Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I need an Alaskan Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
iwillbnace
.224 member

Reged: 30/05/04
Loc: Soldotna AK
I need an Alaskan Rifle
      #15332 - 30/05/04 01:01 PM

I am moving to Alaska, and have heard that I need a big bore rifle. I have also heard that a 30-06 is just fine and I should use that. I plan on having a bear gun with me at all times anyway, but what is a good gun to get (I am looking for Moose, but want to be able to use it on smaller game such as deer, elk, bu also)?

On a side note, I love to shot for fun (targets), so something with reasonable ammo would also be nice, but if impactical so be it.

Thanks for your help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: iwillbnace]
      #15334 - 30/05/04 01:33 PM

I would start with a .338. On the AR Alaskan Forum their are quite a few Alaskans that will tell you the 06 is too light when facing a BB.

Where are you moving too?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DavidAk311
.224 member

Reged: 28/01/04
Loc: Alaska
Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: mickey]
      #15357 - 31/05/04 02:13 AM

If you like the '06, by all means use it...I used one here for 17years. I recently switched to .375, but not because i felt undergunned.

There is nothing wrong with the '06 in Alaska, IMO. If you like to shoot for fun, even more reason to have a caliber in the '06 class...

dave

iwillbnace
.224 member

Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: DavidAk311]
      #15363 - 31/05/04 10:44 AM

What type of range can you get with the .338 vs the 30-06 vs .375 when taking moose?

I dont already have a 30-06 so I am not already comfortable with any one rifle, I am starting from scratch. In NJ you are only allowed shotgun or muzzle loading for deer no rifles, so that is all I have now. By the way will a 12 gauge with 3" slugs work for bear protection?

mickey
.416 member

#15366 - 31/05/04 12:17 PM

iwillbnace

The fact that you do not have a rifle complicates this a bit. If you are not used to recoil a '06 is a starter but if you are used to firing a 12 gauge than the 338 and up will be easy.

I am a firm believer in having enough of a cartridge to do the job under the worst scenario not the best. I don't live in Alaska but I have shot a couple of Moose and big Bears there and a few more Moose and a couple of Grizzlies in BC. An '06 calls for a perfectly placed shot and that is not always possible.

Range has nothing to do with it. You need to be close enough to hit any animal. When hunting Bears 100 yards is a long way. Moose are big and distance is not your friend.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
      #15367 - 31/05/04 12:28 PM

I am a former Alaskan. I am one of the few who think the .30/06 is good for all game. I wouldn't worry about maximum range. A practicle range is in the 300 to 350 yards area. If you can hit at that range any of the 3 you mentioned are perfectly good. If you can't, get closer. One bit of advise: DON'T EVEN THINK OF SHOOTING BEARS AT THAT DISTANCE. A big brownie wounded and in the bush is a persons worst nightmare. On brownies I think a more reasonable range is about 150 yards MAXIMUM. You want to place your first bullet precisely and make it count. As for ammo and shooting costs, try handloading. I learned to handload in college. I could load 100 for about what 40 would cost me on the shelf. enjoy yourself when you go and make sure you give us a full report.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #15397 - 01/06/04 06:24 AM

Take a look at the Win. Model 70 stainless classic in .375 H&H. Not pretty, but functional, and also very accurate. I've yet to shoot a group over 1 1/4" at 100 yards with Remington factory ammo loaded with the 300 grain Swift A-Frame. The price is reasonable too.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #15432 - 02/06/04 02:01 AM

As someone raised in Alaska, I'll second the 30-06 as good general rifle. You can hunt with it, practice with it, and find ammo anywhere. Good 180 or 200 gr bullets would suit you fine, leave the 150 and 165s for the lower 48 (though 165 do good for long distance on smaller game). Other pretty common calibers that Alaskans use: 7mmRM, 300 WM, some of the Weatherby's and 338WM. You generally don't see that many Alaskans running arround with the guns that visiting hunters from the lower 48 tote arround (I've seen very few 375s really being used by Alaskans)

It does depend on what you really want the rifle for. A general hunting rifle for moose, black bear and maybe caribou and target practice is different than a rifle only to be used for bear safety: ie. shooting at close distances, and stopping charges. 30-06 is flexible, low recoil and cheap ammo. Most of the big boys for stopping bears are not as cheap, have a heavier recoil and are not rifles most people use as general purpose rifles.

