Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: February Musk Ox Hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
577500WR
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: Anchorage, AK
February Musk Ox Hunt
      #156535 - 15/03/10 02:06 PM

I drew a tag for Musk Ox and obtained a subsistence tag for my son. The tag he had requires that the trophy value be destroyed, which was a real disappointment for him. I have to apologize as I took my Musk Ox with a bow and Arrow...not a double rifle. Seamus is a more modern boy of 13 years. He wanted to hunt with an AR-15. I had him practicing with a 458 Socom upper and he diid really well. Note to self, wrap the gun in some fabric so the metal does not burn his hands in extremely cold weather.

We hunted out of Shishmaref Alaska and when we left on snow machines it was minus 31F and calm. It was minus 36F with wind when we returned. I have a few spots on my face that have peeled and discolored from frost bite. The worst was my left eyelid. My with says it looks like I have on eye shadow. I kept junior safe and he came back with only big tales to tell and no frost bite.

Enjoy the pictures!

This is my son Seamus all bundled up trying to stay warm with his bull.

This is Seamus and I with my bull.

This is a very proud boy with his first big game animal.

This is my bull, a lot of sun in the background to apologize for, and a red mass of frozen blood bubbles. The black spot in the center is where I stuck my finger in just to be sure it was completely frozen. It looked like the inside of an elongated pomegranate.

577500WR (Matt)

Edited by NitroX (16/03/10 05:41 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: February Musk Ox Hunt [Re: 577500WR]
      #156544 - 15/03/10 03:00 PM

Way to go Matt!!!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: February Musk Ox Hunt [Re: AkMike]
      #156706 - 17/03/10 01:50 AM

Very nice - what an adventure! What outfitter did you use? Any more details?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #156709 - 17/03/10 02:04 AM

Wonderful!

But damn it looks too cold for a thin blooded Aussie.

Congratulations to both of you.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: February Musk Ox Hunt [Re: NitroX]
      #156761 - 17/03/10 02:42 PM

tell you what if i can get any extra tags this season for gators i will take your son out all you have to do is get here i will put you up in my house and take you and your son out you can fiil i ave all the gear.it all depends an if i get the tags though.......will know around june.season is 08-15 till 11-1.......and he can keep it all my treat hes a good hunter

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: February Musk Ox Hunt [Re: bwananelson]
      #156770 - 17/03/10 03:46 PM

Now that's a wonderful offer Nelson!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: February Musk Ox Hunt [Re: AkMike]
      #156784 - 17/03/10 10:21 PM

looks like a great adventure!common recommendation for bolt action in such low temperature is to remove all oil completely. what's with the semi auto?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

577500WR
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: Anchorage, AK
Re: February Musk Ox Hunt [Re: lancaster]
      #156835 - 18/03/10 08:51 AM

Hi Lancaster,

The deal with the semi auto is that he is really into military weapons. My preference would have been for him to use a bow, a double rifle, or a pistol...in that order. I figure if I want to get him into hunting in a big way I have to let him do it his way for the most part.

He also needed a larger caliber- slow velocity but not more speed. I wanted to be sure if he shot an ox it would be only one at a time wihtout a pass through. He practiced with that caliber and was very comfortable with it from the get go. He just wanted to see me shoot it then he pretty much insisted I let him shoot. I think he and I are doing it right as he is chomping at the bit to hunt and shoot.

BTW, I am taking my daughter to Africa for her first hunt...it will be a bow hunt. I want both of them to have memorable times in the field and look back on it as an introduction to a way of life that strongly connects them to what they eat and how they live. It also teaches them that they truly are responsible for their actions.

BwanaNelson, thanks for extending such a gracious offer. I do not think he would turn it down...just need to get his school schedule squared away.

Cheers,

577500WR
Matt

--------------------
Most folks nowadays think talking about guns is a perversity. I view the old guns as being a record of the industrial revolution transforming the ordinary into high art and functionality.

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
      #156838 - 18/03/10 09:51 AM

my pleasure,if dates change or i can arrange something with a nuisance trapper and let him know what the situation is they can hunt in the summer so he may still get a chance.let me know how to do this hunt for musk ox a web site or more info i have been wanting a musk ox for awhile.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: February Musk Ox Hunt [Re: bwananelson]
      #156841 - 18/03/10 10:13 AM

For someone like myself who lives on the edge of the Outback of Australia, that is a truely amazing hunt. With a bow as well. I think your young bloke is fantastic to want to hunt with you. It doesn't matter what he uses at all. He is out there, with you his father doing what we have done with our sons for hundreds of thousands of years.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3074

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com