Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed Butchery ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Lee Speed Butchery ?
      #141227 - 27/08/09 03:12 PM

Ive been working on my Lee Speed Fake & now have a BSA Lee Speed action too , full of holes & may be trigger guard lump on one side has been ground off , the other , non trigger finger side is standard .

Has any one seen this on a sporter before or is this more butchery ?

Should I weld it up , leave it , or file off other side ?

Thanks for any ideas !

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: Lee Speed Butchery ? [Re: Sarg]
      #141228 - 27/08/09 03:23 PM

Looks like someone went mad with the polishing wheel or the emery paper, it's in a non critical area so I would assume it could be tig'ed up as long as the heat can be controlled .I see 2 extra screws behind the ejector screw hole , from memory they were'nt put in at the factory ,are they for an aftermarket sight? what about the rest of the action , no other damage ? those actions without the provision for the volley sight or safety were the best looking ones.

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed Butchery ? [Re: darwinmauser]
      #141406 - 01/09/09 08:48 AM

Yes , polished , but looks like some one tried to make the trigger pull-reach easier , lots of holes from people trying to but a scope on it & it had a factory peep sight on it , looks factory any way .

I will have it "Laser Welded" they do micro welding down to 0.3 welds , I might have to get the front edge of the butt socket filled to as the fore wood has a 1/2 Mil gap , my nice piece of wood was machined too short ! !

Thanks

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
      #141411 - 01/09/09 09:54 AM

"I might have to get the front edge of the butt socket filled to as the fore wood has a 1/2 Mil gap , my nice piece of wood was machined too short ! ! "

I don't know if that's the best way to go about it mate , I'd be looking at making a sheet steel spacer and attaching it to the rear of the forestock . If you just raise the edge of the buttsocket your going to have uneven bearing which is not good for accuracy, and your timber is going to split.

cheers
Pete

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
      #145269 - 06/11/09 02:09 PM

Any updates on this project?

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #145270 - 06/11/09 02:27 PM

Quote:

"I might have to get the front edge of the butt socket filled to as the fore wood has a 1/2 Mil gap , my nice piece of wood was machined too short ! ! "

I don't know if that's the best way to go about it mate , I'd be looking at making a sheet steel spacer and attaching it to the rear of the forestock . If you just raise the edge of the buttsocket your going to have uneven bearing which is not good for accuracy, and your timber is going to split.

cheers
Pete

In effect, Sarg, I think you need a new forestock, or...

I've fitted many of these and they require removal of VERY fine shavings from the lug seats in the forestock. When fitting the forestock on, they should sort of "cam" into seat. If there is a large gap it usually means too much was chiseled off.

Good news is that if the front guard screw hole will accept it, you can by tapping the forestck back toward the butt socket bed the lug seats with Acraglas to force them back, or, do as many Aussie forestocks are done, and fit small copper plates on the lug seats.

Anyway, what you describe isn't uncommon, but can be a bugger to fix.

Yeah, a filler plate can be fitted to the rear of the forestock, but it can wind up advertising the gap, not hiding it.

Ain't these projects fun?

They are actually!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed Butchery ? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #145320 - 07/11/09 11:30 AM

Thank you for the tips 9.3 !
I was going to get the fore wood fitted by a stock guy , I have welded up the action , looks perfect in the white BUT I think the tigged up bit might not blue yet , might have to file it off & start again !

I now have 3 more actions 2 BSA commercial actions & a 1893 , all have machining for the volley sight , I now could fit the stock & barrel to one of these !

I have a old action that was twisted when some one took the barrel off & was thinking of making a couple of welding rods out of it to fill in the other actions machining ?

Thank you for the interest , I have the action at the bluers , for a test blue before I clean it right up , I will try to get a photo before I do , could try rust blue to get a better cover on different metals too ?

And not so much fun now , cost a bloody fortune & wont be as good as the W/R I got for Tinker .

I wish I had kept that one now ! !

Sarg
.400 member

#145548 - 10/11/09 09:43 AM

Ok , too late it had been reblued , as you can see the Tig was not good , the guy must have used bloody stainless ?

I will file off & retry !

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #145564 - 10/11/09 02:03 PM

Sarg, you must be right. Can you TIG stainless?

What else could it be?

The filled holes look pretty good. Really good. You have the action side done up nicely.

Keep at it!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Lee Speed Butchery ? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #145616 - 11/11/09 09:01 AM

Thank you 9.3 !

I dont know but looks & felt like a different metal when I was working it .

In the white it was prefect , on Bluing their is a slight colour difference , I might try Rust Bluing one day .

Yes have to keep going now , might be a while before she is finished how ever !

Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
      #159400 - 24/04/10 10:42 AM

Looks like the remains of a Lyman 48 sight there. The rounding over of the shoulder for the rear guard screw was probably done to make it a little easier on the trigger finger. The fairly sharp edge there can be a bit annoying to some people.

Receiver looks very nice now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4196

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com