I might draw some flak here, but generally speaking you just don't need to constantly carry a bear gun with you at all times in Alaska. I grew up both near Anchorage and in the interior arround Fairbanks, have spent time in the Southeast coast too, and spent a lot of time fishing and birdhunting without a big rifle. Just practice good bear habits and use common sense you shouldn't have problems with bears. Of course there are exceptions: salmon rivers, areas with lots of bears (Kodiak etc), and arround dumps/parks that might have problem bears.

Just my thoughts.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
      #15440 - 02/06/04 09:28 AM

Where are you moving to?

The '06 has and can still handle all the game animals in Alaska. The problem is getting into a stopping situation in the thick and nasty alder and devil's club with a big enraged brown bear, where you really need something more.

The '06 will handle moose and caribou and bears and sheep and goats very well. There is a noticeable difference in killing effect between the 338 and the '06.

I really like my 338 for this state. It's the ideal cartridge for Alaska.

Edited by DPhillips (02/06/04 09:50 AM)

DavidAk311
.224 member

Reged: 28/01/04
Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: DPhillips]
      #15519 - 04/06/04 12:14 PM

I've never used my '06 on a brownie, though I've had it in my hands during several tense encounters with them...just didn't have to shoot. I believe the closer they are when you have to pull the trigger, the less crucial it is to have the bigger calibers, to some degree.

It certainly did a fine job on my 64" moose.

I also believe the .338 is an excellent caliber for Alaska. I'm skeptical, though...that it's appropriate for the majority of hunters, especially (no offense intended) someone who's asking such a basic question. By simply asking it, I would infer that you might not be used to shooting medium size magnums. I personally feel that the .338 is beyond the comfortable recoil zone for most shooters. Just my opinion.

I would recommend the '06 to you, but should you choose the .338, I think you'll do fine..provided you're comfortable shooting it. Then again..you could always opt for my favorite...

...375 H&H...One Planet, One Gun..

dave

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: DavidAk311]
      #15527 - 04/06/04 10:48 PM

Check this out.

www.wildwestguns.com/CoPilot_And_Guide_Rifles/ body_copilot_and_guide_rifles.html

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

AlaskanPH
.224 member

Reged: 31/03/04
Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: bonanza]
      #15539 - 05/06/04 04:04 AM

Though I have rifles ranging in caliber from .22 to .470 NE, if I were to go out today and purchase only one gun for Alaska I think it would be a .375 H&H, probably the Winchester Classic in stainless steel, with a synthetic stock and iron sights. They can normally be found here in Alaska for about $750. Add a Leupold scope and for a littles over $1,000 you would have a great Alaskan gun. Choose the 270 grain bullets for lighter game and the 300 grain bullet for bears and moose. Though it is not a sheep hunting rifle (.270, .300 or .30-06 would be a much better choice for sheep hunting and/or longer range shooting), it will easily handle everyhting Alaska has to offer and could be used in Africa as well.

I have also found that a .375 gives the impression of less recoil than the .338. While the .375 "pushes" you, I have found my two .338's have a sharp "kick" and would much rather shoot a .375 than a .338!

All the best,
Alaskan PH

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: AlaskanPH]
      #15543 - 05/06/04 05:10 AM

Do you need a hunting rifle or guide gun? I just sold all my guns (except a 308 BAR, and 7mm bolt) to buy a 375 double which would make a great guide gun. I used to have a 338 BAR which I loved, but they are long and bulky. The new double is very compact.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

AlaskanPH
.224 member

Reged: 31/03/04
Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: bonanza]
      #15549 - 05/06/04 07:55 AM

Being the proud owner of a double rifle, and a Master Guide here in Alaska, the problem with using a double rifle here is the weather and environment. Using a double as a back-up rifle here would be nice, particularily when hunting brown bear and grizzly, the problem is that much of that hunting is done in the coastal regions of Alaska and I fear that the salt water and salt laden air would simply destroy a double rifle, and as we all know, they are not a cheap firearm. I suspect that after a month on the Aalska Peninsula, Kodiak or in Southeast a persons beautfiul double rifle would look like a rusty old nail.

