Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: W. Richard Double Barrled 10 Ga. Shotgun - Belgium

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
VIShooter
.224 member

Reged: 19/06/04
Loc: Nevada
W. Richard Double Barrled 10 Ga. Shotgun - Belgium
      #15956 - 19/06/04 08:52 AM

I've been lurking here for some time and have learned a ton, but a recent acquisition has my curiosity up a little and I thought the folks here may have some insight.

A 10 ga. double barreled shotgun that belonged to my Grandfather has found its way to my safe. It has exposed hammers and is marked "W. Richard" and "Belgium", with no other markings I have identified. Frankly it does not strike me as a particularly well-crafted firearm, but I am totally ignorant regarding its proviance and value, if any.

Are any of you familiar with this item?

Brad

--------------------
Brad L. Kerby

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: W. Richard Double Barrled 10 Ga. Shotgun - Belgium [Re: VIShooter]
      #15962 - 19/06/04 09:32 AM

Brad

Was that "W. Richard", without an "s"????

If it has the "s", it could be the provincial gunmaker William Richards, often confused with the better known Birmingham maker "Westley Richards".

William Richards was originally a London gunmaker, starting out in 1801, but after the founder died in 1820, his son (also a William) moved the business to Liverpool in 1842.

Westley was also a family name, with a Mr Westley Richards running the business from about 1895, who died in 1944 aged 86. The comany was in existance at least until 1953.
The quality of their guns is usually quite good; this is at odds with your description.

Also, the "Belgium" marking on your gun does not "gel". Certainly, it was common for Belgian guns to be sold via English gunmakers, but usually every care was taken to conceal their origins.

My guess is that a Belgian maker has marked it "W. Richard", as part of a subterfuge to induce some gullible buyer that think he was getting the real thing. If it had English Proof Marks, then it's story would be somewhat clearer??

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: W. Richard Double Barrled 10 Ga. Shotgun - Belgium [Re: 470Rigby]
      #17028 - 22/07/04 03:28 PM

The W Richards with Belgium proofs were imported by the tens of thousands in the late 19th Century. They sold for about $5 which included 67% customs duty. The good Richards guns were the English Richards guns...both W. Richards, William Richards, and William Westley Richards. You might also see Parkers and Purdys with English addresses but always Belgium proofs. Subterfuge, indeed.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1883

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com