Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Regulating" a ML double rifle.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
"Regulating" a ML double rifle.
      #158526 - 08/04/10 09:24 PM

Hi,
I’m reading "The Sporting Rifle and its projectiles." by Lieut. James Forsyth.(1867)
I enjoy the reading a lot.
On reading I read a paragraph very interesting as it is what I found when range testing my Kodiak:

“The only effect of increasing the charge was to lessen the elevation, and make the rifle hit harder; the recoil, of course, increased in proportion. It is of great importance that the sporting rifle should admit of varying charges without affecting its accuracy to any serious extent. This is the case with the spherical ball rifle as properly constructed, but with no other that I am acquainted with. The only effect increase of charge has on this rifle is to make the point-blank range somewhat longer, and to make the rifle hit harder; the accuracy remains unimpaired. If it be a double barrel, and it shoot true with the ordinary charge, an increase will have a slight effect on the shooting of the barrels, making each diverge slightly to Its own side. As such animals are always shot at short distances, this will hardly be perceptible; but some error of this description is unavoidable with double rifles used with varying charges.

This is exactly what I found.
I think that black powder increase recoil more than speed.
All double rifle manuals recommend to lower the charge in order to “uncross the barrels” but this must work only in smokeless loads or black powder very low loads.

Thanks
Martin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: "Regulating" a ML double rifle. [Re: beleg2]
      #158544 - 09/04/10 01:24 AM

That's what I found, Martin. Forsyth knew what he was talking about. My Kodiak .58 crossed badly (1 1/2" at 50 yards) with a light 3 dram charge, but with heavier loads at 4 & 4 1/2 drams, uncrossed to shoot parallel.

Even with the lighter charge, I was easily able to ring the 90 to 110 yard targets with lefts and rights. The X ring on a target that's 14" wide is a big one - easily the kill zone on an elk or moose. With the heavy charges, much smaller targets are easily hit at the longer ranges & this with a gun that received no regulation by the manufacturer - merely joining the barrels and selling it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
Re: "Regulating" a ML double rifle. [Re: DarylS]
      #158556 - 09/04/10 04:11 AM

Hey guys---It has been a while but it is good to be back here!

I have sent a guy over who just bought a Kodiak Double ML and is in need of regulating it and want to use it for PIG hunting. Daryl, I know you are "the man" when it comes to this stuff, so I just wanted to give you a heads up when the "regulating a Kodiak ML double" questions start coming in from a new member...

From my experience I found that to get a black powder double to shoot where I aim it for hunting, I first needed to get the powder weight up and the right ball first, at least up to a level that would be appropriate for the game. I also know that lowering the powder amount to get the barrels to uncross--if it gets below the level for a hard hitting big game load---it makes NO SENSE at all because then you end up with a load where the balls may hit to point of aim but they lack the punch to give you the confidence to use them. Daryl----for a Kodiak Muzzleloader, lets say 50 caliber, what do you think is a starting vicinity of black powder amount for something like a pig hunt. And do you aslo recommend a "hardened" round ball or a regular lead? OR do you think a minnie might be in order?

beleg2
.375 member

Re: "Regulating" a ML double rifle. [Re: Yogi000]
      #158560 - 09/04/10 04:46 AM

Yogi,
To "uncross the barrels" you have to increase recoil by going to a heavier load.
JMHO
Martin

Yogi000
.333 member

#158565 - 09/04/10 05:41 AM

beleg--Indeed. I was asking about a starting load recommendation for a 50 cal Kodiak ML for a friend. He wants to adjust his sights but I said first you need to see where a DECENT AND APPROPRIATE LOAD prints on paper before you start adjusting your sights.

beleg2
.375 member

#158573 - 09/04/10 08:51 AM

Yogi,
I use the only powder I can get, FFFg.
70grains with MaxiHunter (370 gn)
90-100 grains with RB.

But Daryl have much more experience in ML.

