Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Empire375
.300 member

Reged: 18/08/09
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: 577500WR]
      #158914 - 14/04/10 06:17 AM

To have a 50 BMG rifle in Victoria you must be a member of the SSAA Military Rifle club and have a letter of recommendation from them. They will only give you this after you have been a member for 12 Months and they are happy to support you.
You must also have access to an approved range. The only approved range that I am aware of is Eagle Park in Little River.
I have eight months to run and then I intend to apply

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: 577500WR]
      #158957 - 14/04/10 11:29 PM

Your signature statement says it all, Matt.

Most people are anti-guns and, were we to make guns a voting issue, we would probably lose.

The problem you see here, though, may have something to do with law by regulation, where the Public Service is allowed to make up details pertaining to laws, without them ever being voted on by the legislature.

One of these regulations may be that police firearms officers are vested with the prerogative to refuse applications for any reason they see fit.

Tasmania has just had an election that ended more-or-less in a hung parliament. I'm not certain which party will form government but the Greens will have the whip hand, either way. For all that, the police are being overzealous in anticipating laws that may still not happen.

Tasmanian shooters should be asked to write to their local members and tell them that if their party connives with the Greens on such legislation it can forget about the gunowner's vote next time. As Americans know, that has a way of concentrating the representative's mind on his own political survival.

Despite John Howard scoring on gun control after the Port Arthur massacre, Barry Unsworth, once premier of NSW, apparently blamed shooters for his losing office.

- Paul

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Banning risk to large calibre rifles in Aust [Re: Paul]
      #159507 - 26/04/10 09:31 AM

A fellow I know in WA recently was approved to purchase a heavy calibre leaver-action rifle. In his letter of application, he wrote about hunting big game on the properties he has access to, as well as travelling interstate for big game hunting. He isn't a member of SSAA.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 45571

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com