Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifle standing rest design

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Double rifle standing rest design
      #15338 - 30/05/04 04:28 PM

I want to put up a double rifle standing rest on my range.

Can anyone supply design specs/ideas, preferably a diagram. Email or even fax me a picture.

I would also like to put up on the web a design for other double owners use as well as a future resource.

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Double rifle standing rest design [Re: NitroX]
      #15341 - 30/05/04 05:21 PM

Nitro

Page 39 of Donald Dallas' book "Holland & Holland 'The Royal' Gunmakers" gives a picture of Holland's setup at their Kensal Range in the late 1900's, with a brief description of how their regulator, William Froome went about the business.

The stand that he is using appears to have a series of linkages that presumably allow for variations in the shooters height and/or stance. The main thing is to get yourself into a position that will allow you to move back with recoil, which is not possible when leaning forward in a sitting position.

I will e-mail some scans from the book for you to you to throw up, if that's not in breach of any copywright.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Double rifle standing rest design [Re: 470Rigby]
      #15358 - 31/05/04 02:55 AM

I built one and the next time I set it up I will take some pictures. It is portable and has detachable legs so it fits in my car. It is sturdy and can be adjusted for height of table and rifle.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Double rifle standing rest design [Re: mickey]
      #15361 - 31/05/04 09:21 AM

Thanks, photo's would be great!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#15541 - 05/06/04 04:08 AM

Photos supplied courtesy of Mr 470Rigby. Thanks.

Reference: "Holland & Holland 'The Royal' Gunmakers", Donald Dallas

--------------------
John aka NitroX

338X74R
.275 member

Reged: 19/05/04
Loc: Norway
      #15628 - 08/06/04 06:32 PM

Graeme Wrights book "Shooting the british double rifle", edition 2, page 107 has a picture of a standing rest used by H&H. This rest allows the shooter to stand upright "inside" a bench formed like a semi-circle, with the rifle in a normal shooting position. He leans his elbows on the heavily padded bench, and his left underarm on a somewhat higher pad on the front of the bench.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double rifle standing rest design [Re: 338X74R]
      #15632 - 09/06/04 01:36 AM

Good one. Just looked at the photo and it should be useful.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #15649 - 09/06/04 09:15 AM

Nitro,
If you are going to build one I would suggest that it is made adjustable for height, and also for elbow and/or shoulder rests.
I've shot doubles from standing rests that were made for someone elses height and found them to be awkward and difficult to hold steady from.
Too low or too high can make a big difference to how steady you can hold and also how the recoil will feel with the big stuff.
When I lived in outback Queensland I had a very basic but very good double rifle rest on my front porch.
There was an aluminium awning over the porch supported by several 2 inch square aluminium posts.
I would fit a sliding carpenters clamp to one post that was not far from a wall on the house.
The clamp could easily be positioned up or down for precise height and I would wrap a towell around it for padding.
I would use this as the rest for my forehand and I found that I could lean against the house wall slightly with the back of my left shoulder.
This position was as steady as shooting from a benchrest and was very good for sorting out double loads and sighting etc.
It was also very kind in the recoil department and was as comfortable as shooting offhand.
There was a dam bank at about 90 yards where I would set up the targets.
Lord how I wish I still had it, especially when working up loads for my 9 1/4 pound 470 double!

Spring
.300 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Georgia
      #15652 - 09/06/04 12:24 PM

Here are two versions that you might like. The first is one that I saw in Zimbabwe and the second is one that I saw in a catalog.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double rifle standing rest design [Re: Spring]
      #15654 - 09/06/04 01:17 PM

Spring

Great ideas for rifle racks! But I think you are a little confused on the discussion. But still like the photos. I want to host a big bore / double rifle shoot hopefully annually and will need portable rifle racks. The second portable one looks particularly good.

I want to build a double rifle shooting bench or rest. So that is what the fellows here are discussing. The main problems are: big bores recoil; and doubles should not be rested on bags etc when shooting from a bench. So the idea is to shoot standing so with the body "whip" felt recoil is lessened. And doubles can be shot from bags resting on one's hands and not on the bags.