Hope this helps.
Martin

Yogi000
.333 member

#158622 - 10/04/10 12:51 AM

beleg---Thanks for the input. I hope my friend is reading this thread. I believe 100 grains of 3F should be his minimal starting point for shooting big long tusked pigs. I am thinking even 50 cal with a hardened round ball may even be a bit light for killing big angry wild pigs... he did say he would be shooting them from a porch with a Coke by his side so it is NOT like he will be out in the bush trying to hunt them while they are in the thick. Still I wonder about a 50 cal round ball and 350 pound pig with big tusks and only a porch railing as a barrier.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#158625 - 10/04/10 01:10 AM

BTW - we are regulating these guns, we are finding a load that will regulate in them. Regulating is what the manufacturer is supposed to do, but doesn't. They align the tubes in a jig and braze them together in an oven - done. No regulation is done - hense the slightly less than $50,000.00 price. With luck, we can usually get round balls to shoot fairly well in them. The 4 Pedersoli double rifles I know of that spread impacts of 12" to 18" at 100 yards, the owners demaned to shoot slugs - mostly minies, but one shot Lee REAL bullets.

I do have years of experience in shooting black powder firearms - most of which was not just plinking, but serious load development in a variety of rifles and smoothbores, from .32 to .75 cal.
For a hunting load - pigs, deer & black bear, per se' for the .50, I'd not shoot les than 90gr. 2F - 80gr. of 3F. 2 F will allow heavier charges giving higher velocities than 3F will, due to 2f's lower pressure development at equal velocity.
The muzzles MUST be re-crowned - as received, they are not suitable for loading a patched round ball. I shoot nothing but round balls as they actually regulate easier than slugs, penetrate quite well enough for killing anything on this continent, shoot flatter and are generally more accurate as well.
Bare or plastic jacketed slugs are not good for double guns. Upon firing the first barrel, the slug in the other barrel is jarred forward by the recoil, and then could become an obstruction in the second barrel, not a projectile.
Use only cloth patched projectiles.
I would use a .490" or .495" ball and a .025" or .020" denim or ticking patch. Do not use store bought patches - they are not the thickness shown on the package- usually they are up to .003" thinner than indicated.

Do not use bore butter as lube. It is wintegreen flavoured chap stick.
Use Neetsfoot oil (not compound), Mink Oil as sold by trackofthewolf, or other vegetable or animal oil(bear or marmot grease).

1st a all, I'd remove one rear sight. I would chamfer and polish the crown using my thumb and a piece of 320 emery cloth.

I personally would start with 90gr. 2f, or 80gr. 3F a .020" or .022" patch and a .495" ball, lubed with neetsfoot oil or mink oil. I would shoot at 30 yards - only the right barrel at first to establish a point of impact, then move back to 50 yards, repeating shooting the right barrel. I'd increase the charge 5 gr. each 5 shot test - still right barrel.
Make certain the gun is level - not canted. That will really throw elevation into the groups.
After testing for group size at 50 yards, right up to 120gr. of 2F in the right barrel, I'd repeat the testing, only shoot the left barrel.

You can superpose the left targets with the right targets to see shot orientation and how they regulate with sucessive loadings.

I do not consider having 2 separate charges as being useable. I want the barrels to shoot well enough for consistant hits at 100 to 125 yards using one set of sights. Some guns just won't do this. Some will. The whole Idea of this sort of testing is to see if the gun will work. If it doesn't, I'd sell it.

Slugs are for slug guns - the muzzleloading double rifle is not a slug gun - it is a round ball gun.

We found out many years ago, that a .50 round ball killed moose well and quickly, whereas slugs from the same slow 48" twist guns did not kill well at all and could not even be trusted to travel in a straight line after impact.

48" is a round ball twist, not a slug twist, nor a combination twist. Calling it either slug or combination twist is merely typical lying advertizing.

--------------------
Daryl

Edited by Daryl_S (10/04/10 01:14 AM)

Yogi000
.333 member

#158626 - 10/04/10 01:17 AM

daryl---Thanks. I had confidence you'd come through on this 50 Cal Muzzle Loading KODIAK question.

