Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Swinburne rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
Swinburne rifle
      #157110 - 22/03/10 10:51 AM

Ant thoughts on the Swinburne 577-450 rifle on Joe Salter's web? Looks like a beautiful rifle.
http://www.joesalter.com #12728

Edited by FrankFarmer (22/03/10 11:40 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Swinburne rifle [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #157162 - 23/03/10 12:11 AM

Nice looking rifle.

I shot a Swinburn regularly while living in South Africa.

The only fault is the lack of repair parts. The South Africans say the rifle is prone to breakage. When I asked what breaks they didn't know. The only broken Swinburn I saw was one that had the side lever broke off. Repair of various types had be tried and failed. I was able to find a replacement side lever.

The other problem reported with Swinburn was they could not be made to shoot very accurately. I can vouch for that.

Now with all this negativity you would think I am down on Swinburns. Let me say this, if I were not retired and living on a fixed income, I be after this rifle in heart beat!!!

Get it if you can!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Re: Swinburne rifle [Re: DoubleD]
      #157192 - 23/03/10 01:33 PM

Thank you Sir, well said. Thank you for your input, I can't find very much on these rifles.

Edited by FrankFarmer (23/03/10 01:35 PM)

belgmart
.275 member

Reged: 29/02/04
Re: Swinburne rifle [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #157343 - 24/03/10 10:14 PM

More information? here the original patent information: Swinburn patent . I have 2 of these - 1 is a basket case, needing to be resurrected. The other is a sporting rifles with all the bells and whistles in 577-450. I don't shoot it all that much, though. That's the one the new cocking lever DoubleD mentioned went on.
A nice Martini variant, but conceptually and technically inferior to the real thing - especially the extractor is a real Rube Goldberg contraption...
Still, a nice rifle to have in its own right. And much rarer too.

--------------------
Martini's Rule!

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
Re: Swinburne rifle [Re: belgmart]
      #157544 - 26/03/10 08:51 PM

Hmmmm I used to have a Swinburn sporting Martini in 577/450 but cannot recall the extractor however I don't recall it lookign weak!. As for inaccurate ................. Hmmm I didn't notice that either. Mine did shoot high until I discovered that the ivory bead had been broken off. The entire foresight blade and bead was made from Ivory. Luckily a piano restorer gave me a small piece of new Ivory and I managed to make a new foresight insert up. The rifle had "Battaue" sights in that the rear sight was a pyramid with two ivory triangles inset into the face with the usual stand for 100 yards and foldign leaves for 200 & 300 yards with a ladder sight for 400-800 yards if memory serves me correctly.

On Bisleys old Shorts range (200 yards) once a load was found that regulated to the sights Deer huntign with it would not have been a problem the bulelts were 480 grain lead Paper Patched using FO Triangle Black Powder. I wud need to look up my notes for the charge etc.
I traded the rifle with a friend as it had been restored and re-blued and I wanted one in more original condition but have never found another. Those at auction tend to bbeyond my mearge means Here are the few photos that i have of it:-

That shows the new Ivory Blad/bead that was made up

It was purchased at the same time as the Wm Powell retailed BSA sporting rifle shown along side.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

belgmart
.275 member

Reged: 29/02/04
Re: Swinburne rifle [Re: Brithunter]
      #157565 - 27/03/10 02:21 AM

I never said the extractor was weak - just inefficient, almost no primary extraction and lots to go wrong with a bit of crud. Just take a look at the patent link I posted. It certainly is much less efficient than the martini extractor. here some pics of my Swinburne:

It works with a V-spring poweringa massive internal hammer, apparently the firing pin was a bit delicate (the other rifle has a replaced firing pin). The extractor is lever-actuated, through a sliding extension on the bottom of the trigger guard, which pushes against the extractor proper - maybe not an issue with modern drawn brass, but with a sticky case, you need a rod to get the case out... Lots of lost power in the power transfer from lever to extractor.

This one is original finish, with all the bells and whistles - checkering, barrel ribs, wiping stick, engraving, rear express sights, windage adjustable front, patchbox... Even the trigger and lever are checkered, and it has a trigger stop.

--------------------
Martini's Rule!

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Re: Swinburne rifle [Re: belgmart]
      #157608 - 27/03/10 11:16 AM

Thank you all very much, your information and experience is greatly appreciated.
Have any of the large British makers used the Swinburne Action for their rifles?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7458

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com