Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears
      #157950 - 31/03/10 07:20 PM

I'm interested in learning more about hunting bears - black, brown, or grizzly.

Have you hunted them? How much do they cost to hunt and where?

I've read stories and articles about hunting them, but am keen to hear more direct from guys and gals (Ann?) whom have hunted them.

With blacks I understand they are eaten. What do they taste like? Similar to venison? Are browns and grizzlys eaten?

Thanks in advance.

And photos too, if you have got them. Also load them up on the bear photos thread!

My enquiry is out of interest and perhaps looking to hunt them in a year as soon as I can.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears [Re: NitroX]
      #158000 - 01/04/10 11:20 AM

Mmmm, a favorite subject of mine. More later....

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
      #158010 - 01/04/10 02:46 PM

I have bit of experiance with black bears, not as much as some I'm sure, but a pretty good bit.
One of the things to look at is what type of hunt you would like to do, over bait, spot & stalk, running with dogs etc and time of year (spring or fall). I think they all can have their good points, personally I've hunted over bait, in Ontario Canada (mid '70's) and Colorado (late '70s). And in Montana it's spot and stalk, also sitting and watching spots that are good (no baiting though). I haven't hunted them behind dogs.

They can be a fun critter to hunt. Although they're certainly capable of shortening your lifespan, and there are numerous cases of attacks, I don't think they're that bad (besides I'm the one with the gun and thumbs) but do deserve a bit of respect and common sense. Some folks come out here just half scared shit-less to start with and they're more a danger than the bears. Alot in this country are shot with .270 I prefer 30-06 and above. A big boar is very muscular and it helps to have something that'll go through shoulders without coming undone.

If you decide on hunting over bait in spring time, I'd highly recommend a fine mesh head net. mosquitos and biting flies are bad enough but no-see-ums are hell's own special treat. For hunting out here in the Rockies, good boots.

The meat I think can be great eating. I like it in a roast, cooked lowish (325) heat for a few (about 4)hours. A bit of dry onion soup mix, maybe a can of Golden Mushroom soup on top, makes a great gravy and the meat is so tender you can cut it with the serving spoon. I'm of the school of thought that bear meat should be cooked thoroughly. I'd liken it more to roast beef. Like most game how it's taken care of matters a lot.

Our spring season starts here 4/15 and the wife wants to go for her first so maybe we'll have some pictures. The owner (a 69 yr. old woman) of the place we'll be going would be thrilled too have a couple get killed. There's been a couple of times she's invoked (at the top of her lungs) the Name and Wrath of the Lord on em to chase them away. So far it's worked. (but she does want me to pick out a gun for her too)

Edited by 450_EXPRESS (01/04/10 03:03 PM)

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #158012 - 01/04/10 04:08 PM

One word of caution: bears, like swine, are subject to trichinosis, and the meat should be thoroughly cooked before eating. Several fatal cases of trichinosis in humans in the recent past have been linked to ingesting undercooked bear meat.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears [Re: xausa]
      #158025 - 01/04/10 11:04 PM

My most recent bear, from northern Quebec. It was a 245 pound boar.

I have killed three black bears so far. All have been good meat, and yes, cook it thoroughly. Here is a video link to the above bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrZG0dyJLtQ

Or on mp4 file:
AnnsBlackBearArcheryHunt.mp4

Images added to NE Game threads

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

Edited by NitroX (18/07/10 06:38 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears [Re: AspenHill]
      #158031 - 02/04/10 12:47 AM

BLACK BEARS

Thanks for the replies, comments and photos.

Is bear meat low in fat like venison or does it depend on the time of year the bear is taken? If taken before hibernation, higher in fat, than obviously after fasting in hibernation?

When cooking, as it has to be cooked through, do you use bacon or other fat to stop it drying out? Depends I suppose on my first question!

Quote:

One of the things to look at is what type of hunt you would like to do, over bait, spot & stalk, running with dogs etc and time of year (spring or fall). I think they all can have their good points, personally I've hunted over bait, in Ontario Canada (mid '70's) and Colorado (late '70s). And in Montana it's spot and stalk, also sitting and watching spots that are good (no baiting though). I haven't hunted them behind dogs.

