Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rifled Barrel on Greener Martini Shotgun Action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
vol423
.224 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: TN
Rifled Barrel on Greener Martini Shotgun Action
      #160264 - 11/05/10 01:30 PM

I just received a couple of ER Shaw rifled 12GA shotgun barrel blanks. I have a Greener GP 12GA shotgun action and I just sent it off to a gunsmith for barreling with one of them. This gunsmith has extensive double rifled shotgun building experience so this should be a cakewalk for him. He usually chambers all his 12GA guns for 3 inch shells, even though it's a little difficult for 3" shells to "turn the corner" on the Greener action. I'll probably shoot 2-3/4" sabot slugs in it, but I saw the thread about round balls and brass cases. I wonder about loading for this gun. I'm kinda surprised that no one else has done this before. Maybe they have and I haven't noticed. Anyway I'd like to hear any suggestions about getting this gun running right. Thanks in advance. Allan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Rifled Barrel on Greener Martini Shotgun Action [Re: vol423]
      #160281 - 11/05/10 08:23 PM

I've owned a 12b double rifle, but never a Greener SS.

Nevertheless, I can tell you the best choice will be to go no longer than 2.75", and probably 2.5".

Round balls will be your best choice if the barrel has slow enough twist. In fact, if I were doing this project I would set it up for round balls from the inception. What is your twist rate?

Also, what is your groove diameter? That will dictate whether you should use brass cases or paper cases with a round ball. If it's a standard 12b (.735" grooves or thereabouts), use of brass is not going to be an option. A ball to grip the inside of a brass case will be too large.

Many questions. It all has to fit.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #160312 - 12/05/10 09:01 AM

Vol, 450 Ackley has a nice one here:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....3&fpart=all

Who did you send your blank to for the work? I've had a Shaw tube and Greener GP sitting in the garagefor a couple of years now awaiting just that project, but it's always been superceded by more pressing ones.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

vol423
.224 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: TN
Re: Rifled Barrel on Greener Martini Shotgun Action [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #160322 - 12/05/10 12:52 PM

The twist is 1/28". The bore/groove dimensions are .721/.729 according to ER Shaw. I'm actually having two done. I shipped a takedown Greener GP shotgun to John Taylor Machine in Washington along with one of the blanks. He's going to fit it as a second barrel for the set. The other gun is a former Police Gun. It's going to another smith who is semi-retired and would not want his name mentioned. He has done several guns before and he chambers all his rifled barrels for 3" chambers and the shorter shells shoot more accurately with the longer chamber.

Edited by vol717 (12/05/10 11:28 PM)

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #160324 - 12/05/10 01:37 PM

Very nice stuff. I almost bought (missed by a day!) an Army-Navy marked Martini-Action 12 ga. single at a sale at Briley's i Houston. My thought was to put on a Briley rifled chock and make a Parodox.
It was a beauty with light engraving and nice stock and forend. I would have put on a nice express sight with ivory bead. Oh, well. By-gones.
Now I have to settle for my little combo in smooth 16 ga and 12.7X44R or my 9,5x56 x16. with rifle and ball in the smooth. That will do.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4750

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com