Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My new CZ

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Sig55
.224 member

Reged: 22/05/04
Loc: Virginia
My new CZ
      #15076 - 22/05/04 11:27 AM

Hey guys,
This is my first post even though I've been following the forum for a while now. I just got my CZ550 american safari .375 today and I just had to express my satisfaction to someone (the fam isn't that impressed). The wood looks great (I got the fancy job)and the recoil is...well there isn't much of it. Ol' man Pachmayr really does his thing.

I have to agree with the others who have noted that the action is a little rough and the trigger creeps a bit. When you pull it you can litterally feel it going "creeeeeep". All and all though, a good investment. Almost got a Safari Express but the posts here convinced me otherwise.

This is the first rifle I've shot with more than 20 ft. lbs. of recoil and I was pleasantly surprised. Now I guess I've gotta go out and buy a Rigby. BTW, does anyone know of any QD mounts other than the Talleys?

John Sigmond

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
Re: My new CZ [Re: Sig55]
      #15081 - 22/05/04 01:13 PM

Welcome Sig, Yes they are a little rough, but none stronger or with as much promise. for the money non better... Having several CZ's or CZ based action rifles. I have come to the conclusion that the factory CZ mounts work best for me. Be sure to glass bed that stock, don't be one of the cracked stock statistics...

450D

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #15083 - 22/05/04 01:33 PM

Welcome!

Do what Dakota says...glass the stock before you need a replacement! Do it before you shoot another round!!! Things should be just fine then.

I, too, like the CZ550 for the price.

luv2

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

safari_hunter
.224 member

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
      #15092 - 22/05/04 09:34 PM

Sig55,

Welcome to the forum and well done on your purchase of the 550.
450Dakota is right in saying to strengthen your stock. My BRNO 602 .375 used to shoot dead centre 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with open sights. One day, out of the blue, it completely missed the target at the range. It was only when I moved the target to 50 yards I could see what was happening. My shots were hitting about 8-10 inches high.
I took my rifle to the gunsmith and luckily could not find any cracks in the stock. He recommended that cross-bolts be fitted and the action/barrel be bedded into the stock. I also had him shorten the rifle a little and added a red Decellerator pad.
The 602 is fitted with Warne QD mounts and a 2.5-8 Leupold scope.
I picked the rifle up from the gunsmith several days ago and haven't yet had a chance to shoot it.

Geronimo
.275 member

Reged: 14/04/04
Loc: Michigan,USA
      #15093 - 22/05/04 10:19 PM

The Warne Maxima mounts you see on safari hunter's rifle are IMO the strongest out there. Besides they're good looking and easy to use. I have been using them for several years now and never had any problems. When I take a shot at DG I immediately dismount the scope and stuff it in my pocket, then I'm ready for any up close encounters.

safari hunter
Have you tried flipping the levers straight up? I've tried every conceivable position and this one gets the levers away from the breach area and sort of makes them "dissappear". An added advantage is that when it's time to dismount the scope I just hook my thumb over the lever and pull back then a couple of twirls with my thumb and scope is off. Just a thought.

Geronimo

Hauptjäger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Hilo, Hawaii
Re: My new CZ [Re: safari_hunter]
      #15124 - 24/05/04 01:42 AM

Safari Hunter, very nice 602. In your Pic's I see that you have a non factory trigger. What is it? How does it shoot?

--------------------
To a point you can never have too much horsepower!

Hauptjager

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: My new CZ [Re: Hauptjäger]
      #15129 - 24/05/04 07:03 AM

That is the factory trigger for the 602...a bit different...but it worked well. The 550's have a more conventional looking trigger.

luv2

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Sig55
.224 member

#15171 - 25/05/04 04:48 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Sig

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #15267 - 28/05/04 12:15 AM

That is the factory SET trigger. The original 602's came with both regular trigger and set trigger. Simple matter to change over as the trigger mounts to the bottom metal.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #15272 - 28/05/04 02:24 AM

Sig55

Congratulations on your new rifle.

What are plans for it? Africa? Something nearer?

Good luck.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#15273 - 28/05/04 02:30 AM

Safari Hunter

I like the way your CZ looks.

I have Warne scope mounts too and have positioned the levers so they face away from each other and angled somewhat down. Out of the way of the action that way. Also the rings can be reversed so the levers are on the opposite side to the bolt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Sig55
.224 member

Re: My new CZ [Re: NitroX]
      #15365 - 31/05/04 11:22 AM

NitroX,

Right now I'm having trouble deciding b/t buffalo, brown bear, or elk. In any event, I'm planning on waiting a couple of years b/c I've just got out of law school and I don't know whether I'll be able to get that much time off for a while (no plans on chasing ambulances, I got lucky and got a less sleazy job working for a judge). This also gives me plenty of time to get fully used to the rifle before going hunting with it. That should be more fun than work though b/c it shoots great. I've never been on a hunt with an outfitter before, having taken deer mainly on our farm here in south-west Virginia. I'd love to go on a buff hunt, but I'm wondering whether I should start out with a less extravagent outing. Any thoughts?

Sig

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#15378 - 01/06/04 12:40 AM

Mate

I would just start using it on the simple hunts. Perfect for pigs if you hunt them. Fine for deer, it is over-gunned but why not if you wish. Bear and buffalo sounds perfect too.

What I like to do with my hunting rifles is also to setup game picture (deer or whatever) targets and practice shooting them at unknown or various ranges. Offhand at the closer ones and field positions at the longer ones. To see just what they (and I) am capable of and also ofcourse for great practice. Some fun too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #15387 - 01/06/04 02:31 AM

I use my 375 for darn near everything...even deer here in Pennsylvania.

DRA13F
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/04
Re: My new CZ [Re: 450Dakota]
      #15499 - 04/06/04 02:52 AM

I have a CZ550 American Safari Mag .416 Rigby. I love it. The trigger can be adjusted, just make sure after you adjust it you cock it and move the safety on and off, it should not fire! I have not had any problems with it. I do not think you can find a better rifle for the money. All the tweaking I hear about doesn't seem needed IMO. I have shot over 130 rounds so far and not one bad thing to say except it does kick, but I have become Seasoned! Good luck with yours, and let me know if you need help.

d.applegarth@insightbb.com

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: My new CZ [Re: DRA13F]
      #16190 - 25/06/04 01:31 PM

Warne QD mounts that have that pull out and set lever almost got me tossed by an angry buff...Recoil unbeknown to me flipped the lever around and blocked the bolt lift, fortunatly I had a good PH and I ended up on top of the buff....I had all Warnes QD, got home and sold them all an replaced them all with Talleys, a move I have never regretted.....I finished that hunt with the levers taped in place with electricians tape...

It happened to me again some time later on a gun I bought in 338 but only on a deer hunt...

Anyway for what its worth to you who use them, you have been forewarned.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4614

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com