One clarification-- you wrote--after testing for group size go up to 120 grain of 2F... I take this as 120 grain of 2F under a .490 or .495 round ball is a good hunting load (for big ugly 300pound + wild pigs, etc)?

beleg2
.375 member

#158627 - 10/04/10 01:42 AM

Yogi,
Think it this way: a .50 ball at close to 2000 fps is similar to a .30-30 Win..

Daryl,
Most new Kodiaks are indeed "slug guns".
Check Pedersoli site: http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/?item=ArmiCategoriaDettaglio&CategoriaId=247&lang=en

I think old 50 rifles were 1-48" but new ones are 1-24"
I bought a .50 barrel by Pedersoli 1-24" from a friend, his accurate load was 70 grains of 3F and RB.

Hope this helps.
Martin

Yogi000
.333 member

#158628 - 10/04/10 01:44 AM

Also---It appears the twist rate for the Kodiak 50 caliber double is 1:24

I assume this will have additional impact on your sage advise.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#158658 - 10/04/10 09:21 AM

I would measure it. I would/will have nothing to do with a slug-twist double barreled muzzleloading rifle due to the moving projectile (in the other barrel) problem.

I meant to work up loads from 90 2F to 120 2F in 5 gr. increments - in 48" or slower twists.

I can see a 24" shooting accurately with round ball for shot ranges with lighter charges, but 24" is a slug twist and will/should have shallow rifling.

--------------------
Daryl

Yogi000
.333 member

#158825 - 12/04/10 11:06 PM

Yes I agree, round ball only in a double muzzle loader due to the pipe bomb potential in the second barrel after the first has been fired and dislodged the minnie (projectile) in the second barrel.

I would really like to see what he can get with a hardened round ball and loading her up with 2F powder to see what distances he can get his double barrel to converge.

beleg2
.375 member

#158844 - 13/04/10 04:18 AM

Yogi,
FWIW:
I have shot more than a hundred REALs from my Kodiak without problem.
I never get left berrel bullet move as long As I can say.
I hear that Pedersoli recomend REALs for the .58.
I also tryed Minies without lb bullet crawling.
It is a posibility but it never happens to me.

Martin

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#158854 - 13/04/10 09:12 AM

Happened to my buddy who was shooting REAL bullets. He was shooting something like 120gr., checked the left barrel upon my instance after firing 2 sucessive shots from the right barrel, and found the bullet had moved forward 1/2" or so. The reason we did this test, was to show that to shoot at a moose, then reload, follow up the moose, he'd be shooting the right barrel first again, then the left if needed. Finding that the left barrel's bullet had become an obstroction was enough to make him switch to patched round balls - that and the better accuracy he got from round balls. I now have that gun, and it regulates with 100 and 110gr. 2F with .562" and .570" round balls - whichever are handy.

This is the reason I've not tried any slugs in my 'new' .58 DR.

As far as recommendations from the manufacturer, Savage sells a smokeless powder, bolt actioned inline muzzleloading rifle and recommends some smokeless powder loads for it.
There have now been quite a few that have blown up. Go figure.

Of course, the manfacturer can claim their directions weren't followed or loads were exceeded - no way to prove either way. Go figure.

I wouldn't do it in any double, and refuse to do it in a single as long as the round ball comes out superior or equal in every way - which it has - generally superior.

It wasn't until fixed ammo could be loaded in the breech, that hardened slugs could be used. At that time, they started out penetrating round balls and showed some superiority in absolute penetration - which was rarely needed. One simple goes to a larger bore, shooting a larger, heavier ball that penetrates more deeply.

Slugs eventually foul the bore with powder fouling, and quite often with lead fouling. Round balls with cloth patches do neither- as long as they are loaded to the 'perscription' which works in all muzzleloading rifles with descent bores.

--------------------
Daryl

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #158897 - 13/04/10 10:14 PM

Quote:

As far as recommendations from the manufacturer, Savage sells a smokeless powder, bolt actioned inline muzzleloading rifle and recommends some smokeless powder loads for it.
There have now been quite a few that have blown up. Go figure.

