-flop.

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: ChrisPer]
      #160445 - 14/05/10 06:11 PM

- must admit it take some time to get used to not to worry about aperture sight (you know - if it is too good to be true then it usually isn't - not in this case) - well put Chris!

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: ChrisPer]
      #160473 - 15/05/10 04:40 AM

Quote:

Find the blur? Bullshit. Watch the target, raise rifle, put foresight on target, bang-flop.

Too right, there is no time, nor need, to get into all the theory.

I have aperture sights on my hunting rifles and they are the quickest and most instintive sight to use when hunting. See the animal, raise the rifle and shoot. Go get the meat.

Nice job on the Merkel though.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: VonGruff]
      #161633 - 07/06/10 04:33 PM

Saturday morning:

Further on blur - while nonexistent under good light conditions, it kicks in when lights are fading (dusk, deep woods...), and it darkens the target area (remember ring is 2mm dia.) so one has to increase the effort on focusing the bead even further.

Edited by CptCurl (13/09/10 08:30 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #161654 - 08/06/10 12:17 AM

The hole appears to be too small to allow enough light for dim light conditions. It is a long way away from the eye as apertures are concerned and therefore could benefit from being larger.

Good idea, though.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: DarylS]
      #161708 - 08/06/10 11:57 PM

Yes, 93mouse did over-intellectualised the business but that tutorial has some value. It touches on matters like the eye automatically centring the foresight and eye fatigue that probably troubles target shooters. I'm surprised it doesn't mention the ability of a small aperture to sharpen your picture of the bull (I'm myopic but even without my glasses I can still resolve distant objects by peering through a pin-or-nail hole).

What is not mentioned is that for fast shooting with a large aperture, you really need the rifle to fit you so well that the rear sight is almost irrelevant. Otherwise, when in a hurry you really can let off the shot without having the foresight centred. So, don't look for the blur - have it will find you.

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: Paul]
      #161748 - 09/06/10 04:34 PM

Yes Daryl - I am aware of that - however I am quite pleased with results and since rifle will be used mostly under good/very good light condition I guess I will leave it as it is. The whole game atm is just to grow those sights on me and get the confidence in them. I used to shoot with apertures when I was in my early teens on airgun matches and forgot about them ever since - but dejavu that is happening is just great!

Quote:

Yes, 93mouse did over-intellectualised the business...

- sorry couldn't resist - those aparatus are just fascinating and when I stumble upon things like that in my life I try to bottoms up

Quote:

I'm surprised it doesn't mention the ability of a small aperture to sharpen your picture of the bull (I'm myopic but even without my glasses I can still resolve distant objects by peering through a pin-or-nail hole).

Very true!

93mouse
.375 member

#162226 - 17/06/10 04:53 PM

Quote:

The hole appears to be too small to allow enough light for dim light conditions. It is a long way away from the eye as apertures are concerned and therefore could benefit from being larger.

Good idea, though.

Finaly managed to get a decent photo of a look through - here is an approximate view (aperture is actualy much more ghostly then it appears on the photo).

So far I have put 80 rounds through it, however it's getting bit costly, so I have sent my .22 Brno Mod.2 to the gunsmith to make me an exact replica of sights he made on Merkel. Should be done next week - then I see a couple of thousands .22's going down range...

Edited by CptCurl (13/09/10 08:31 PM)

93mouse
.375 member

#167687 - 13/09/10 05:01 PM

Welll guys I have done it again - this setup has realy grown up on me and I am just beginning to enjoy the confidence that is sky high atm:

Edited by CptCurl (13/09/10 08:31 PM)

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
      #167696 - 13/09/10 08:32 PM

Confidence is the key 93mouse.

Well done and as long as it works for you,it is right.

Cheers Neale.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: FATBOY404]
      #167759 - 14/09/10 10:00 PM

That is a great Stag and taken with an open sighted double in 9.3. tops!

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: ozhunter]
      #167761 - 14/09/10 10:48 PM

Very - very close Adam...still I have an outstanding bill with Sincerus Caffer that I intend to straighten later this year + I've promised to John to take my chance with Chamois...hum I can imagine black shaggy goat on the snowy ridge...silver bead...

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #167805 - 15/09/10 07:24 PM

Chamois with 9.3? mmmm, sounds like fun.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #167857 - 16/09/10 09:21 AM

Very, very nice! Congratulations!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #167865 - 16/09/10 12:50 PM

93mouse,

OK, I'm convinced that the next time I head out to the range with my .280 Ross double I should remove the scope and flip up the diopter.

Nice stag by the way, and taken with your 9.3. Very nice!

Regards,

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: Buchsemann]
      #167871 - 16/09/10 05:44 PM

Thanks guys!

I don't know but there is something about shooting with open sights that triggers some strong primeval feelings & makes shooting through scope like watching TV - accurate but kind of surreal.

Point is, I have a soft spot for iron sights - there is a sweet memory deeply imbedded in my mind of my first big game taken with borrowed Ferlacher double in the snowstorm with silver bead. That memory was fading away through years but remaining that strong so I have obtained this double deliberately to keep it up. Now the sights are catching up all is as it should be.

93mouse
.375 member

#172528 - 02/12/10 10:57 PM

Edited by CptCurl (03/12/10 10:42 AM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #172533 - 02/12/10 11:43 PM

93mouse....do you ever work ??? great stuff, Mike

93mouse
.375 member

Re: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere! [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #172536 - 03/12/10 01:47 AM

Quote:

93mouse....do you ever work ???

No...should I?

Thanks Mike - I actualy busting my head just now at work (arrived yesterday) and it is a killing pace must say - but hey will worry about that later

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #172547 - 03/12/10 05:13 AM

Beautiful, typical Roosevelt elk or Vanvouver Island, or Graham Island both in British Columbia.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #172569 - 03/12/10 02:25 PM

Poor quality photos (low light levels and I was in a rush) of my NEGC rear ghost sight on my 458 - got this instead of a taller front sight (Recknagel). It fixed the elevation issues that I had.

Edited by CptCurl (03/12/10 10:57 PM)

93mouse
.375 member

#175188 - 09/02/11 11:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have sent my .22 Brno Mod.2 to the gunsmith to make me an exact replica of sights he made on Merkel. Should be done next week - then I see a couple of thousands .22's going down range...

Almost forgot - here is a pic:

in action in the off-season training action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3juerQ5G0iQ

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13008

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com