Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Back From Bear Hunting

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
DavidAk311
.224 member

Reged: 28/01/04
Loc: Alaska
Back From Bear Hunting
      #15318 - 30/05/04 01:20 AM

I recently returned from two weeks of bear hunting in SE Alaska...we spent a week hunting browns and a week chasing blacks. I met up with BW, who I had been in contact with on 24hourcampfire and AR, and we had a great time chasing bears. I flew down with two of my friends and Brian (BW) picked us up and put up with us without a complaint

Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures of the brown bear hunting activities with my still camera, and haven't figured out how to pull still shots off the video camera, so don't have many pictures on hand to post of the brown bear hunting. I didn't get a brownie, but we saw lots and managed to keep them on their toes. Here's a pic of the brown bear my friend shot. He's from out of state, and had a great time on a sort of father/son hunt with my buddy Matt..

We enjoyed some unbelievable weather, I had some serious sunburn . We also pulled BW's crab pots a couple times and feasted on some dungies a couple evenings.

My brother and another friend joined me for the second week of the trip and we had equally fine weather and adventure. We each managed to get a black bear. Here's a photo of my friend Jim with his...

Also, one of me and mine...taken on Mother's Day. Am sending the skull down to Mom, since I didn't send flowers...heh. One shot at 160yds and he hit the dirt chin first. JJHACK was kind enough to load me up a batch of his favorite 270gr SAF's for my .375, and I found the bullet just under the hide on the opposite side after sending it through both front shoulders...

This is one of my brother with his bear, taken at 28yds with his bow. It was his first bow kill. I was a little skeptical of the whole deal, but I must say it turned out perfect. Broadside shot through both lungs, just behind the shoulder. Those Muzzy broadheads are certainly formidable. When struck, he half-reared and turned to bite at the wound..then disappeared into the brush, a couple bounds away. He was stacked up not too far into the trees...

Anyway, one more pic from the trip:

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures. We had a fun hunt, an I especially enjoyed hanging out with Brian...can't wait to return to his part of the state and do some salmon fishing!
dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Back From Bear Hunting [Re: DavidAk311]
      #15319 - 30/05/04 01:28 AM

David

Nice pictures and it looks like a fun hunt. I was going to send my Mother the skull of what I shot over Mothers Day but I didn't think she wanted a Ground Squirrel head.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #15328 - 30/05/04 11:14 AM

Those are some very nice blackies. What was the average size and weight for them? BTW, what was the cost to do the hunt? Sure looks interesting.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #15345 - 30/05/04 07:11 PM

Nice pics mate, thanks

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

canada
.275 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Northern Ontario Canada
Re: Back From Bear Hunting [Re: 470Nitro]
      #15349 - 30/05/04 09:32 PM

Ontario Canada has always had a spring bear hunt but because of pressure from the city areas of the province this hunt was cancelled. Since that time the bear problem is out of control in the rual areas of the province. Bears are being shot and left where they are. The ministry responsible for hunting has hot lines set up to tell you how to deal with problem bears. Northern cities have hired live trappers to remove bears to remote areas where they can be a problem there. The Provincial Government states that the cancellation of the spring bear hunt has no effect on the bear population. I ask why not have it?
A fall hunt for bear in Northern Ontario is not costly and is almost 100%. Most outfitters have bait stands set up from spring to fall. The hunt is also an easy do it yourself. North Bay, Newliskard, Timmins etc. areas have 1000's acres of Crown land . All one needs is to set up baits in various locations and have the patience to sit in your tree stand. Bear weights up to 500 lbs. have been shot with the average 200 to 300 lbs.

DavidAk311
.224 member

Reged: 28/01/04
Loc: Alaska
Re: Back From Bear Hunting [Re: 475Guy]
      #15355 - 31/05/04 01:40 AM

Thanks....the bears were 6'10, 7', and 7'2. Skull sizes were 20, 20.5, and 21 inches.

The hunt is cheap the way i do it, I just pay an air charter and bring all of my own gear...tents, raft with motor, etc.

dave

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Back From Bear Hunting [Re: canada]
      #15384 - 01/06/04 01:48 AM

Canada

can you tell me why baiting in practiced in Ontario? I have never been there so is it because the bush is too thick, there are not any cut blocks or inaccessability?
In B.C. it is outlawed but success is good too. Unfortunately not as many hunters are bothering to shoot them anymore and the population is quite high, with the usual problems of bears coming into towns. Too bad about your lack of spring hunting.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

canada
.275 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Northern Ontario Canada
Re: Back From Bear Hunting [Re: AdamTayler]
      #15401 - 01/06/04 12:59 PM

Baiting bears has been used as long as I can recall. The bush is often very thick. Shots are 50 yds or so. There are few clear cuts to hunt but they are increasing.The bait is set out and a tree stand or ground blind set up. Several locations are used and the ground cleared so that you can see the tracks. If you move in your stand or you smell bad the bear is gone. Some bears are shot in farmers fields eating grain. They are shot as a nuisance. All this sounds very easy but a lot of time and patience goes into the hunt. Usually numerous smaller bears are passed on. Sows are not shot. I have also hunted bears with hounds. This is a lot of fun and most bears are not shot.This has become very unpopular and the anti groups want all hunting with dogs stopped.

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
      #15435 - 02/06/04 07:25 AM

Great pics & stories! Thanks for posting. I love bear hunting. I have taken a few with my rifle......I need to try with my bow

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1478

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com