Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle Extra Barrel Set

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Double Rifle Extra Barrel Set
      #15987 - 20/06/04 12:30 AM

Can extra barrels be made in different calibers for a double rifle& can the double shotguns have extra set of rifle barrels made for them?Is it very costly?Can it be done without a lot of cost?Anyone ever try?I know the blaser & thompson/center sure do offer a lot of barrels for ther single shots & bolt guns?
Seems cool if the Big Bore shooters could just change barrels & shoot & hunt & practice with lighter calibers all on one frame.Would there be a demand for a shop that specialized in such custom work?Or is this common practice already?Anyone have any suggestions?Would like to know what would be involved...........

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Double Rifle Extra Barrel Set [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #15999 - 20/06/04 05:33 AM

BLACKBEARHUNTER , your Merkel can be sent back to the factory for another set of barrels to be fitted. They offer CAPE GUN sets (A rifle barrel on the right, and a shot barrel on the left),and double rifle barrels of a different chambering, or a pair of shot barrels. This isn't cheap though, the price runs into thousands! You rifle is a 30-06, and tha action is limited to the 9x3X74R on the top end, or 20 ga shot barrels for the shot tubes, from the factory. Champlin's in Enid, OK will make you a set of double rifle barrels on your action for $7K, but because the Merkels are chopper lump rifles, the barrel sets from the factory are a better idea, and would be a lot cheaper, I suspect! I have a Merkel 140E double rifle chambered for 9.3X74R and I'm thinking about haveing a cape gun set made by Merkel, in 20 ga/9.3X74R, but I havent checked the price yet! Makeing a barrel set for a double rifle is not a simple thing to do, and it can't be compared to the likes of TC contender, and NEA switch barrel sets. It requires a lot more skill, and know-how than most smiths in the USA are endowed with! One thing you might think about is, the proper cartridge configuration for a double rifle is a RIMMED cartridge. If you have a set made, choose a rimmed cartridge, like the 9.3X74R, or any of the two or three rimmed cartridges Merkel offers in your rifle action size!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Double Rifle Extra Barrel Set [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #16014 - 20/06/04 02:44 PM

I think a set of shotgun barrels is a great idea. For example taking a heavy rifle on safari. Switch the barrels to the shottie and enjoy a day's guinea fowl shooting or dove or whatever.

Also what a fantastic way to really learn your double rifle. Shooting endless clays with it. OK the shotgun barrels might feel a little different but it a start to knowing it like the back of your hand.

Also a set of barrels is sure lighter and less space consuming than a whole extra shotgun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Double Rifle Extra Barrel Set [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #16084 - 22/06/04 03:42 AM

Dugaboy,

I have the 140-2 in 375H&H, do you think I could get a set of 470 barrels for the same action? Even if it were 3-5 K, it's still cheaper than a new gun!

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Re: Double Rifle Extra Barrel Set [Re: bonanza]
      #16088 - 22/06/04 06:20 AM

Hey bonanza,Heres their number to gsi in alabama,let us know what they say,1-800-821-3021.
Herbert is the gunsmiths name....They are super nice& will be glad to help....

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #16128 - 23/06/04 06:22 PM

A buddy in San Antonio has a Kreighoff 500/416. He has a set of 20 Ga. barrels, a set of .375 Flanged, and one other set of 7X??(can't remember) barrels. All on the same action. He is very happy with his set up.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #16135 - 23/06/04 11:12 PM

I've spoken to the good folks at GSI, but not about extra barrels. BTW blackbearhunter - you may find many people dislike GSI because they happen to be the biggest and most successfull importer. But there service is exellent. I.E., a mate of mine had the stock of his 140-2 crack right at the one year mark of his warrenty. GSI determined it could not be fixed and sent it back to germany to be restocked, completely free of charge! Second, my local dealer sells a lot of Merkels (Charlotte is rich) and was able to get a very sweet deal for me on my 140-2 as a favor to the dealer. I ignore those guys who say "I can go to paris, brussles, or where ever and get the gun soooo much cheaper", becase that is where it has to be sent if it breaks!

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2807

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com