Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Technical question on Pachmayr tip-off mount

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
malco
.275 member

Reged: 11/02/09
Loc: montana, usa
Technical question on Pachmayr tip-off mount
      #158980 - 15/04/10 03:18 AM

A friend owns a 1952 MS with a Pachmayr tip-off sidemount. These mounts have aluminum two-piece rings, with the front and rear halves formed as a single casting and thus connected to one another by a lateral bar. This bar limits choice of scope to straight-tube designs only. He's contemplating cutting the bar out of there altogether in order to mount a better scope with modern internal adjustments, and it does seem like the rigidity of the scope tube itself would more than compensate in terms of strength. Has anyone else tried this, or have an opinion before he rolls the dice and grabs the hacksaw?
Thanks--
Malcolm

"Nobody knows, from sea to shining sea, why we're having all this trouble with our republic..."

Thomas McGuane

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KurtC
.224 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: NJ, USA
Re: Technical question on Pachmayr tip-off mount [Re: malco]
      #158984 - 15/04/10 04:11 AM

As I recall, the bar connects just the bottom halves of the rings. It doesn't necessarily limit the scope to a straight tube, but it does limit the choices to older scopes that do not have an adjustment boss that surrounds the tube. Older models only have the boss on the top and right side.

These mounts were not the highest of quality (although they did a fine job). I think cutting the bar off might effect the stability of the top as it sits in the mount. The nice think about these mounts is that it allows you to pivot the scope to the left for loading, expecially if you have a model 1950 M-S that still had the stripper clip guides.

malco
.275 member

Re: Technical question on Pachmayr tip-off mount [Re: KurtC]
      #158990 - 15/04/10 05:56 AM

Kurt--
Thanks for your quick reply. I don't have the mount in front of me, but when I last looked at it I got the sense that the bar was mainly there because it was easier to manufacture the ring halves as a mono-casting, rather than as an engineered aspect of the integrity of the mount system itself. But I could be wrong! You're definitely right that the Pachmayr isn't of the greatest quality--I told my friend that if he tries removing the bar and all goes south, the silver lining is an excuse to buy a G&H mount and be done with it...
On another note, I've followed your other postings and noticed some of your rifles for sale here and there, and I have to commend your taste! Being in NJ, are you affiliated with G&H somehow?
Best,
Malcolm

KurtC
.224 member

#159003 - 15/04/10 11:01 AM

I'm not affiliated with G&H, but I have spent a lot time there (buying, selling, trading, advising, etc). Paul and Bill are the only smiths that I trust tweaking an M-S or Brno. They've handled several major projects as well.

The Pachmayr rings detach from the base by turning the silver retracting knob in the center. That way you can change scopes easily, by having additional upper halves. If you cut the bar, you will be relying the tube alone to provide stability against the pressure of the male and female cones that hold the rings in place when the retracting screw is tightened. You kinda need to have the mount and rings in front of you understand how it works (or a copy of the instructions).

malco
.275 member

Re: Technical question on Pachmayr tip-off mount [Re: KurtC]
      #159010 - 15/04/10 02:16 PM

On a separate note, do you know of a way to use the original Springer-style bases on a factory scoped pre-war rifle in conjunction with a modern glass? (I've posted on this before but so far I've come up empty.) It seems like it should be possible to use the front dovetail to hold a clamp for a rail-mount, with a corresponding clamp attached to the screw on the rear bridge. I'd love to get a better scope on my 1903 for sheer hunting practicality (the original Oigee is pretty primitive), but I'm not willing to alter anything permanently. If you have an idea or suggestion, or even a good argument to leave well enough alone, I'm all ears!

KurtC
.224 member

#159049 - 16/04/10 10:22 AM

You don't have too many options on this side of the puddle, unless you feel like drilling another hole or two. I would suggest you send the factory an e-mail and ask for suggestions. You can find the current shop info at http://www.springer-vienna.com/stores/en/index.php Look under "impressum" for their email address.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2546

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com