Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Greek Mannlichers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
GK
.300 member

Reged: 29/10/09
Loc: Adelaide
Greek Mannlichers
      #150426 - 13/01/10 12:25 AM

I have only recently found out about this Forum and I'm must say that I'm really enjoying it.

For the past couple of years I have started a modest collection of Greek rifles used during the German invasion and the Greek Civil war (ie 1940-1948). Since then I have been lucky enough to aquire four examples (a 1903 rifle and carbine, a 1927 Breda rifle and an all matching System 1930 carbine).

Since owning these I have started to appreciate the design philosophy and the quality of the Mannlichers and I will hopefully purchase a commercial variant as well (or maybe two). I also have aquired a Steyr Scout as this is a modern day version of the earlier MS carbines, in my eyes anyway.

From reading the posts in this forum, it appears that quite a few of you out there have purchased Greek military examples for conversion into custom rifles.

If anyone has any Greek military stocks left over from their projects I would be very interested in purchasing these (or any original parts for that matter).

Regards

George

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
apr1775
.275 member

Reged: 02/10/08
Loc: Virginia, the united States of...
Re: Greek Mannlichers [Re: GK]
      #150440 - 13/01/10 01:27 AM

Both ssporters.com and e-gunparts.com have many parts but not stocks.

GK
.300 member

Re: Greek Mannlichers [Re: apr1775]
      #150537 - 13/01/10 06:33 PM

Yep, I've used both of them already for various small parts, however I'm looking for a decent Greek stock so I thought I'd ask.

I can definetly recommed Springfeild Sporters as they had good parts, were well priced and offered very cheap international postage. I would however suggest buying the "un-blued" parts as they offer "blued" as well but sometimes they can be fairly enthusiastic with the linisher.

E-gun parts has a $25 international charge and then charge heaps for postage. $20 worth of parts cost me nearly $AS 100 by the time they were finished.

Sarco also has a few mannlicher parts but my experience with them has to rank as one of the worst of any company I have ever dealt with. I ended up phoning them several times and was transfered through to various "operators" about a dozen times. The guy who is alledgedly responsibly for international orders is a waste of space. It might be different for US customers, but I would steer clear if your O/S.

Regards

George

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #150861 - 17/01/10 01:12 AM

GK,

My hearty welcome to the NE.com forums.

Join in often!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

darwinmauser
.300 member

Reged: 07/05/07
Loc: Darwin NT
Re: Greek Mannlichers [Re: CptCurl]
      #151331 - 21/01/10 11:18 AM

George ,I have bad news concerning Springfield Sporters ,apparently they no longer send parts overseas.

cheers
Pete

GK
.300 member

Re: Greek Mannlichers [Re: darwinmauser]
      #151499 - 23/01/10 01:12 AM

Hi Pete,
That is indeed bad news as I had very easy dealings with them on several occasions.
Luckily I have a mate who lives in Houston who I can hit up every now and again.
George

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #151543 - 23/01/10 08:01 AM

Hi GK,

Nothing like a "Care" package from friends.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Greek Mannlichers [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #151596 - 24/01/10 01:06 AM

Sorry GK,
I kept the mismatched stock to mine and worked on it. Angling up behind the rudimentary pistol hand, cutting it flat and adding an ebony cap, gives an appearance not unlike early MS sporters.

Until someone comes up with what you want, may I help keep the thread going by putting the following question?

I suspect commercial post-war FN Mausers may have had reworked military stocks: has anyone info as to whether this could be true of either marque?

- Paul

Edited by Paul (24/01/10 01:09 AM)

GK
.300 member

Re: Greek Mannlichers [Re: Paul]
      #151646 - 24/01/10 11:06 AM

Hi Paul,
No need to apologise, it's your rifle. Given that most Greek military MS rifles were heavily used
and rebuilt several times, the majority are not matching. From a non collectors view point a mis-matched rifle is fair game.

I was just posting on the off chance someone had an unused military stock because they had gone a custom stock from the start and had the original taking up space in the garage.

I am however mad at the previous owner of my 1930 System Carbine as this was all matching and in very good condition. They decided that it would look better with the stock sanded back to remove the cartouches.

Please post a picture of your rifle, I (and others) would love to see it.

Regards

George

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2937

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com