Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remington is making 1911's in .45ACP again!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Remington is making 1911's in .45ACP again!
      #160098 - 07/05/10 06:41 PM

G'Day Fella's,

As some of you may already be aware, Remington are making/marketing 1911 auto pistols.
The on-line images of these pistols look good so I can only hope the real thing is just as good!

For those not aware of it Rem used to make these for WW1 and or WW11 (???, some one that actually knows, please confirm this), production.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
VAnimrod
.224 member

Reged: 02/05/10
Loc: NC, USA
Re: Remington is making 1911's in .45ACP again! [Re: Homer]
      #160105 - 07/05/10 10:20 PM

Actually, this is one is a production "frankengun". 1911 flat mainspring on the frame and no beavertail with a straight A1-style hammer and trigger, no lanyard loops on magazine or frame, Series 80 firing pin system, conglomeration of metals (carbon steel frame and slide; stainless barrel and bushing), modified ejection port, beveled mag well, STUPID loaded chamber indicator. Likely a Philippino-made pistol (nothing wrong with that) with Remington's egregiously stylized "R" on the slide for a rebadge and price mark-up of a couple hundred bucks.

Sorry, I'll pass. If I want an entry level 1911 made in the Philippines, I'll buy a Rock Island Armory for $400-ish, and have the same basic pistol that Remington is selling without the mark-up or mismatched genre of parts.

Of course, YMMV.

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
Re: Remington is making 1911's in .45ACP again! [Re: Homer]
      #160115 - 08/05/10 02:45 AM

The WWII pistols were Remington-Rand, which if I remember right was a typewriter co. They like others, Smith-Corona (typewriters) Rock-Ola (jukeboxes) etc., went into arms production during the war to supply the need. If I'm not mistaken, Remington-Rand and Remington Arms are two different companys with no connection.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Remington is making 1911's in .45ACP again! [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #160116 - 08/05/10 02:53 AM

What I understand is that Remington Rand was "connected" to Remington in a busines sdeal, but there are 2 different factories.

I also would like to see a 1911-A1, done to high quality standards of quality and RELIABILITY , but with none of the modern changes.
I carried a 1911A1 for several years of my life in the USMC and I have come to love and respect the gun.
We have lots of "new ones".
I'd love to have one "just like the old ones".
But that's just me,,,,,
You guys may disagree.

Edited by szihn (08/05/10 02:58 AM)

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: Remington is making 1911's in .45ACP again! [Re: szihn]
      #160121 - 08/05/10 07:32 AM

I saw those guns too - they sent me an email about them in the "Remington News". Here's what they have to say:

After nearly a century, Remington returns to its rightful place as the manufacturer of one of America's most revered handguns; the 1911. From the moment you wrap your hand around it's double diamond grips and lay your finger on the polished aluminium of the telltale short trigger, you'll know first-hand why the 1911 has such a devoted following. And modern enhancements make the best even better. The 1911 R1 features a flared and lowered ejection port; beveled magazine well; loaded chamber indicator; high profile dovetailed single-dot front and two-dot rear sights; a crisp 3.5 - 5 pound trigger pull; and a match grade stainless steel barrel and barrel bushing. It also has the Series 80-style firing pin block safety.

The Remington 1911 R1 is hand-crafted and shipped from Ilion, New York-- the birthplace of Remington Arms-complete with a custom carry case, two seven-round magazines and a barrel bushing wrench. So you can be assured of all the pride, precision and out-of-the-box performance you've come to expect from the Remington branded products.

For more information on this once-in-a-lifetime sidearm, visit the all new 1911 R1 website- www.1911r1.com.

The rebirth begins in June 2010. So talk to your select dealer today, and reserve your place in owning a piece of firearm history. The Remington 1911 R1.

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Remington is making 1911's in .45ACP again! [Re: crkennedy1]
      #160195 - 09/05/10 05:04 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for your input on this subject.
I to received this info via the Remington News e-mail.

I have (I think) personally owned four 1911's in my time.
The first was in 1980 a Colt Combat Commander, another the same, then a Colt Tactical Elite all in .45ACP. Then in about 2003 some slimy politician (Lets call him "Little Johnny"), banned them!
With the proceeds of the sale of the above and others, I purchased my current IPSC pistol, a Kimber Stainless TargetII in .38 Super. I have replaced all the internals and some other parts (sear, hammer, disconnector, trigger, mag-guide, ambi-safety etc) with Brown, Wilson, S&A etc after market parts and fitted some nice Ahrends "Kingwood" grips.
I now have a really nice and accurate (<2" @ 50meters) pistol!

The 1911 is a truly great pistol and yet again confirms what a genius, Mr John Moses Browning was!!!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2888

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com