Thus, though I would love to carry it on alot of my hunts, I suspect I will only use it in Africa and on the few occassions when I am guiding a bow hunter for brown bear in regions that the salt water and air will not have as fast an effect (such as in parts of Southwestern Alaska where the bear hunting is done along fresh water lakes and rivers).

That is my two cents worth but to each his own!

Alaskan PH

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: AlaskanPH]
      #17966 - 14/08/04 04:42 AM

I agree with you about the recoil. The 375 H&H is definitely not as harsh in the recoil department as the 338.

bonanza50
.224 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: South Carolina, USA
Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #17967 - 14/08/04 04:58 AM

Oh, that can easily be explained by understanding the ideal gas law verses the nonlinear combustion chemistry of double based nitro in a variable chamber factoring in the third law of motion and P(peak) / T(total) in conjunction with max pain threshold minis damping effect of the recoil pad.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: bonanza50]
      #17968 - 14/08/04 06:54 AM

Way over my head.....I'll take your word for it though.

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #18275 - 21/08/04 07:03 AM

holy moly! my 375 hits like a horse... it's a little on the light side though!

for this discussion... the 338 is a good choice, its practical, unlike the 358s, which would be another good choice.

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #18375 - 24/08/04 12:49 AM

I hunted Alaska twice, one for Brown Bear and later for a Moose and I used a .375 H&H. I only had shot two bullets there, so I'd choose the right caliber .

Next time I'll carry a .338 Win to try Sheep and/or Black Bear.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

iwillbnace
.224 member

#18912 - 04/09/04 12:42 PM

I want to say thank you all for you advise and opinions. To address one of the most asked questions (sorry I did not do this upfront), I have shot many of the rifles that have been listed. 30-06, 338 being the most common. I was leaning toward the .375 H&H and still think I might. (I went with a friend and his 30-06 which just felt weak.)

Also do not worry, I have no plans of trying to make an 800 yard shot, my limit is MUCH shorter. Also thanks for reafferming the dont shot a Brownie till close.

I would like to ask again if you all think that a 12 gauge with slugs is ok bear protection, or would you carry a side arm? any suggestions on which one (i have been told .454 but not the ruger or tauras and dont know anyone else who makes them).

Again thanks all for your help, cant wait to tell you stories of the end result.

iwillbnace
.224 member

Re: I need an Alaskan Rifle [Re: mickey]
      #18913 - 04/09/04 12:43 PM

I want to say thank you all for you advise and opinions. To address one of the most asked questions (sorry I did not do this upfront), I have shot many of the rifles that have been listed. 30-06, 338 being the most common. I was leaning toward the .375 H&H and still think I might. (I went with a friend and his 30-06 which just felt weak.)

Also do not worry, I have no plans of trying to make an 800 yard shot, my limit is MUCH shorter. Also thanks for reafferming the dont shot a Brownie till close.

I would like to ask again if you all think that a 12 gauge with slugs is ok bear protection, or would you carry a side arm? any suggestions on which one (i have been told .454 but not the ruger or tauras and dont know anyone else who makes them).

Again thanks all for your help, cant wait to tell you stories of the end result.

mickey
.416 member

#18918 - 04/09/04 02:23 PM

My personnel feeling is the 12 Gauge with a Brenneke type slug is better than a pistol. The problem is it is also bigger and more awkward to carry when you are doing something else.

Better to have a weak weapon with you than a more powerful one in the tent.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #18925 - 04/09/04 03:36 PM

Winchester 1895 in .405Win

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Siskiyous6
.275 member

Reged: 21/11/04
Loc: Del Norte COunty, CA
      #21119 - 22/11/04 04:56 PM

358 Winchester. You will have to reload. The Browning lever action BLR is perfect for everyday carry because it is a carbine. It is on your dealers shelf today. The recoil is moderate, and it is easy to mount a scope.

--------------------
Pass it on!

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #23011 - 31/12/04 11:36 PM

I would get a synthetic Blaser R-93. Then you could switch barrels to the caliber you wanted to use. This way your practice shots with the lighter caliber would be just like shooting the bigger rifle, without the recoil of course.
If you had a 308 instead of a 30-06 you could shoot surplus military ammo for practice. I would use the 375 H&H barrel when hunting anytime I was in Bear country.
I have a Blaser R-93 and like it quite a lot.
Last time I hunted Alaska I took it in 300 Win Mag and my 450/400 3 1/4" double rifle.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5318

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com