Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser Action Value & Preference?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Mauser Action Value & Preference?
      #152213 - 30/01/10 12:19 PM

This is sort of a poll, there are (as we all know) quite a few variants of the 98 military mauser. It would be interesting to hear from the members their order of preference eg. mine is something like this VZ-24, Oberndorf, Chilean and so on in the in the large ring, 33/40 (if i could find and afford it} & a 98a because I can, in the small ring versions. The other aspect of this "poll" is what you would expect to pay in a deal between an informed seller & informed buyer, for an unmodified, rust free example in your neck of the woods. The bottom line is I sometimes see just the action for sale and only have a vague idea of the value. Thankyou for any response(s). --- John 303.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
Re: Mauser Action Value & Preference? [Re: John303]
      #152220 - 30/01/10 01:47 PM

For ex-military, I like 1909 Argentine, 1908 Brazil, VZ24 Brno, 1912 Steyr in that order.

--------------------
~

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Mauser Action Value & Preference? [Re: Grenadier]
      #152255 - 30/01/10 08:14 PM

DWM and S42.

The slickest action I have ever seen/held was a DWM. Belonged to a member here on the forum.

Myself have a .300 H&H made on a S42(Oberndorf).

I have only heard good things about the military actions made from Sauer & Sohn.

Pricerange for all these action mentioned above, here in denmark is about US$ 200-300 if they have matching numbers.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Mauser Action Value & Preference? [Re: John303]
      #152271 - 31/01/10 12:40 AM

I have four 98 sporters built on Oberndorf military actions made for Portugal in the '30's. The calibers are 6.5X.308 (.260 Remington), .308 and .358, plus a wildcat .400/.284. They, plus my little 7X57 featherweight built on a G33/40, are my favorites.

For a longer cartridge, I would have to go with the Argentine 1909, especially with their beautiful hinged floor plates and long cocking pieces.

I bought all these actions decades ago, and I have no real feel for current prices, although I have the feeling that the G33/40 prices are out the roof. At one point Flaig's in Millvale, PA, offered the Portuguese Oberndorf Mauser actions for around $35.00 as I recall. To put this in perspective, at the same time for $35.00 you could buy either a 1903 Springfield, a Walther P-38 or a Mauser HsC from Interarms in Alexandria, VA. (I bought all three.)

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: Mauser Action Value & Preference? [Re: xausa]
      #152297 - 31/01/10 05:47 AM

I havent had the privelege of handling many of the better 98 variants but I have had a couple of 1908 DWM's and they certainly do "it" for me. The last one I bought was a couple of years ago and it had been re barrelled, stocked,scoped and it came with a pair of bino's for NZ$500 and after the rest of the crap had been mooved on the action owed me about $150 and GS made apreciative comments on how beautifully machined it was and how tight and smooth it was - is. FN Columbian from the 50's that has done a lot of work now is still a desirable action although I bought it in the late 70's so price is irelevant as are the barrelled actions from the US in the same era which were unidentifiable and while exceptable were not outstanding and have all been mooved on now. Asking prices are quite high here for those still in mil trim, even late war models, but a sporterised action can be had reasonably on ocassion. The good actions are rarely offered as actions alone and those with them are sometimes unrealistic in thier expectations.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Mauser Action Value & Preference? [Re: VonGruff]
      #153093 - 08/02/10 01:36 AM

I like the Argentine 1909 (German build) in a large ring.

The prices of these seem to be skyrocketing also. I just noticed one sell on GunBroker at $655.00 after 50 bids! Here's a link, which won't last very long:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=145544952

Of course, we all remember the "good old days."

In a small ring the G33/40 rocks. I still have one squirrelled away and haven't decided what to do with it. It's been lying around for 20 years or so. I have no idea what they bring now. Here's mine, "in the raw":

Martini & Hagn have one listed for sale at CAD $2,500.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Mauser Action Value & Preference? [Re: CptCurl]
      #153095 - 08/02/10 01:53 AM

By the way, I just thought of an opportunity. I have a friend who went to great lengths to setup a gunsmithing operation 15-20 years ago. As he was getting his plans together his health failed, including his eyesight. His hope to build rifles fell by the wayside, and he sold off his machinery.

During that time he gathered up a number of rifles and actions to work on. He has a trove of unmolested Mexican small ring M98 actions. I suspect they could be bought fairly reasonably if anybody is interested. The Mexican actions make great sporters. If there is an interest, send me an email or PM. Don't let this be a hijack of this thread.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Mauser Action Value & Preference? [Re: CptCurl]
      #153115 - 08/02/10 05:37 AM

I agree with the 1909 Argentine action from Berlin.
One really good reason to use this action other than the overall quality of workmanship is the trigger bow floorplate release. This is a very nice feature and much like the original Oberndorf sporters.
All of the Argentine military rifles I have inspected feel very solid and smooth just as they are.

As for pricing, I recently saw two Argentine carbines for $360 each and they were in really nice shape. I thought of picking them up just to save for the actions. I know one day I will regret not doing so.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Mauser Action Value & Preference? [Re: Huvius]
      #153121 - 08/02/10 06:26 AM

My favorite Mauser action is a recent one: the Empire Arms 98S Mauser.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4338

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com