Maybe the shooters measured it by how much fitted in the palms of their hands - and some had bigger palms

Yogi000
.333 member

Re: "Regulating" a ML double rifle. [Re: Paul]
      #158912 - 14/04/10 03:56 AM

From my prior work I would guesstimate that 100 to 105 grains of 2F under a .490 hardened round ball will achieve what my friend is looking for with his 50 cal muzzle loading double barrel Kodiak with a 1:24 twist: killing power of big pigs and point of aim at 50 yards.

Yogi000
.333 member

#158958 - 15/04/10 12:16 AM

Ahaaaa! I just found out that 1:24 twist may actually be a 1;48 twist!!! That would be better for sure... I hope to get a confirmation on this from my friend soon on the actual twist rate of his 50 cal Kodiak.

By the way, I was investigating the Kodiak Safari Express double rifle muzzleloader by Pedersoli and it is a .720 caliber and it is a 1:75 twist!!! Just as you contend, Daryl, if you want to go for the big nasty ugly game, increase your bore size and go with a bigger Round Ball!

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#158965 - 15/04/10 01:26 AM

Yogi- the 48" twist does sound better. I wonder if he measured 1/2 rotation at 24" and reported that as being the twist, rather than doubling it for the true twist.

If indeed a 24" twist, I have very doubtful it will allow 100gr. of powder without stripping. The combination used would have to be very tight indeed, a .495" ball and .025" to .028" patch - more guys cannot load that tight a combination and certainly not without a serious re-crowing of the muzzles.

Most 48" twist shallow rifling .50's I am/was familiar with are happy with, allowed up to about 90/100gr. 2F and gave good accuracy. We were using very tight ball/patch combinations, .495" balls and .022" denim. Shooters today, seem stymied with the combinations we used and claim they can't do it - Oh well.

100gr. of 2F should deliver about 1,800fps to 1,850 which is in the upper range of speeds attainable and about right for most hunting with a .50.

A 75" twist in 12 bore would be perfect for round balls, yet owners of these guns are still looking at slugs for some reason. A round ball, cast soft or of harder lead is much superior to any slug in a ML of that bore size. Slugs show such enormous elevation needed to hit at 100 yards as to make hitting at closer range difficult. Recoil and safety is the stopper when shooting something heavier than round balls.

In calibres this size, it is difficult to get speeds of over 1,400fps - chronographs are the lie detectors here. While pressures are actually very low in the big bores, recoil rears it's ugly head and is hard on stocks & locks too. It takes about 150gr. 2F (5 1/2 drams) just to get 1,350 to 1,375fps in a 12 bore gun. That duplicates W.W.Greener's listed intermediate 'African' load for ctg. 12 bore rifles. The 7 dram (190gr.) load, which gave about 1,500 to 1,550fps with round ball was reserved for very heavy guns of 10 to 12 pounds. Closer to 1890, these loads were apparently increased yet again for the 13 to 15 pound 12 bores to 9 drams(248gr.), still for round ball, I believe, to obtain 1,750fps. This is the speed I achieved in my 9 1/2 pound 14 bore ML rifle with identical loading. That kicks, BTW.

I would not, under any circumstances try that in a Pedersoli 12 bore double. The barrels would probably come off the stock to smack you while driving the tang through your head via an eye socket - either way, you wouldn't like the effect - if you lived, that is.

--------------------
Daryl

Yogi000
.333 member

#158969 - 15/04/10 02:11 AM

Daryl---Sound advise and clearly based on experience coupled with reasoning. 1850 fps with his 50 cal using a hardened round ball would certainly be a penetrating and high impacting hunting load. I would think it would be stout pig hunting load. Especially from a porch.

BTW I am still intending to work up a round ball load for my double barreled 12 gauge smoothie, modern, 3" chambered shotgun. Something about this big ole .724" round 'punkin balls that just makes sense for dangerous game hunting! Especially when you've got TWO barrels to work with!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10502

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com