Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ 550 MAG FRONT SIGHT

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
greenshoots
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: uk
CZ 550 MAG FRONT SIGHT
      #149562 - 06/01/10 07:48 AM

looking for a bit of info guys just bought a cz 550 .375 h&h mag and i wish to remove front sight to install a barrel band swivel, how is it fixed on cant see any screws is it soldered or sweated
on

viv

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: CZ 550 MAG FRONT SIGHT [Re: greenshoots]
      #149578 - 06/01/10 10:27 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Greenshoots, I can't vouch for the current batch of CZ rifles but the BRNO and CZ rifles that I have worked on all had their banded front sights Soft Soldered onto the barrels.
In my experience, you can remove the front sight with out damaging the blued finish on the barrel but no guaranty on removing the banded front sight, unmarked!

You need to remove the front sight, the retention plunger and spring from the sight base, then clean the barrel out to remove any fouling and solvent or oil from both the in and outside of the barrel.
You then need to apply heat from an LP Gas torch (Not Oxy Acetylene!!!), to the ramped portion of the sight base and allow the heat to transfer to the rest of the sight base and in doing so, the solder. When the sight has reached the correct temperature you May start to see beads of solder start to emerge from the joint between the barrel and sight base. You then attach a pair of Pre-Adjusted Vice Grips (with the jaws wrapped in Masking Tape) and try to remove the sight base by pulling it forward and off the barrel. If it wont come off, it may require some additional heating?

You would also need to place a small datum mark on the band of the sight and the barrel for the correct timing orientation of the front sight, back onto the barrel after the sling swivel is installed.

The easier option, is to measure (imperial) the barrel at the position you would like to place the barrel mounted sling swivel. Then purchase an Uncle Mikes two piece sling swivel of the appropriate diameter and clamp it onto the degreased barrel, with some 601 Grade Loctite!!!
Job Done!!!

Hope this Helps?

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2912

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com