So regarding the time of year, ie spring or fall, when would you use which method, ie spot and stalk? Baiting? Dogs?

Can other game be hunted the same time?

What colour variations are there in "black" bear?

A tougher question which some resident hunters may not know, but ... for a foreign visitors, what is required where you hunt or have hunted? ie do you need to use an outfitter etc?

Are tags/permits readily available? I believe black bear are relatively common?

what constitutes a trophy? Size, skull weight, colour, condition?

Ann,

Nice bear.

The only bears I have seen have been in Europe which were actually Indian bears. Never saw one in India however.

Erik did have a permit for one if we bumped into one in the forest last year.

How do you mount your bear trophy? Flat skin with head, full mount, standing or ?

Ann, I have been very interested in your bear hunts every time you post about them.

More please, I'm greedy.

PS I have to interest someone else in visiting the USA, at a time convenient for bear hunting, and maybe also OK for a general holiday. Any times of the year that would be good for both? Spring AND Fall make it easier I think. Fall is more convenient for me, Feb to April is impossible.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #158035 - 02/04/10 01:10 AM

Hunted & shot a lot of black bears. I've never hunted grizzlies, but bump into them periodically while hunting and fishing.
The cubs would go 250 to 300 pounds, which is pretty good for a 2 1/2 year old bear. They were very healthy. Momma would be 600 to 700 I'd guess.

Edited by NitroX (18/07/10 06:30 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#158037 - 02/04/10 01:13 AM

Rifles?

I think my 9.3x74R Tikka sounds the go, or a M98 .30-06. Maybe a .450/400 SxS if I was really lucky.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#158038 - 02/04/10 01:15 AM

Daryl,

Nice pics.

I'm guessing that if the bears move to your side of the river, you give "right of way"?

More interesting fishing you have there, than fishing on the Murray River in Oz.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (02/04/10 01:24 AM)

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
      #158043 - 02/04/10 01:59 AM

Ann, its fantastic to see it on a video. To short though, an hour or so will do.
Daryl, you ought to bring a video camera with you, that looks fantastic.

Sville

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears [Re: Sville]
      #158051 - 02/04/10 05:09 AM

As far as chasing animals goes, I live down in Las Vegas. Plan on stopping by and we'll go up to "The Pink Lady in Beatty, NV, and you can hunt bare.

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
      #158054 - 02/04/10 05:37 AM

Regarding method and time of year, I'd say pretty much the same. Bears, like most things, are stomach and sex driven, (which when it comes full circle is still food driven, ie. boys look for girls, girls are looking for food). In Montana, where we can't legally bait you concentrate on hunting natural food sources, spring go where it's starting to green up and in the fall chokecherries, etc. So vantage points over creek bottoms, southern slopes places like that and where there are winterkills, meat sources are always worth checking out. I've never been on a guided bear hunt, the hunts we did in Ontario were from a fishing camp and we just did the bear hunting on our own in the evenings (killed my first there). I would think a decent outfitter in a good area, that maintains bait stations, would give you very good odds at taking a bear.

Depending on spring or fall and area would determine what other game would be available. For instance here, in spring there may be turkey and fishing. In the fall, with the proper tags, all the big game we have, elk, muledeer and or whitetail, upland birds( various grouse etc.) just to name a few although some are very difficult to draw (moose, bighorn sheep).

For the different color phases of the black, the west is the best. They can range from blond to black here.

I can't speak for other places but in Montana you don't need an outfitter for bears. You can buy just a bear tag after passing a bear ID test which you can take online. If you were to want to come out in the fall, and hunt the other big game as well, then going through an outfitter would be recommended (guaranteed draw on the combination tag). If I remember right, In Ontario you need either hunter safety course or previous hunting license,and in Colorado if born after '49 then hunter safety course.

As for trophy, I feel a good mature boar that's a least 6' (nose to tail) is good. I think the bears to the east probably average heavier than ours here. Our typical sow is only about 150lbs. but a good boar can push 300lbs with a few that'll go more. Myself, after taking a number of them, look for one that'll go the 6' mark and at least in the 250lb range. They can be tricky to judge, but a young bear will look leggy and kind of big eared. A mature boar, like a big barrel on little stumps with a broad nice head.

