Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Weapon and caliber.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
Weapon and caliber.
      #149400 - 03/01/10 11:50 PM

Hello, first Happy New Year to all. I hope that in 2010 you and all your loved ones Rejoice in good health, love and money.

I in this new year I buy another draft rifle, a Weatherby Vanguard (the one with fiber butt) in 7 mm Remington Magnum caliber. I want to use for some stalking of deer and deer, as well as our peculiar Monteria, where a pack of dogs (we call them Rehal), push the pieces of fighters to certain places where hunters armed expected hunt the animals who are fortunate enough to see. I want to give me your views on the size (7 mm RM) and on the gun. If it were possible to know how far has this caliber effective?

Thank you,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Edited by ovny (03/01/10 11:51 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Weapon and caliber. [Re: ovny]
      #149410 - 04/01/10 04:07 AM

Oscar

Congrats on the new gun...as to the 7mm Remington Mag..it will kill as far as you can shoot...ironic, saw a guy on a TV show yesterday (BEST OF THE WEST) shoot a moose in Alaska at 885 --yes, 885 yards using what was I believe, a 180gr Berger bullet and shooting a custom rifle chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum..

While I do NOT condone shooting that far on animals..merely stating that given proper bullet selection and practice, one can shoot a very, very long way with that caliber...and be effective..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ovny
.375 member

Re: Weapon and caliber. [Re: Ripp]
      #149414 - 04/01/10 05:16 AM

Ripp Hi, Happy New Year. I am glad that the size you like. I want to complete my gunsmith with a size smaller and serve me to shoot long distance. Thank you very much for your reply.

Sincerely,

Osca

--------------------
I am Spanish

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #149423 - 04/01/10 07:40 AM

Osca - I suggest that you shoot the gun as much as you can to learn it. Handload if possible so you can afford shoot more.

I personally don't believe a hunter should shoot big game farther way than about 300 yards and that most people's effective range is about 1/15th that from hunting positions. I have seen too many people buying high velocity MAGNUMS because some advertizing agency said they were effective on moose at 600yards, yet many people buy them just for this supposed long range shooting, but can't put 3 consecutive shots on a 100 yard target from the bench, let alone from normal hunting postions, rested or not. Hunting is about hunting, not sniping. Get close and kill with one shot. Between your tightening up on the trigger at long range and the gun going off and the bullet striking, the animal can take a step fore or backwards or turn. Any of which gives a bad, wounding hit. This doesn't even take into consideration the wind which will move your bullet feet over ranges of multiple hundreds of yards. A perfet hold on a stationary animal can mean a no-crippling wounding shot or a complete miss.

Practise with the gun as much as possible and practise shooting from hunting postions, prone, kneeling and standing - all with rests and without.

Clean it properly every time you use it, look after it and it will reward you with success.

Congratualtions.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

ovny
.375 member

Re: Weapon and caliber. [Re: DarylS]
      #149433 - 04/01/10 09:31 AM

Hello Daryl_S , I am completely in agreement with you. I think that hunting is approaching the animal and seek to give a rapid and dignified death. But I am also the lover of weapons and the ballistics. You don't be afraid, I am going to hunt as properly, but I also like throw to inanimate objects (drums, targets) and hence if that I want to put the white away.

Thank you

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #149438 - 04/01/10 12:21 PM

Ovny-

Years ago I shot with a bunch of guys who'd keep history books for each and every one of their rifles.
Every rifle had a book.
Every shot was recorded:
-Bullet/Brass/Primer/Powder/Velocity
-Sight Picture/Hold/Call/Point of Impact
-Altitude/Visibility/Temperature(estimated AND actual)/Humidity(est&act)
-Range(est&act)/Angle(est&act)/Wind(est&act)
-Position/EtCetera

The books exist as a complete living history of the rifles, and there's a lot to learn from each/all of the lists of data.

I think you would likely do well with such a record of your high-power long-range rifle -- or any rifle you have.
You will have the chance to get the most from every shot you fire, and with that information you'll be able to make the most from any opportunity you get in the field.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Weapon and caliber. [Re: tinker]
      #149464 - 05/01/10 12:37 AM

Tinker

That seems like a great idea--I keep a log for some of my "better" guns as far as total shots--but the other info would be really cool to see over an extended period of time..thanks for the info

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ovny
.375 member

Re: Weapon and caliber. [Re: Ripp]
      #149478 - 05/01/10 03:00 AM

I note Tinker, seems a great idea.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3307

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com