Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: H&H Project - opinion

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
jaz
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: Northeast US
H&H Project - opinion
      #153043 - 07/02/10 06:50 AM

Hello,

Having read through thousands of opinions about various topics from our members, some are quite good. So I ask your opinion.....

I recently acquired a Holland Dominion double rifle in the 375 2.5" flanged cartridge. Along with the gun came a nicely made set of 28" Austrian proofed 20 bore barrels. Also included are three 25.5" shotgun barrels in 20, 20 and 28 bore as well as a half finished lined set of barrels in, to the best of my calculations, 45 125 Sharps (!??) These are not finished as the liners are still extending through the original barrels. These barrels were lined from the identical 25.5"s type of barrels.

The action has been engraved with three capercaillie's which look to me like turkeys. The birds are engraved in a heavy relief which is beautiful, but they are damn turkeys!

The gun has been engraved to an individuals liking, but degraded the gun in his efforts. The gun still has the barrels in their original 375 chambering and are in good shape, no scope, all original. The action is a long top strap back action dominion. This action was described to me years ago by David Winks, retired Head gunsmith Holland, as "their strongest action ever made". I assume because it is a back action and not much meat is machined out as with a sidelock or boxlock.
The gun weighs 9.4 lbs, with the rifle barrels.

Because the value has been diminished with the engraving, here is what I am pondering:

- Do I re-chamber the gun to a 375 Flanged Magnum and make it a much more useful gun, bringing any big game into play? (blasphemy!) If it was any other action, I would not consider it, but I believe this is safe. Yes it may have to be re-regulated. What would potential buyers think?? Not that I am looking to sell it.

- Scope. I like, or should I say need, a scope for out to 100 yards. If I scoped it, it would be with the correct period scope and in claw mounts.

- Or, do I re-line or sleeve the half done barrels with a more useful cartridge and leave the originals alone. Again I have turkeys on the gun!!! If so, what cartridge? The 375 Flanged Mag, 9.3 x 74R, reuse the .452 +/- ??

Thoughts??
John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: H&H Project - opinion [Re: jaz]
      #153047 - 07/02/10 07:11 AM

Personally, I'd leave it as is and if you want a bigger caliber or more power I'd do that with the 45 barrels. The 375 should be enough for everything in North America except brownies. Even then it'd still work ok.
Is there a chance that H&H did the engraving as per the order of the rifle?

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #153051 - 07/02/10 08:04 AM

Quote:

The action has been engraved with three capercaillie's which look to me like turkeys. The birds are engraved in a heavy relief which is beautiful, but they are damn turkeys!

A good point was made about whether or not the engraving is original. You can check with H&H. I doubt, though, if the records will show what the engraving was.

Quote:

The gun has been engraved to an individuals liking, but degraded the gun in his efforts.

Personal tastes differ but I'm with you on this.

Quote:

The gun still has the barrels in their original 375 chambering and are in good shape, no scope, all original.

That's the best part.

Quote:

Because the value has been diminished with the engraving, here is what I am pondering:

- Do I re-chamber the gun to a 375 Flanged Magnum and make it a much more useful gun, bringing any big game into play? (blasphemy!) If it was any other action, I would not consider it, but I believe this is safe. Yes it may have to be re-regulated. What would potential buyers think?? Not that I am looking to sell it.

Because the .375 Flanged case is much longer and bigger in diameter, there might be some issue with the barrel dimensions at the chamber. I don't know. What is the rate of twist on your current barrels and is that compatible with the .375 Flanged? And, surely, it will need re-regulation. That will also require removing and replacing the ribs and sights. Seems like a lot of work to me. If you must have a .375 Flanged you might as well go the extra mile and get it re-barreled and done right. However, if it was mine, I would keep it a ,375 2-1/2".

Quote:

Scope. I like, or should I say need, a scope for out to 100 yards. If I scoped it, it would be with the correct period scope and in claw mounts.

If you want it, then do it, regardless of what you do to the barrels.

Quote:

Or, do I re-line or sleeve the half done barrels with a more useful cartridge and leave the originals alone.

That's an option but it's a lot of work, especially to do properly.

Quote:

Again I have turkeys on the gun!!!

This seems to be your major objection and your re-boring and re-barreling options won't change it. I suggest you take it out and shoot it. If it shoots well enough then those "turkeys" might not bother you so much.

--------------------
~

jaz
.300 member

Re: H&H Project - opinion [Re: Grenadier]
      #153064 - 07/02/10 11:07 AM

I will check with Holland next week as I need the ledger page anyway, but I have little hope.
Thanks
John

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #153130 - 08/02/10 09:59 AM

John,
You could just ship it to me, I think I can put up with the Turkeys awhile. I might even be able to come up with something to trade you for it. Ha! Seriously, It sounds like a nice set up, I would not mess with it too much and I would think long and hard about it before doing anything to it.
Good Luck, Bob H.

Orvar
.300 member

Reged: 31/12/08
Loc: London, UK
Re: H&H Project - opinion [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #153211 - 09/02/10 05:21 PM

John

Any photos (for us to drool over)?

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: H&H Project - opinion [Re: Orvar]
      #153377 - 12/02/10 12:13 AM

I would personally leave it as a 375 flanged.
My reason is:- the 375 belted mag was never designed for use in double rifles.
If you know someone with a 375 belted mag double ,check out the amount of metal that engages the rimless rim when the extractor engages.
Then compare that with your rifle.

Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: H&H Project - opinion [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #153383 - 12/02/10 01:47 AM

1: leave the .375 flanged alone.
2: finish the partial lined project (PM me).

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

jaz
.300 member

Re: H&H Project - opinion [Re: bonanza]
      #153424 - 12/02/10 10:52 AM

To clarify, there are 3 similar 375's:
- the first is the one I have, Flaged 2.5"
- Rimless magnum as used in most bolt guns
- the rimmed version of the above, often called the Flanged Magnum, and this is the one I was considering.
John

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4679

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com