Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cleaning and Caring for a double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Cleaning and Caring for a double
      #15544 - 05/06/04 05:15 AM

I have a new merkel double rifle. How should one go about cleaning and lubricating the rifle after shoting?

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Cleaning and Caring for a double [Re: bonanza]
      #15607 - 08/06/04 02:51 AM

BONANZA , It seems nobody is going to answer your question, so I'll give it a go!

I own a couple of Merkels, and they are usually very tight when new, and seem hard to open and close. This is normal for a new double, and is not a worry, and will loosen up with use!

The first thing you need to do with a new Double rifle is clean all the factory oil off the surfaces, and out of the bore, and chambers before fireing it! Do this by simply wipeing it off, and swabbing the bore out!

The products you need for the care and feeding of a double rifle are: plain old Hoppi's No9 solvent, a can of Rem oil, a jar of vasaline, and in the case of Case colored action like the Merkels, a small bottle of case color varnish, which you won't need for some time.

The rifle should be wiped down after every session on the range, or handleing, to avoid finger rust. The Rem oil should not be sprayed dirrectly on the action, but applied lightly by spraying a little on a soft rag, and on a lightly oiled patch through the bore before storing. The Vasaline is applied to the clean sides, and hook/henge pin area of the lumps, and is the only lub that should always be on the rifle when either stored, or in use. The vasaline should be replaced every time after a use. wipe the old off, and re-apply, every time! The Vasaline is very important, because of all the rifles that "SHOOT OFF FACE" most are caused by wear in the hook/hengepin, and lump engagement area, not from over loads. There is a reason all those old OAK & LEATHER cases had a Vasaline jar as part of the things that came with the rifle. Hope any of this helps you get off on the right foot!

What chambering did you get in your new Merkel? If you have any other questions on the double rifle, I will do what I can to help, either on forum, or by E-mail! There are many here, and at ACCURATE RELOADING, who have lots of experience with doubles, both rifles, as well as fine shotguns, that will be willing to help!

Welcome to the wacky world of double rifles!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Cleaning and Caring for a double [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #15609 - 08/06/04 03:24 AM

Dugaboy,

I have the 140-2 in 375 H&H. Yep, it's tight. I did clean the gun as you suggested, but have used briley grease (special grease for break action guns) on all the bearing surfaces. I wipe down the extierior with a silicon cloth swipe the bores after every 10 rounds with bore cleaner. I usually don't break it down after each session, but will now.
I flinch, so I've worked up some low pressure, low heat loads for practice shooting. Recoil is very mild. I also bought some snap caps and practice with them regularly.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1973

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com