Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: To Restore or Not to Restore

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/03
Loc: United Kingdom
To Restore or Not to Restore
      #15275 - 28/05/04 04:02 AM

I have been considering restoring the colour hardened finish on my double.

It is by A Hollis and was I believe built between 1908 and 1910. The collector’s value I know will never be great like a Holland and Holland so I am not really considering this as an issue. The action at present is somewhat “polished” and is typical of a rifle of this age. I love the traditional colour hardened finish and from a practical point it is less visible when hunting.

What do you think, restore the original finish or leave in its original worn condition?

Are there any dangers in the process of colour hardening in an older rifle like this?

What kind of cost would you expect for colour hardening an action?

Do you know of anyone reliable, perhaps small scale outworkers here in the UK who can carry out this type of work?

The next question is weather to have the engraving recut. Any ideas?

Regards

Phil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: To Restore or Not to Restore [Re: Phil_in_the_UK]
      #15276 - 28/05/04 04:31 AM

I looked into having my old shotgun re-colored, sold it to get my double rifle. But, it was going to be expensive, about $500.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #15280 - 28/05/04 05:48 AM

I would leave it alone unless your are prepared to restore the whole rifle. Bright Colour looks out of place on a worn rifle. Case Colouring also requires dissasembly and heat, both can damage your rifle if not done properly.

A little honest wear and character never hurt any rifle and it is almost a 100 years old.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #15284 - 28/05/04 08:44 AM

In reply to:

What do you think, restore the original finish or leave in its original worn condition?

I think the rifle is best left original and this way you can take it out hunting often without worrying about wearing out your "new" finish!

Take it out and try and wear it out some more!
Just my opinion, as I'm a double user, not a collecter or restorer!
Have fun!

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #15323 - 30/05/04 08:48 AM

Phil
In reply to:

Do you know of anyone reliable, perhaps small scale outworkers here in the UK who can carry out this type of work?

I would be very wary about who you get to do any case colouring. Unless they know what they are doing the colours will not be traditional "English" and your Hollis will look wrong. But, wose than that is the liklihood of warping the action, requiring expensive re-fitting.

The best work is still done in the UK (Birmigham), but the guy prefers to work through other gunsmiths, so I won't give his details - the dealer that you bought the Hollis from should be able point you in the right direction.

If you are prepared to send it out of the country, there is a gunsmith here in Melbourne, Australia that is doing quite good work. PM me if you are interested and I will give you his details.

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #15353 - 30/05/04 11:44 PM

Phil,
First of all, I'd say "Don't do it".
I considered doing it with my Hollis. Decided that the reregulation that might need to be done wasn't worth the effort. If you are going to "restore" the rifle, then as stated above you need to do the whole rifle, reblack barrels, refinish the stock. . . ..
I decided that I'd rather have a working double than show piece.

Having said all that. . . .
Since there is no A. Hollis and Sons to restore the rifle, here is what I would do. The only people I would let case color my rifle would be DOUG TURNBULL
They know what they are doing and they do bone charcoal case coloring. They have a good reputation .

The only person who ever does work on my rifle is JJ Parodeau at CHAMPLIN FIREARMS Enid Oklahoma. JJ does outstanding work. He doesn't have a line of BS, just solutions!
JJ is a Master Gunmaker! I have seen him replace the barrels (resleeve) on a double. He does stock work.
He reregulated 400 NitroExpress's Hollis to a 60 cord rifle. JJ is trusted by several members of this forum.

I'm sure that there isn't a shortage of good double rifle restorers in the UK. I have seen several rifles that have been restored by Westley Richards.

Phil, in short, you can restore it. It's just time and money and finding the right people to do it.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/03
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: To Restore or Not to Restore [Re: Rusty]
      #15359 - 31/05/04 03:52 AM

Gentleman, many thanks for the advice and opinions, think I may just leave well alone. She shoots just fine and all that talk of warped actions and possible reregulation has put me off to say the least.

I wasn’t trying to make a new rifle from old, just get her looking as good as she can. The work I had done to the stock prior to picking her up worked out so well I just wondered if it was worth going that step further, maybe not.

Think I may just stick to finding that oak and leather case, trade label and fill it with period tools and whatnots.

Regards

Phil

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
      #15546 - 05/06/04 06:46 AM

I LOVE old guns that are mechanically solid but show some real wear...

keep it clean and keep it working and any imperfections just add character...

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
Re: To Restore or Not to Restore [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #15688 - 10/06/04 03:26 PM

Nothing more off-putting than a double rifle "restored to new" all shiny outside with worn bores.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3301

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com