Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Turkish Mauser differences?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
375BSA
.224 member

Reged: 08/02/10
Loc: California, USA
Turkish Mauser differences?
      #154771 - 25/02/10 03:24 PM

I have a 1932 Turkish Mauser action with a .375 20" barrel (in an unknown chambering) on its way. I'm hoping it's .375 H&H, but we'll see on arrival. It's the action and trigger only with no bolt, magazine or any other bits. The guy I'm getting a great stock from, told me he recalled there was something different about the Turk Mausers, but he didn't recall what. Am I in for it in trying to make a rifle out of this? The stock is an older Interarms that he got from a PH in Africa 20 something years ago. It had been a .458, started a small crack that didn't go all the way through and has been professionally repaired, but the PH decided to go the synthetic route. I'm thrilled to have a beautiful piece of older wood! The first thing will be figuring out the chambering and if it isn't .375 H&H: is the action long enough for a rechambering, and can I rechamber the barrel? Only my gunsmith will know for sure when he sees it.

So the big question is, are the Turkish bits different and does anyone know a source?

375BSA

Working with jc5 on the Lee Speed research project. Very interested in contacting exBSA gunsmiths and other employees.

"Recoil is irrelevant when there is a tiger in your howdah." Who is this a quote from?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Turkish Mauser differences? [Re: 375BSA]
      #154791 - 25/02/10 05:55 PM

375BSA,
The turks were one of the most prolific buryers of Mauser action rifles, next to Argentina.
The started with the 1871 a bp 9.3 cartridge designed for the turkish rifles. The used the 1884/71, 1888 commission rifles, 1889 / 1891 actions rifles, 1893, 1898, 1905, then the FN 1922's, 1924s, etc.
Most of these, up to the FN 1922 were originally chambered in 7.65x53 Mauser. In the 1930,s they "standardized" most of the rifles in an stock designs and then rebarreled or rebored these to 8x57IS. The actions are an intermediate length. the 1905 is special design with the reciever ring longer than any other and the bolt striker desing with an extra long striker for more sure firing of the cartridge. The stipper stip slot has a milled in high sided slot that is distinctive and the bolt relast also has a hand that wraps around to put pressure on the stripper clip to hold it in place while loading.
The bolt will need to be chosen carefully to match the type of action. A Turkish mauser is not a consistant animal. I have a few different models form when they first came into the country. All the ones I have are very nice rifles. Great wood, bores and shoot very well. The nicest is the FN 1922 and most interesting is the 1905. Can't help you on the odd .375 bore. Good luck.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

bigger_is_best
.275 member

Reged: 16/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Turkish Mauser differences? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #154846 - 26/02/10 07:02 AM

The model 87 Turkish Mauser was a blackpowder round using lead .389 bullets. If the barrel was only roughly measured that is not too far from .375. Apparently the model 87 is rare as most were scraped in around 1890 in the change to the smokeless powder 7.65.

375BSA
.224 member

Re: Turkish Mauser differences? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #154933 - 27/02/10 08:25 AM

Here are some images of the action and barrel. This is the first time I'm attempting this, so bear with me. [image]http://s846.photobucket.com/albums/ab28/nortonmarg/?action=view&current=pix50862343.jpg

--------------------
Working with jc5 on the Lee Speed research project. Very interested in contacting former BSA gunsmiths and other employees.
"Recoil is irrelevant when there's a tiger in your howdah!"

Metalguy
.300 member

Reged: 25/10/09
Loc: Northern WY
      #154980 - 27/02/10 02:42 PM

If you type "GSwagner" into a search engine, you get a website where a guy builds a match rifle out of a turk. From what I noticed on my own Turk, they have a 3/16" lip from the receiver which makes the threads in the receiver kind of recessed. And also, I understand they are a large ring action in size, but they have the small ring threads.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Turkish Mauser differences? [Re: Metalguy]
      #155065 - 28/02/10 06:36 AM

From the photo, this is a M1903 Turk Mauser action, reworked, remarked and rebarreled to 8x57S in 1932 by the Ankara arsenal. Evidence: the cutout in the rear of the receiver ring to allow passage of the longer, compared to a 7.65x53 cartridge, 8x57S. 88MauSporter is right: This is a "Intermediate length" action, same as the 1909 Peruvian (NOT Argentine!) or the commercial actions Mauser used for the Rigbys and other rifles in 7x57 aka .275 Rigby. The bolt and it's travel is about 5mm/.2" shorter than the "standard length" (Gew98, K98, Argentine 1909)action. As the standard length action properly opened up to take the .375 H&H Magnum is marginal in length, opening up this intermediate action is impossible or ridiculous! Perhaps this is the reason the barreled receiver was offered cheaply. You even cannot fit the barrel to a standard length action, as it's threaded shank is too long and too small in diameter! It will be rather difficult to find a proper intermediate bolt assembly and bottom metal. If the barrel is already chambered for the .375 H&H, you have aquired an expensive piece of junk! If you are lucky and the barrel is still without a chamber, it may be chambered perhaps for one of the shorter .375" cartridges.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

Edited by kuduae (28/02/10 06:38 AM)

375BSA
.224 member

Re: Turkish Mauser differences? [Re: kuduae]
      #155081 - 28/02/10 11:12 AM

Finding out that this is an intermediate length action has me doubting seriously if it's got an H&H chamber, but I won't know until it gets here. Presuming whom-so-ever put this together wasn't a complete fool (not that I'd bet more than a pint on it!) I'm expecting it to be 9.3 x 57 or something. I'm feeling like I might have bought a "turkey", (pun intended!). C&R showed up today so I ought to have it in hand by next week and know the story.
Thank you for the input!

--------------------
Working with jc5 on the Lee Speed research project. Very interested in contacting former BSA gunsmiths and other employees.
"Recoil is irrelevant when there's a tiger in your howdah!"

vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
      #161044 - 26/05/10 10:46 PM

[image]http://s846.photobucket.com/albums/ab28/nortonmarg/?action=view&current=pix50862343.jpg [/image]

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5969

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com