Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope recommendation?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: calpappas]
      #156143 - 11/03/10 06:49 PM

A simple but strong Schmidt & Bender 4x36 steel tube with No4 Reticle.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: calpappas]
      #156285 - 12/03/10 08:08 PM

Quote:

Paul:
2500$ for a mount and rings? Wow! I had JJ at Champlin do the same on my .450-400 Harrison and Hussey ejector double and it was 800$. JJ is a combination artist/gunsmith.

Thanks Cal,
I did think about getting something mounted here with German claw mounts but ones that fit seem a bit thin on the ground. The trouble and expense of sending it over to JJ and getting it back might be more than I can afford, too. Also, I spent the money on the safari - so maybe I'll just sell the rifle and get some peace and quiet at home.

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: Scope recommendation? [Re: Paul]
      #156315 - 13/03/10 03:43 AM

I had JJ do this one for me,

DM

Edited by CptCurl (14/03/10 11:22 PM)

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Intermediate eye relief pistol scope on a dr [Re: calpappas]
      #156324 - 13/03/10 05:45 AM

Greetings from Alberta, Canada:

I read your reply regarding the use of a handgun scope on a dr. I have an older Antonio Zoli side by side in 9.3x74 R that I am trying to work loads for. The iron sights on this gun are so low that I have to grind my cheek into the stock to see them. The resulting pain from pulling the trigger was too much to bear.

I had my gunsmith dovetail into the rib a set of Dave Talley bases. To this I attached the Dave Talley rings and mounted a Leupold intermediate eye relief, 2 power pistol scope, with the back of the scope being flush with the breach face.

There is no interference from the scope when dropping cartridges into the chamber.

HOWEVER, you must remember that pistol scopes are designed to be parallax free to approximately 50 metres.

I have removed this scope and placed a 3-9 Zeiss conquest in its place to work up a load for the rifle. I am trying to get a load to work out to 100 metres. The original target that came with the rifle has two bullets touching and this was done at 100 metres.

Once the proper load has been found for the rifle, I will be putting the 2-power intermediate eye relief scope back on.

I have some pictures of the rifle on this sight under this forum. If you check under my handle, carpediem4570, you should be able to pull up a pic of the rifle and pistol scope.

I hope this has been of some help.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem4570

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

9dot3x74R
.275 member

Reged: 11/02/10
Loc: Tasmania
Re: Intermediate eye relief pistol scope on a dr [Re: carpediem4570]
      #156344 - 13/03/10 07:22 AM

Quote:

I have some pictures of the rifle on this sight under this forum. If you check under my handle, carpediem4570, you should be able to pull up a pic of the rifle and pistol scope.

Is this it.......

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post131951

If it is, the photos have expired unfortunately. Do you have any others?

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It arrived !!!

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Intermediate eye relief pistol scope on a dr [Re: 9dot3x74R]
      #156347 - 13/03/10 08:24 AM

Yup:

that was it.

I will take more pics and download.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem4570

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

carpediem4570
.300 member

#156355 - 13/03/10 01:33 PM

Hello again:

Here are photos of my Antonio Zoli 9.3x74R side by side dr with the leupold ier scope mounted in a forward position. the rear bell is in line with the breach face.

Kindest regards,

carpediem4570

Edited by CptCurl (14/03/10 11:25 PM)

9dot3x74R
.275 member

Reged: 11/02/10
Loc: Tasmania
      #156364 - 13/03/10 04:24 PM

Very nice.

Is the 50m parallax really an issue do you think?

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It arrived !!!

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Intermediate eye relief pistol scope on a dr [Re: 9dot3x74R]
      #156377 - 13/03/10 06:03 PM

As regards paralax, I haven't done enough shooting with the scope rifle combination to determine if it is an issue. My hope is to get a load developed for this rifle to shoot to 100m and if necessary, out to 200 m with an aimed and steady shot using the set trigger.

Once I develop the load, I should then be able to determine if paralax is an issue.

AS an aside, I talked with the Leupold representitive in our area and he assured me that the leupold 2.5 power scout scope would do everything the 2 power ier pistol scope would do, without the paralax issue. the eye relief on the scout scope is more than sufficient to mount the bell in line or forward of the breach face.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem4570

--------------------

Paul
.400 member

#156559 - 15/03/10 07:34 PM

That ring around the front bell looks good, DM. My only prob is that, like
Sunday, JJ is too far away.

Your set-up looks fast and sturdy, carpediem. The lack of QR levers should not be too much of a problem on a 9.3. Were parallax to raise its head, you could use a leather monte-carlo cheekpiece to raise yours, if it didn't affect regulation. I see Cabela's had some on sale last week.

Cheers
- Paul

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: Intermediate eye relief pistol scope on a dr [Re: Paul]
      #156598 - 16/03/10 03:28 AM

Quote:

That ring around the front bell looks good, DM. My only prob is that, like
Sunday, JJ is too far away.

Your set-up looks fast and sturdy, carpediem. The lack of QR levers should not be too much of a problem on a 9.3. Were parallax to raise its head, you could use a leather monte-carlo cheekpiece to raise yours, if it didn't affect regulation. I see Cabela's had some on sale last week.

Cheers
- Paul

I would be absolutely amazed that there's no one in "your" part of the world that can't properly install a claw mount! I think they are well worth the time and trouble it takes to have one installed.

DM

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Intermediate eye relief pistol scope on a dr [Re: DM]
      #156603 - 16/03/10 04:09 AM

Hello Paul:

Interesting that you noticed it was not QD. I had purchased the QD mount from Talley but when I went to attach the scope to the gun, the levers would hit the barrels, not allowing me to tighten them so, I just put in the screw that came with it. I thought of hollowing out the pistol grip and storing a tiny screw driver in the space for emergency removal, LOL.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem4570

--------------------

Paul
.400 member

#156694 - 17/03/10 12:36 AM

I'm sure there are guys who can install claw mounts here, DM. The issue was more a shortage of smiths who said they had one to suit or could get one within the few months available before I was going to Africa. Having heard Heym's quote, I didn't look too far, of course, convinced it would all finish up costing more than I wanted to pay.

Your situation, carpediem, reminds me bit of the inverted Redfield extension mounts on my Sako 338. A coin gets them off in a moment, and they go back pretty well. I just don't make a habit of doing it, having a scope that goes down to 2X. The Europeans, it seems to me, once tended to put 6-powers on rifles for use in the forest. No wonder they wanted to reef the them off when they got in close.

Cheers
- Paul

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17086

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com