Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game.
      #148203 - 17/12/09 01:44 PM

I have a pristine 1978 Ruger No. 1 .458 Win mag and was wondering, that with a professional hunter by my side, could I hunt a cape buffalo with the No. 1?

I know that he would very likely put another bullet in almost right away.

My old Hollis 500/450 NE hammer double seems a bit fragile for africa, where as the No, is extremely reliable.

B.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: bonanza]
      #148211 - 17/12/09 02:19 PM

Stick 2 spare rounds between the fingers of your front hand and you can get back up shots off almost as fast as a bolt gun. I run a Ruger#1 in our clubs tactical comps at 200 yds. 10 shots in 30 seconds. It is a bit of a rush but I don't lose often.

Regards

PS. He shouldent put a shot in right away unless his name is Sullivan. Its your damm buff and unless there is direct danger to you, him or the trackers he should keep his finger well away from the trigger unless he wants to pay the trophy fee.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: Bramble]
      #148233 - 17/12/09 11:56 PM

Bramble,

That is what I thought. I can get a round in pretty fast.

I agree, unless anyone is in immediate danger, like "Right Now!" I'll be ready for the second shot in about 4 seconds.

I'm a lefty and CFR rifles are very expensive. My options are push feed, double or a uber reliable $800 Ruger H-1 tropical.

So for my "safari"

I'd be happy to take my LH Rem 700 .375 H&H and a Ruger H-1 .458 WM as a 2 gun battery. Each with a QD scope.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: bonanza]
      #148260 - 18/12/09 04:22 AM

Bonanza, you are like my clone! I too am a lefty and owned that exact Ruger #1 Tropical .458 win mag for several years and actually used it to hunt an American buffalo (bison). I then sold it and later bought the Ruger #1 Tropical in stainless in the .458 Lott. I shot another bison with it and it did the job nicely. Then, one day, while I was at the local gun shop I came accross a Browning A-bolt in LH in .375 H&H. Yes, I bought it and later sold the Lott (I was just nervous that when I do hunt my African buff, that I may not be able to get the second round in quick enough). Both guns were really nice though, and I really enjoyed them.
The scope that I had on the Lott was the Leupold VX-3 1.5 - 5 x 20. An amazing scope, and it worked better than the Zeiss Conquest at about half the price too! I really don't know if I like my .375 too much. I took it out elk hunting a couple of years ago and then again last month and both times had a heck of a time getting my elk with it. Not too impressed. Good luck! Christopher

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: crkennedy1]
      #148328 - 19/12/09 03:37 AM

In 2004, my 18 year old (at the time) son and I took a cape buffalo each in Zim with a stailess No. 1 in .405 using cast bullets and open sights. No problems and I wouldnt hesitate to do it again, except next time I'd use 1 or both of my my 450-400s.....single and or double :-)

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: degoins]
      #148330 - 19/12/09 03:57 AM

If not using a double, a falling block single would be my next choice for buffalo.
It will force one to make a clean first shot, but thats should always be the case.

Go for it.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: 450_366]
      #148331 - 19/12/09 04:07 AM

Quote:

If not using a double, a falling block single would be my next choice for buffalo.
It will force one to make a clean first shot, but that should always be the case.

I know this is off topic, but this observation is one I have made about the use of muzzleloading rifles in populated areas. Many people believe that muzzleloading rifles are inherently safer because of ballistics. In my opinion, the real safety benefit comes from more careful placement of the shot, because there won’t be a follow-up shot. A bullet in a deer won’t harm a person a half-mile away, even if it passes through and through.

I can’t say how many times I’ve heard a statement like “I emptied the magazine as fast as I could work the bolt. I can’t understand how I missed.” Well, I would have been surprised had he not missed. It doesn’t happen that way as often with muzzleloading rifles.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: Tatume]
      #148332 - 19/12/09 04:50 AM

B - it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to use a good single shot for dangerous game. YOu will have a PH close at hand if you flub - BUT - one who shoots enough single shots, virtually makes a perfect shot first time, every time. It is those who rely on having a 'magazine full' who screw up.

There are times when something goes wrong, but those wrongs are usually accompanied by a magazine rifle. imho, of course.

I'd like nothing better than to hunt Africa or India with my 14 bore Sporting rifle. Recoil is low enough that I am assured of perfect accuracy within the rifles effective range.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bestboss
.224 member

Reged: 21/10/08
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: DarylS]
      #152013 - 27/01/10 12:31 PM

There is a mindset, associated with using the single shot rifles. I started on a single shot when still about 3 feet tall. It has been a life long friendship, one shot at a time. Even my beloved leverguns, do not hold the importance of each and every shot from a single.
I also have a 458 Tropical. It gets a bit of use and while I have no immediate buff plans, I am confident in it's abilities.
Larry

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: Bestboss]
      #152074 - 28/01/10 10:06 AM

I took a Cape Buf in Zimbabwe in 2006 with a #1 in 458 Lott. The animal went 125 yards with two .45 holes through its heart. It was stone dead when the bullet hit. The bullet was a Hornady 500-gr. solid and I use it as a paperweight. I have had some surgery on my left shoulder so I had to part with the Lott. I now have a #1 in .375 H&H. I'd use it on anything.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: poprivit]
      #152079 - 28/01/10 01:06 PM

As an FYI..

There is a pretty good article on this topic on the Feb 2010 issue of GUNS AND AMMO written by Boddington. Good article...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: Ripp]
      #152134 - 29/01/10 12:31 PM

John Taylor used a sporter Martini Henry for a while when he 'lost' his other guns. the load - 85gr. 1F and a 480gr. paper patched bullet in an oversized bore.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
Re: Ruger No. 1 for dangerous game. [Re: DarylS]
      #154848 - 26/02/10 07:17 AM

As a client you will always have the ph there to back you up. Because of this you could use any weapon as ph is going to ultimately stop a charge. So why worry about. Now if I was hunting for real, I would carry only a big bore double for stuff that bites back. Personnally I would carry a .577 ne or larger.

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9474

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com