Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stock-fit for scope

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
338X74R
.275 member

Reged: 19/05/04
Loc: Norway
Stock-fit for scope
      #15051 - 21/05/04 07:26 PM

Double rifles seem to be mostly stocked for used with open sights, and the ones I have tried have given little cheek contact when a scope has been mounted. 99% of my shooting will probably be with a scope, so I am thinking of ordering a gun with a stock made with a somewhat higher comb, primarily for the use with a scope in claw mounts. I would get an aperture sight to fit in the rear claw mount in case the scope is ruined or I should decide to use iron sights. I haven’t heard of anyone doing this, so I am looking for advice on whether this makes sense or not.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Stock-fit for scope [Re: 338X74R]
      #15052 - 21/05/04 08:16 PM

I like the idea of a peep on a double.
EAW offers a peep sight that installs into the rear base of their QD scope mount system.
It's not easy to have a comb height that is correct for both open and scope sights and a compromise has to be made somewhere.
I got around this problem to some degree on my 400-350 double by mounting the scope as low as possible using a custom base, low height rings, and a compact Leupold which has a small ocular lens housing diameter.
There is just enough room for my thumb to clear the ocular housing when pushing the top lever to break the gun.
The EAW QD system is nice quality and can provide a reliable return to zero but in my opinion the scope ends up too high and they are also a bit on the heavy side.

It is a sad fact, IMO that a scoped double never has the same wondefull feel and ballance of a quality double with open express sights!

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Stock-fit for scope [Re: 4seventy]
      #15056 - 22/05/04 12:38 AM

In reply to:

It is a sad fact, IMO that a scoped double never has the same wondefull feel and ballance of a quality double with open express sights!

Alan, I think that is true with Bolt Action rifles also. Most people don't shoot an unscoped rifle very ofted so they don't ever get used to the feel of one without the scope.

338/74R

Mounting the scope as low as possible in claw mounts is the best way to go. I have the same Ziess you want to use on a 9.3x74R and it is top heavy. I am thinking about putting a smaller scope on it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #15058 - 22/05/04 02:11 AM

I had a 9.3x74 Chapuis that I removed the scope mount blanks from the rib and had bases for Ruger rings machined to fit. With Ruger low rings a Leupold 1.5x5 VXIII was almost perfect with the factory stock. The only problem being insufficient clearance for comfortably working the top lever. Used medium rings and was very happy with it. My
problem is a short neck and as a result the scope requires
pretty rearward mounting. I just never liked the LOOKS of the rifle although it was a really good shooter.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #15066 - 22/05/04 06:15 AM

What I do with my Chapuis 9.3 with EAW mounts, that is stocked for open sights, is to use one of those leather comb rising attachments that alot of guys use for thier old shotguns. That way if I want to use the open sights I take off the comb riser when I take off the scope. Seems to work.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

jgttechjunkie
.275 member

Reged: 20/02/04
Re: Stock-fit for scope [Re: Chasseur]
      #15084 - 22/05/04 01:37 PM

I think Searcy is available with an underlever, which might make a low scope mounting more acceptable.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #15103 - 23/05/04 04:06 AM

338x74R
My Chapuis is the UGEX model, no cheekpiece. The stock is perfect for a scope. I have two scopes in factory Chapuis QD rings. I have to cheek the stock real hard to get down on the open sights, but it fits perfect with the scope.

338X74R
.275 member

Reged: 19/05/04
Loc: Norway
Re: Stock-fit for scope [Re: mickey]
      #15178 - 25/05/04 07:22 AM

in reply to:

"I have the same Ziess you want to use on a 9.3x74R and it is top heavy. I am thinking about putting a smaller scope on it."

The problem is that this scope is so damn nice.....
Do you think that a 9,5 Ibs (4,2 kg) gun (.375 Fl. NE) would be top-heavy with this scope?

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #15185 - 25/05/04 12:26 PM

I don't know. My rifle weighs 8 lbs with the scope so it would feel the weight more. It is a beautiful scope and I know that I will take a down grade in optics but I want to try it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Stock-fit for scope [Re: mickey]
      #15330 - 30/05/04 12:15 PM

You can not have both. I want
my see through to come up like
a shot gun. With optics all I
have to do is keep my head errect
and it is there. A good gun
fitter can help. Many good rifle
people have no concept of gun
fit;they think that is just for
shotguns. If they start with the
"it fits in the elbow to the wrist"
thing run away and dont look back.
Find a qualified fitter.

Ken
San Antonio

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2648

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com