Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cabela's African Safaris? Any Good?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
anchoryanker
.224 member

Reged: 14/06/04
Cabela's African Safaris? Any Good?
      #15796 - 14/06/04 01:06 AM

Does anyone know how good the African hunting packages offered through Cabela's are? I would like to go to Zimbabwe, Tanzania, or maybe South Africa and take a Cape Buffalo and some plains game. I've never been to Africa and am looking forward to going and don't want a bad experience. I understand that I'm gonna spend a good bit of money and was attracted to them mainly by their low prices, but if its not worth it i'll go somewhere else. any advice will be appreciated.
thanks
Edgar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Cabela's African Safaris? Any Good? [Re: anchoryanker]
      #15800 - 14/06/04 03:38 AM

It would be wrong of me to comment on the operation of my competitors.......but I will say this. If you're planning to go in 2005 or beyond I would strongly advise you avoid Zimbabwe. The political situation is getting worse by the day. Zim used to be a wonderful country, and there are still some good and safe areas, but hunting there is becoming riskier.

If you choose Tanzania then you need to make sure that you will be hunting in one of reserves such as Masailand or Selous and not in a buffer zone. There are always cheap deals available, but cheap is cheap and it is advisable not to use price as the deciding criteria if at all possible.

good luck in your search.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

anchoryanker
.224 member

Reged: 14/06/04
Re: Cabela's African Safaris? Any Good? [Re: shakari]
      #15801 - 14/06/04 04:09 AM

Thanks for replying. I would like to take a buff and several plains game, (I haven't decided exactly what yet) A low price is great, But not at the expense of quality. I would like to maybe spend 10-12 grand, not including airfare. Is this reasonable, or do I need to raise my target price?

shakari
.400 member

#15804 - 14/06/04 05:54 AM

You're certainly in the ballpark. If you would like to send me an e-mail, I'll be happy to send you full prices and details of how to work out an exact budget for your entire safari.

One way to save money is to have an early or late season hunt......this is especially a good idea in the Selous where even at that time of year you would expect to see and hunt into herd of up to 80 or 100 Buffalo......in the peak of the season you can expect herds of up to 1000 Buffalo.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #15811 - 14/06/04 10:37 AM

Just a few general comments: I'm usually not one to yell "the sky is falling", however, all that is going on in Zimbabwe currently has me concerned about personal safety. Now any P.H. worth his salt will do his utmost to keep you out of trouble and safe. But, sometimes s... does happen. I,personally, am avoiding Zim.for the forseeable future.

Excellent Cape Buffalo can be had in South Africa, but....in my humble opinion it's not a true wilderness buffalo hunt. And buffalo in RSA are quite expensive....figure a trophy fee in the range of $9500.00 to $14,000.00.

Tanzania has excellent buffalo in some areas-do your homework. There are also some excellent Cape Buffalo packages to be had there. The concessions are large, and you won't run into fences. It's as close to old time hunting as one can get.

Cabela's does offer some attractive hunts, but as with anyone, you've got to ask the right questions. Some areas are better at certain times of the year...too early in some areas, and the grass is too high and too green to be burned off.

Shikari, from what I've heard, also has some excellent hunts, but again, ask questions, and no matter who you consider hunting with, ask for references. I always ask for a list of every hunter from the previous year, and the current year. If the list seems too short, that might be a red flag. Contact every reference!!! A phone bill of one or two hundred dollars and time spent on the computer emailing people is well worth it when you're going to be plopping down a big chunk of your hard earned money. Good luck in your plans and future hunt.

shakari
.400 member

Re: Cabela's African Safaris? Any Good? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #15814 - 14/06/04 02:58 PM

Mike is absolutely correct in what he says. Another thing to look at VERY carefully is what is and what is not included in the price quoted for your safari. We include all of the ancilliary charges such as dip & pack, charters, licences, permits, rifle import fee, conservation fee etc etc.......but many companies do not, and what at first may appear a good deal is not quite so good when you get to the bottom line.

You also need to find out exactly where you will be hunting. Tanzania for example has fabulous hunting in most parts of the game reserves such as the Selous, but they also have buffer zones on the edges, most of which are a complete waste of time and money.

Also check who will be your PH......some are better than others (especially in RSA) and get all this specified in a safari contract before you part with any money.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 304 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1744

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com