Most of my bears have been in the late evening, so I like my scope then. Even when things are up close it's just easier for me to see in the dim light with one. I think the 9.3 would do fine and the 450/400 would too. I made a large walrus ivory bead for my 450 (slides over the standard bead as a "night sight") that helps but I still can't push it as late as a scope will let me.

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #158060 - 02/04/10 07:07 AM

maybei can help a bit. black bears are quite common in many states and canada. they will come in color phases from black to white and everywhere inbetween. nominally a black bear hunt is rather inexpensive, say in the 2-5000 range. the costal bears are by far the largest average, but huge ones show up everywhere. not normally aggressive, they are still powerful creatures. hunting them can be from stands, dogs treeing them, spot and stalk etc. one of my favorites is spot and stalk in eith the mountains of the western states or along the coasts of alaska. while hearty animals they do not require a stopping type of rifle, something in the 3006 category is plenty.
grizz and brown bears are actually the same animal, its just the browns live where the salmon run so their diet is protein rich and hence get bigger. Either one is a totally different animal from blackies. i've hunted inland griz from the arctic to heavy forested lands and nowhere are they to be taken lightly. while they will normally run from you, they are unpredictable and have a definate safety zone around them. afraid on nothing, they respect man, but are not afraid of man. as a premier game animal the hunts are expensive ranging from 10-25000. inland griz are generally cheaper than browns. I like to compare them to eles. both are the biggest toughest guys around and if the decide to prove it they will. I use almost exclusively a 375 for these guys. spot and stalk are the usual methods for griz or brownies, but many inland bears are often on mixed bag hunts with sheep, caribou and or moose. They are a most amazing animal, capable of reasoning, extremely fast and powerful. like eles i've watched griz push over trees just for something to do. the reach full speed on the first step. in all cases a bears eyesight isn't the best, although they do see movement rather well. their ears are sharp, but they may or may not pay attention to them, but that big old nose.One sniff and they have all the answers. On a scale of 1-10 it is said man is 1 bloodhound is 3 and bear is 9. most fascinating creatures, i believe that i could be happy doing nothing else but watching them forever

controlled_feed
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #158095 - 02/04/10 03:45 PM

Here are some pics of my interior grizz from AK. Looks a million bucks in reasl life, but couldn't get a decent photo.

CF

--------------------
I was born 100 years too late

Edited by NitroX (18/07/10 06:29 AM)

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears [Re: controlled_feed]
      #158177 - 04/04/10 12:34 AM

John,

In my area spring is king for blackies. I find the best time is the last week of May into mid June so that might fit your schedule. I have two outfits with in a days drive so it is convenient for out of state, out of country folks to come to my house and split travel from here.

Eastern black bears live in pretty thick, tangly country with very difficult, boggy footing so stalking is not a very good option. You would have too much tangle to even shoot through if you were lucky enough to even come across a bear that didn't already know you were coming. Highly unlikely, they are VERY keen. The swamps and lowland forests are vast and it is a very unpopulated area and easy to get lost in. Baited stands and ground blinds are the method used here. The nice thing about them is you can often watch many bears over your week if you care to.

In the west stalking works better as it is much dryer country. Not here.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting Black, Brown and Grizzly bears [Re: AspenHill]
      #164534 - 19/07/10 07:20 PM

Ann, A belated thanks for the information.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
      #164607 - 20/07/10 02:54 PM

Limited experience- I've only done this once. Did an August black bear hunt in New Mexico for a great price ($1,500 in 2003) and ended up taking a record book bear. Outfitter offered the choice of spot & stalk or running dogs, and I chose spot & stalk on horseback. Literally rode into the bear and all hell broke loose when I was trying to dismount, clear the saddle with the rifle, chamber a round, and shoot the bear while my horse was going apeshit.

Definitely my most memorable hunt to date.

That time of year the coat was thin, but he still made a great rug. Unfortunately I can't comment on table fare as the meat ruined on our 4-mile race back down the mountain to camp...we really got lucky that the hair didn't slip too since we had to spend one more night there before packing out 4 - 5 hours the next day (horses & foot traffic are all that's allowed in wilderness areas).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4167

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com