Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Classic Swede 6.5x55mm

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Classic Swede 6.5x55mm
      #1527 - 08/02/03 11:53 PM

I have an ex-mil Mauser 96 (38) in 6.5x55mm.

At the moment it wears a simple black fibre-glass stock and cheap mounts and cheap scope.

As a FUTURE project I would consider getting it re-stocked with a new walnut stock and if so would like it to be stocked in a classic European manner and possibly a classic Swedish manner - the calibre being a Swede.

At the moment I am considering two possibilities:
  • A Mannlicher type full wood stock with the barrel shortened to 20 or 18 inches. Obviously there will be a trade off between velocity and handyness for this option OR
  • A Middle European type design with a snabel type stock, slim forend, but with the butt being setup for scope use. Barrel would be 22 or 24 inches. Barrel band on the barrel.

Both options would be setup for use with open sights with QD mounts plus probably a 4 x scope. A butter knife style bolt (right name?) handle for both as well.

I see both of these options would be great and especially with a calibre such as a 6.5x57mm or a 7x57mm. However my 6.5x55mm would be great too.

All of these calibres in a handy and lighter rifle would be pretty good for all Australian game bar Buffalo and Sambar.

BUT what would be the CLASSIC SWEDISH option? Most of the Scandanavian rifles I see are pretty much designed for the US market.

Any buddy out there who knows?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: Classic Swede 6.5x55mm [Re: NitroX]
      #1530 - 09/02/03 01:09 AM

Dont ask me I buy american guns

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Fritz
.224 member

Reged: 13/04/03
Re: Classic Swede 6.5x55mm [Re: cchunter]
      #2380 - 15/04/03 07:32 AM

Have a look here: http://hem.bredband.net/b102212/hva_pics.html I like the #146 stock, and actually have got such a rifle. Itīs fine for offhand shooting, and damned well balanced.

Fritz

Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
Re: Classic Swede 6.5x55mm [Re: Fritz]
      #2617 - 04/05/03 05:55 PM

NitroX,

I surely cannot tell you what a "traditional" 6.5X55 should look like, but I can say that the "Swede" is on my list of pet cartridges to own. I have an affinity for old, but very effective cartridges.

Included on my list is -

22 Hornet - I had one in a Casacade Arms - Serial #003 Oh, why did I let it go?!?!?
.250/3000 Savage - very, very sweet
7X57 Mauser - maybe the perfect medium-bore rifle cartridge
.35 Whelen - perfect for that shot-out .270 or .30-06

As for classic and romantic, I have a friend in England who has a 7X57 Mauser built on a FN with a full length Mannlicher stock, "butter knife" bolt handle, quarter rib with express sights and EAW QR mounts, and a double set trigger. It will make a grown man drool, absolutely beautiful, superbly balanced and shoots like a house afire. I offered him love or money, but I could not get him to let go of it. Can't say I blame him, but.... I still want one.

If I was doing a 6.5X55, here is how I would do it -

Classic stock with cheek piece(without shadow line)with Schanbel forearm with nice clean, simple checkering.

Metal work would include reworking the action, including lapping the lugs and truing the bolt face. Shortening the lock-time, replacing the safety, and adding a Timney? trigger. Reworking or replacing the bolt handle and adding one of the Oberndorf-type triggerguard/floorplate assemblies available. Simple express type iron sights, and barrel band for front sling swivel, and steel buttplate. EAW or similar QR mounts with a Burris Signature Series 1.5-6X. I would trim the barrel to 22" and have the whole thing buffed and browned.

So you would end up with a superbly balanced rifle that would weigh around 8 1/2lb with a full magazine. Very sweet.

Lynn Miller

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Classic Swede 6.5x55mm [Re: Miller]
      #4003 - 10/08/03 02:11 PM

I hav a very nice swede md 38, sporterised. Also have a 375, two 303's and a 505 Gibbs (of Course!)
The swede is a real sweet shooter and can outshoot me ofn just about any day! I have a lot of confidence in it and realy enjoy shooting it.
For ammo, I handload 129 grain Hornadys over a max load of 44350, hodgen or IMR, it dosent seem to matter and it just hums along.
One of the best groups I have shot was 5 rounds into 2.5" in a rapid fire contest. I took 17 seconds for my run !

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

SteveMalinverni
.224 member

Reged: 02/07/03
Re: Classic Swede 6.5x55mm [Re: NitroX]
      #4329 - 07/10/03 02:20 AM

About butter knife style bolt in Italy it is called "a coda di castoro" or "beaver's tail style" because the shape is more or less the same, sometime, "Mannlicher style", because it has been used for a long time by that historical brand.
I like that shape, but I found it no so efficent in fast action.
bye

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Classic Swede 6.5x55mm [Re: SteveMalinverni]
      #4352 - 08/10/03 12:27 PM

I have just ordered a model 96 6.5 x 55, in full military. Should be here soon!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3436

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com