I'm thinking of building something around the following design.

1. Dig 3 or 4 posts in the ground, out of the ground enough to allow a tall person to shoot standing.

2. Cut a thick marine board "table" or bench top into a square with a large U shape in one side, large enough to allow a person to stand and/or sit comfortably in the U.

Place a wooden frame underneath it if more stability is required.

This will also allow left hand as well as right handed shooters to use it. The "arms" of the U will allow the shooter to rest their rear elbow. Similar to the photo in the "Shooting the British Double" book photo.

3. Either using holes cut through the posts, or more likely some sort of clamps, arrange for the bench top to be able to be moved up and down the posts to the correct height for the shooter. For me I will want it as a standing height for shooting doubles and big bores and as a sitting bench height for more sighting in / load development.

A better design would be to allow the "posts" to be portable rather than dug into the ground. Perhaps using aluminium posts which also allow more holes closer together to be drilled in them allowing the height to be set closer to the shooter's height.

My range has mounds for 25 metre, 50 metre, 75 metre and 100 metre ranges. There is also a very large back stop of a disused railway line mound behind the 100 metre target. I will be planting some trees and also want to set up some clay target throwers. The only problem will be if the neighbours complain about the noise!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Arctic
.275 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Arctic Canada
      #15655 - 09/06/04 03:52 PM

I built a standing rest a couple of years ago for our range.....stuck two 10' 4x4's into the ground about 3 feet deep and 30" apart, braced them apart with 4X4's at ground level, 4 feet up, and at the top. Spaced 3/4" holes 3" apart from 4' level to 6' level. Took a 24" length of 4" ABS pipe and put caps on both ends and then drilled the cap centers with 3/4" holes. Wrapped the ABS pipe with foam and carpet and banded and duct-taped it. Through this goes a 3 foot length of copper or steel pipe which is fed through the holes in the vertical 4x4's. ....The end result is a standing rifle rest, adjustable for height!
The pipe ends are held with bolts or cotter pins so they don't fall out. Cheap, easy, and works well, ...no elbows rests as they don't occur in the field! ...Just think of an "H" with the crosspiece adjustable!
Not sure where I saw this concept originally.

~Arctic~

--------------------
"A stranger is a friend we haven't met!"

Geronimo
.275 member

Reged: 14/04/04
Loc: Michigan,USA
      #15657 - 09/06/04 09:28 PM

I would suggest contacting Geoff Miller, current owner of Rigby/ Rouge River Arms. In an article he did a few years ago for Double Gun Journal, there was just such a standing rest which he used to regulate rifles. This was standing rest, adjustable for height, and it had wheels which allowed it to be moved around. I know this rest works because I shot a couple of doubles from it during a visit there in 1999.

Geronimo

338X74R
.275 member

Reged: 19/05/04
Loc: Norway
      #15697 - 10/06/04 10:54 PM

I came across this shooting rest at http://www.lahticompany.com/
This is not a bench, but seems to be of good use when working up loads for big bore double rifles. They even have a letter from Butch Searcy recommending it.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Double rifle standing rest design [Re: 338X74R]
      #16184 - 25/06/04 01:00 PM

If it is a permenent rest, then build it just like a sit down bench rest with higher legs with adjustment and of light materaial, that way you have an elbow rest and can use your benchrest stuff with it....

I have a portable affair made from 4" plastic pipe with a big base, it is a post affair with a bag on it..one pipe within another and holes drilled so it can be adjusted n one inch acruments with a bolt run through the holes...the top is a 4inch piece of pipe cut in half with a bag in it...One of these days I will put a table on top of it or at least an elbow rest..but for now it does well at 50 yards for sighting in and group work...and it packs in a care easy...Problem is I lent it to someone and can't recall who! Oh well I can whip up another in aboutn 30 minutes.

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #16880 - 19/07/04 09:52 AM

Here is another photo of Holland and Holland's set-up for reguating rifles.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#16890 - 19/07/04 01:38 PM

Thanks for that photo. A classic. I like the telescope.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4382

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com